Is John Marino for real?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Hello. Rangers fan coming in peace here. I was just wondering, is this guy for real? Marino interests me a lot, because his production in college was nothing to write home about, but he’s certainly been producing recently. Why is that? Luck? Or is he actually good? He sort of reminds me of Neal Pionk, who produced pretty good numbers in college, but produced like a stud once he got to the NHL. But he was not very good defensively and his analytics were horrible. I’m just wondering if this is a similar situation with Marino or if he’s actually good.

I admittedly watched very few Penguins games this season, and when I did, I didn’t really focus on Marino. Also, if someone can give me a quick scouting report on him, that would be much appreciated. He’s just a guy that genuinely intrigues me. Thank you.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
On any given night he ranges from top ten d-man in the league to average #4 defenseman. I wouldn't say at any time this year he's looked like less. He's been very steady for Pittsburgh this season and many nights he's been our best defender. No joke.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
On any given night he ranges from top ten d-man in the league to average #4 defenseman. I wouldn't say at any time this year he's looked like less. He's been very steady for Pittsburgh this season and many nights he's been our best defender. No joke.
8mdDdoJ.gif

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Definitely seems like he's for real. Sure-fire 2nd pairing, all-around guy with great skating and stickwork and a great sense for the flow of the game. Will likely be a top pairing guy in a few years with grooming and development under Gonchar and Martin.

Still would like to see us land a stud offensive LD to pair with him though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I didn't say he was a top-10 d-man, but only that on certain nights he looked like one. Please save your looking-for-any-excuse-to-use-your-ready-made gifs on someone who says something wrong.......
I understand what you said. I think you are overstating things by a lot, which is the same as thinking you said something wrong I guess.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I understand what you said. I think you are overstating things by a lot, which is the same as thinking you said something wrong I guess.

Would you say he's looked like less than a #4 d-man this season? Because I wouldn't.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Would you say he's looked like less than a #4 d-man this season? Because I wouldn't.
Nope. You know which part of what you said I disagree with. I bolded and underlined it, and you responded to that part already.

I love Marino btw, and I think he was the most important addition to our roster from last year to this year.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Marino is effective at skating the puck out and is solid positionally. He often takes too long to make decisions when he's around the puck which has led to critical mistakes, as he is continuing to adjust to NHL speed. Hopefully he continues to improve, but he has certainly never looked like a top 10 guy or even a top pairing one at this point. He ranges from a puck moving 2nd pair guy to a #6, which is more than I expected from a first year player.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
He’s not a top pairing guy, but he’s the Trevor Daley replica we’ve needed the last few years.

He's not a top pairing guy yet. But he could very well be.

I can't remember who said this but if Marino were an eligible prospect and we did a prospect ranking of the Pens system right now...he'd easily be #1.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I can't remember who said this but if Marino were an eligible prospect and we did a prospect ranking of the Pens system right now...he'd easily be #1.

Top pairing guy in the Dumoulin vein? Sure.

He isn’t carrying a top pairing in his career. We don’t need to overestimate what he is.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tbf, Marino has now played quite a few games where he's played 20+ minutes where he's contributed individual production and to utterly dominant possession stats. Those are the results you want from your 1D. He's growing and growing and seems to be taking every challenge completely in his stride and I really don't know where his ceiling lies. If he's not a true 1D, then I think he could be the sort of offensively competent high defence 2D that keeps causing a debate over whether they're a 1D.

As for what he is now... Marino seems completely nerveless. He never panics, he almost always makes the right choice. Poise is the word everyone uses to describe him. Combine that with very good skating and a long stick and he's a pita to get around in his own zone, transitions play well, and is starting to show more and more offensive chops. To answer OP's question though - Marino's actually good. He can really defend. At first I thought he was just a mini Dumo tbh.

Is he for real? I can't answer properly this with so few games. But I feel like yes. I've been waiting for him to drop off because 22 year old former 6th rounders in their first pro season just don't do this. Its freakish. I'm no longer waiting. The drop-off may never happen. He just keeps getting better. I don't know exactly how good he'll be but I'll be shocked if he doesn't end up as at least a good NHL dman.

edit: re the whole "nights where he's looked like a top 10 dman"... there's been nights where it's looked like we don't miss Letang at all, and he was playing the Letang role (minus PP), sooooo.... I'd rather just say one-off performances don't matter, and get why people don't want to go there, but it's not a totally outrageous statement.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Top pairing guy in the Dumoulin vein? Sure.

He isn’t carrying a top pairing in his career. We don’t need to overestimate what he is.

He can make plays Dumoulin cannot. And he's making those plays while being ultra steady defensively.

I don't think he's gonna be a #1D-man. But from what I've seen, I wouldn't cap his ceiling at Dumoulin.

Reactions: dood

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Young right handed Brian Dumoulin. Big frame. Good skater, solid positionally with a good first pass. Won't ever put up huge points but won't hurt you anywhere either. Can hold down the Pens #4 for the next decade if he so chooses. Extremely happy to have him, especially considering how little we had to trade for him.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015

LOL, he entered and graduated out of the prospect pool in an single training camp. Kid has undoubtedly been told to go find an apartment by now because he's not going down barring a huge drop-off.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad