Is Jim Benning now the worst GM in the NHL?

Is Jim Benning now the worst GM in the NHL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
i guess this all depends on the recent transactions of whatever gm is still around but i'd definitely throw him in the bottom tier and whoever's dead last is pretty much based on whoever made the most recent shitty transaction.

gun to my head i'd probably take him over dorion and tallon

Last edited:

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
He has still done some dumb shit in the last year or so. He's been pretty quiet since the season is started (the Leivo/Nilsson trades aren't enough to elevate him on the bottom tier), we'll see how he does in the Edler contract negotiations and how he handles the trade deadline. Still probably in the lower tier of the league, not far off from the absolute worst although maybe Dorion would be below him.

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
He’s bottom 10 close to a 5
Simply because he has been quite conservative since Linden left

yeah this is where i stand too

i feel like there isn't as much pressure to do well as there was years 2014 to 2016 and i think aquilini has opened up to the idea of not going all-in on making the playoffs.

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
I think Benning has gotten better over time and started as a rookie GM who was bound to make mistakes. It's frustrating that he's still making some of the same mistakes. Regardless, Dorion is the worst in the league.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
People voting no should be providing other GM names that are worse. A case can be made for Dale Tallon based on how poorly he managed the expansion draft, firing Gallant, and the overall performance of the Panthers during his tenure there. Dorion as well based on that fiasco, but ownership has a lot to do with those decisions. I can’t think of any others that are worse than Benning though. Maybe Waddell or Bergevin.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
People voting no should be providing other GM names that are worse. A case can be made for Dale Tallon based on how poorly he managed the expansion draft, firing Gallant, and the overall performance of the Panthers during his tenure there. Dorion as well based on that fiasco, but ownership has a lot to do with those decisions. I can’t think of any others that are worse than Benning though. Maybe Waddell or Bergevin.
Dorian
Tallon
Beegervin (he’s made one good trade and suddenly ppl forgot how bad was he)
Fletcher with the Wild
Bob Murray recently with the Ducks
Jim Nil with the stars (Thier drafting is hands down worst in the league)

Edit:How did I forget Ken Holland

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I think that Benning, Dorion, Holland, Chayka, and Tallon comprise the bottom tier of GMs based on recent track record. I don't think it is clear that Benning is the worst of that group.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Not even close.

-Top 3 prospect pool in NHL
- drafted franchise player

He isnt anything special but he is definitely not even in top 5 or 10 worst GMs working.

Huh?

There is pretty much only Hughes left. Everyone else is just a big question mark. With Pettersson in the NHL and Demko finally getting the back up job, the prospect pool looks actually very bleak considering this team still has tons of holes on the roster.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I’d reserve my judgment for now, like how other posters said, he’s been quite conservative since tl’s departure. Wonder what happens this trade deadline

People keep saying things like this

Until July 1st hits and he again overpays the wrong targets and people are left dumbfounded

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Bottom 10 gm
But not the worst
Has gotten better nearly every year

Reactions: dwarf

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Bergevin has signed some pretty bad contracts and the Subban trade was awful but he's made quite a few shrewd buy low moves for Petry, Domi, Danault, Armia etc. which is more than can be said about most GMs around the league, I'm not sure I would take Benning over him to be honest.

Last edited:

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Huh?

There is pretty much only Hughes left. Everyone else is just a big question mark. With Pettersson in the NHL and Demko finally getting the back up job, the prospect pool looks actually very bleak considering this team still has tons of holes on the roster.

You really have to do your homework
Go look at a list of the top 175 players not in the NHL
Vancouver does very well...…..I will refer you to Butchie26 here on HF Board to start with

What a Troll thread...…...you guys are so negative

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Bergevin has signed from pretty bad contracts and the Subban trade was awful but he's made quite a few shrewd buy low moves for Petry, Domi, Danault, Armia etc. which is more than can be said about most GMs around the league, I'm not sure I would take Benning over him to be honest.

i don't think he's good per se but if bergevin was in dallas or some shit i don't think his transaction history would be looked on nearly as negatively

subban-weber will always weigh down his reputation though

Reactions: cookiefest

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
People keep saying things like this

Until July 1st hits and he again overpays the wrong targets and people are left dumbfounded
I watch the team too you know, while I’m able to recognise the awful signings that he’s made I think you failed to realise that he’s actually improving compared to his first few years, he’s still not a good gym in my eyes and odds are that he’ll never be one but it seems pretty logical to be conservative, but hey that’s just me.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Middle of the pack. Which is progress as he started off poorly imo but getting better in better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad