Is John Marino for real?

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I capped his ceiling at a Daley. He could play on a top pairing. But he is going to be supporting someone.

.....and you know this after 27 games........all hail the greatest NHL scout in history! Something tells me if the Pixies were having a barbecue, you'd piss on their grill tell them they're not as good as they should be. Man your shtick is old. Being hyper critical doesn't make anyone appear more intelligent, one just comes across as a hopeless, bitter, miserable person.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
.....and you know this after 27 games........all hail the greatest NHL scout in history! Something tells me if the Pixies were having a barbecue, you'd piss on their grill tell them they're not as good as they should be. Man your shtick is old. Being hyper critical doesn't make anyone appear more intelligent, one just comes across as a hopeless, bitter, miserable person.

Hyper critical? I love Marino?

Is saying he hasn’t looked like a top ten D hyper critical?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He has immediately stepped in as a middle pairing defenseman. He is going to be pressure tested here soon because of all of the injuries. I think his career will settle as a really good #3. He can play top pair in a pinch, or be a top pairing guy if put with another top pairing guy. Good for solid defense and 40 points.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am just hoping that the Pens win enough games that I do not regret the sixth round pick being too high in the sixth round.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Marino is effective at skating the puck out and is solid positionally. He often takes too long to make decisions when he's around the puck which has led to critical mistakes, as he is continuing to adjust to NHL speed. Hopefully he continues to improve, but he has certainly never looked like a top 10 guy or even a top pairing one at this point. He ranges from a puck moving 2nd pair guy to a #6, which is more than I expected from a first year player.

Eh, I disagree with the bolded. There are stretches where I think he's looked like he can form a really good shutdown pairing with Dumoulin when he stepped into that role with Letang out. I don't think Marino's shown #1 defenseman play, but I think if we can agree that a guy like Dumoulin looks like a top pairing D-man, so can Marino at times.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Yes.

I don't have anything else to add besides this emphatic yes.

I posted this in the salary cap thread, but I'll post here as well:

As much as I freaking love Marino, I'm still worried about him hitting a wall. Most rookies do. And don't forget that Marino hasn't played more than 35 games in 4 seasons and never more than 60.

By chance do you have any stats or correlation on this "rookie wall"? If anybody does I'm assuming it's you. :laugh:

Reactions: Pittsburgh1776

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
He can play in a phone booth.

Goes back to what others have already mentioned, his tremendous poise. He is amazing at handling and passing the puck in traffic. (He has that in common with Makar. Not that he is in that stratosphere overall.)

To be able render Jack Johnson as neutral, is just amazing in itself.

Reactions: JTG

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I can't read these words and not think of this.

tenor.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wait, so he's not just some randomly generated EA NHL player that people here are magically all getting in their games with decent potential?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Whatever he is going to be, I hope JR and the gang have a few more such moves in the pipeline. A rookie college kid with no hype coming in looking absolutely at ease playing 1st pairing... for a 6th.

Hahaha!

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Marino is playing like everything we thought Maatta was going to be (during his rookie year) but also a better skater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad