Is Jim Benning now the worst GM in the NHL?

Is Jim Benning now the worst GM in the NHL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Benning’s only real pro scouting ‘hit’ has been Roussel who’s mostly in people’s good books because of his shenanigans. They still overpaid for him and that contract could look bad in it’s later years.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Benning is responsible for the McCann pick, and I never said otherwise, but I’m not responsible for your lack of reading comprehension.

You stated that we should not count the McCann pick in evaluating Jim Benning’s performance in the first round since he acquired that pick from Anaheim. Why shouldn’t we? If we shouldn’t count it, then he obviously cannot be responsible for the pick, otherwise we would clearly count it.

You originally asked me to find evidence of the above, and I did. In doing so I broke down your claims in the most simplest of terms, and conveniently, you have repeatedly not responded to these posts.

Instead you childishly attack my reading comprehension skills.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So if I understand you correctly, you’re saying that the Canucks have had one of the lowest point totals in the league during their rebuilding stage? :o :o :o

Interesting.

In other news, it was revealed that Shaquille O’Neil has had a bigger shoe size than the average Japanese man over the past 4 years.

A rebuilding stage? You mean when they went after veteran free agents and tried to make the playoffs?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If you look back in history, I think most, perhaps all, teams that successfully rebuilt after being bottom feeders for a few years had a few stinkers for picks.

In the case of Benning, he flat out blew other teams into the Pacific Ocean with that Pettersson pick.......and its looking more and more likely that Quinn Hughes will be the toast of his class as well outside of everyone named Rasmus Dahlin. Brock Boeser also goes Top 10 in a 2015 redraft.

Or perhaps Team Tank has it right. All of our successful draft picks was due to Bracket’s brilliance. In reality, Benning was in Czechoslovakia trying to coax Peter Nedved to come out of retirement. I heard this from a friend who has a cousin whose brother in law works at CanucksArmy.

Go back to the Summer of 2018: People on Team Tank were literally tearing up because Jim Benning passed on Jack “generational talent” Wise and instead, opted for Tyler Madden. You can’t even make up this comedic gold. This place never ceases to amaze me.

“Mark my words guys, Casey Mittelstadt’s game won’t translate at the NHL level,” LMAO.

There’s been a ton of questions about QH ability to defend in his own end. If this is true at an NHL level, his smoothe skating and decision making won’t matter as you can’t play if you can’t defend. We won’t know until we see it him in the NHL. Ray Ferraro has doubts and he knows his stuff.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
There’s been a ton of questions about QH ability to defend in his own end. If this is true at an NHL level, his smoothe skating and decision making won’t matter as you can’t play if you can’t defend. We won’t know until we see it him in the NHL. Ray Ferraro has doubts and he knows his stuff.
Where did Ferraro say this? I want to listen.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Makes no sense to say “He drafted EP40 and QH”. That’s like saying “I called in sick 5 times this month but showed up the other 25 times.”

You’re expected to draft an NHL player in the top 10. Elite or not, an NHL player if you have any competence.

He drafted JV18 who would not be in the NHL on most teams and OJ who likely won’t be in the NHL even on our terrible Defense ever.

Mind blowing that those blown picks are talked about so casually as normal.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Oh I forgot to mention,

Signing guys like Gagner , Delzaster, to multi year deals , only to eat cap space to get rid of them. Players that don’t even play out their contracts is a terrible reflection on GMs.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I just can’t, ever, get over the fact that people think the same guy who thought Gudbranson was a good player with a good first pass after watching him play *in the NHL* for 5 years could simultaneously be providing huge value to the organization by making genius projections of what an 18 y/o will look like years from now.

It’s just too idiotic for words. We have 5 years of pro scouting to empirically prove that Jim Benning is really, really, really bad at evaluating hockey players.
You're omitting another key factor. Jethro thought there was an equivalent D on the Canucks that he was paired up with on the Panthers. The only time he had top 4 duty and didn't look like he **** the bed.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You’re expected to draft an NHL player in the top 10.

unfortunately this doesn't happen all the time. You're a hockey fan right? due some research yourself. I'm not saying it's ok, to screw up a top 10 pick. I will hate to see it happen to us, but it happens more often then you think, Griffin Reinhart, Michael Dal Cole, Fail Yakupov, Ryan Strome, Dylan Strome, to name a few.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
For those who attribute drafting to the GM, I always harken back to this blurb: 31 Thoughts: Rogers wanted NHL trade deadline in primetime - Sportsnet.ca

Jim Nill, Stars GM on what it's like becoming a GM: “Yes. Reacting the wrong way or saying something at the wrong time. I may not have succeeded. The biggest change for me, is that when you become GM, there’s less hockey and more managing. I was lucky to be in Detroit with good people. Ken Holland. Scotty Bowman. The Ilitches, you see that part. I would have failed. I wouldn’t have managed the business the right way. I was used to scouting, finding good players. Now you’re not in that position. You hire people to scout, to figure out your cap. Your success is dependent on people you hire, putting them in right situations to be successful. If that makes sense.” Yes it does.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
unfortunately this doesn't happen all the time. You're a hockey fan right? due some research yourself. I'm not saying it's ok, to screw up a top 10 pick. I will hate to see it happen to us, but it happens more often then you think, Griffin Reinhart, Michael Dal Cole, Fail Yakupov, Ryan Strome, Dylan Strome, to name a few.

Sam Bennett, Puljujarvi, we’ll probably be adding Juolevi to that list. With the latter it’s particularly galling as everyone knew Tkachuk was the easy pick. But it happens every year, and has happened to all teams.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

Didn’t you just complain about people making fun of Jim Benning’s middle name? Is this really happening?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
For anyone who thinks Jim Benning is a good GM ponder this...

There are two good defenceman on the Vancouver Canucks that you could even call first pairing. Edler and Tanev. They were both here before Benning. In 5 years of trying he has not been able to add one single good defenceman at the NHL level. His list of pro additions on defence is embarassing.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm not trying to sell a Benning to join the anti or pro group. I respect both sides wether they want him gone or like. this type of group believe me, and I kid you not, exist on cdc, canuckscorner, and on hfboards.com. I understand that. the last few years I was on the pro side. this time around I'm closer to the anti side. however, I'm not someone that wants him to get absolutely wrecked. The Success of the team is more important then wether Benning gets fired or not.

I love draft picks. but man.... do some of you guys overvalue draft picks way to far. It's truly not as bad as some of you anti benning group make it up to be. Once again, if Benning doesn't move a top 5 pick this season, it will be 3 straight drafts he didn't move a top 5 round pick.

the 4th rounder in the pedan trade became
Slava Demin Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
the 2nd rounder we gave up in the Sven Baertchi trade
Rasmus Andersson (b.1996) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
the 2nd rounder we gave up in the Gudbranson trade
Rasmus Asplund Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
the 2nd rounder we gave up in the Linden vey trade became
Roland McKeown Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
The 3rd rounder we gave up in the trade to get pedan
ended up becoming William lock wood which the pick made it’s way back to us.
The story behind this is that the trade we gave up in the Brandon Sutter trade back in 2015, also ended up being the same pick. Please Wikipedia this.
Acquired from Vancouver with Adam Clendening and Nick Bonino for Brandon Sutter and round 3 pick in the 2016 draft (William Lockwood). Pick previously acquired by Vancouver from Anaheim for Kevin Bieksa.
Acquired from Pittsburgh with Brandon Sutter for Adam Clendening, Nick Bonino and round 2 pick in the 2016 draft (Filip Gustavsson). Pick previously acquired by Pittsburgh from Buffalo for rights to Dan Bylsma. Pick previously acquired by Buffalo from with Chad Johnson, Michal Neuvirth and round 3 pick in the 2016 draft (William Lockwood) for . Pick previously acquired by NY Islanders from Vancouver with Alexandre Mallet for Andrey Pedan.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The absolute worst way to analyze what you lost in a draft pick trade is to only look at the player the other team selected. It doesn't tell you anything.

Trotting it out continually is silly, and if the team is only doing that rudimentary level of analysis it's no surprise they gave away a full years worth of picks in 4 seasons.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The absolute worst way to analyze what you lost in a draft pick trade is to only look at the player the other team selected. It doesn't tell you anything.

Trotting it out continually is silly, and if the team is only doing that rudimentary level of analysis it's no surprise they gave away a full years worth of picks in 4 seasons.

Yup, it’s a false equivalency that is not rooted in reality, logic, or reason. I really don’t understand people who use other team’s picks to put a value on who we would select if we retained the pick. It would only make sense if we shared the same management and scouting as the team that made the pick. It’s absurd.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yup, it’s a false equivalency that is not rooted in reality, logic, or reason. I really don’t understand people who use other team’s picks to put a value on who we would select if we retained the pick. It would only make sense if we shared the same management and scouting as the team that made the pick. It’s absurd.
It's fun to track the transaction by seeing this, but it's not analysis.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Sam Bennett, Puljujarvi, we’ll probably be adding Juolevi to that list. With the latter it’s particularly galling as everyone knew Tkachuk was the easy pick. But it happens every year, and has happened to all teams.

What I take away from this is you can just either let the scouts draft without any GM input or even just take central scoutings highest ranked player at your position and the end result wouldn't be that much different from having Jim Benning as the GM. There's a couple of teams that are exceptionally good at drafting/developing, and a couple of teams that are exceptionally bad at it, but the majority just fall in the much larger middle ground where the above statement is true. It's why if I'm evaluating a GM (not hat my opinion means anything) draft results are way down the list on what's important.

Reactions: 420Canuck

lawrence

May 19, 2012
What I take away from this is you can just either let the scouts draft without any GM input or even just take central scoutings highest ranked player at your position and the end result wouldn't be that much different from having Jim Benning as the GM. There's a couple of teams that are exceptionally good at drafting/developing, and a couple of teams that are exceptionally bad at it, but the majority just fall in the much larger middle ground where the above statement is true. It's why if I'm evaluating a GM (not hat my opinion means anything) draft results are way down the list on what's important.

if we actually followed central scouting we wouldn't have Horvat, Pettersson and Boeser today. Swap them out with Nikushkin, Kylinton, and Vilardi is the end result if you really believe any team can get away with following central scouting whom I think it's also a joke at times.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Makes no sense to say “He drafted EP40 and QH”. That’s like saying “I called in sick 5 times this month but showed up the other 25 times.”

You’re expected to draft an NHL player in the top 10. Elite or not, an NHL player if you have any competence.

He drafted JV18 who would not be in the NHL on most teams and OJ who likely won’t be in the NHL even on our terrible Defense ever.

Mind blowing that those blown picks are talked about so casually as normal.

I don't get your calling sick reference. Are you suggesting that it's not worthwhile to point out EP40 and QH were drafted? Cause I would say you calling in sick 5 times is lot more relevant than you having showed up 25 other times.

I don't think blown picks are talked about casually as normal. Do some posters dismiss it? Ya. Life is like that. If NHL player is the barometer, JV and Juolevi were considered safe picks. I also disagree that you don't think JV is an NHL player on most teams. I think he is. You make it sound like that he was gifted ice time and opportunities here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad