Prospect Info: Is it too soon to discuss the 2021 draft?

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Mock drafts and rankings are all over the place. I think where the Kings end up picking they’ll miss out on one of the defenseman except for it seems Lambos, he seems to be ranked in the late teens.

But I’ve seen ones where Guenther, Eklund, Lucius and Johnson all are all in 7-10. It’d be nice getting a dynamic winger.

You could also look into trash the 2 2nds to get L’Heureux in the late first. He’s got that meanness that everybody seems to want. Been suspended 4 times this season.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Simple question for the people who have seen the draft elidable players are any nhl ready ?

I feel like the Michigan guys (Power/Beniers/Johnson) could all use another year of college. Power/Beniers maybe could play in the NHL next season but it might be too much to expect them to be a difference maker right away.

Seems likely that this could be a year where the Kings would be aggressive trying to move up in the 1st round.

As much as I love having trades in my mock draft, it's probably tougher to pull off in real life. I think a lot of us project pick movement like it's the NFL Draft, but football is just a different animal.

Just taking a quick look at the teams picking ahead of LA:

Buffalo - Probably not looking to move out of a top 3 spot to #10.

Anaheim - Ducks/Kings have swapped picks before, but would be surprised in this case.

Seattle - Probably would be content with a top 5 pick rather than an additional pick.

New Jersey - I don't see them trading out of Luke Hughes / Brandt Clarke range.

Ottawa - They already have a pair of high 2nd rounders. But maybe if they have eyes on Wallstedt/Cossa and think they can trade down. There were rumblings that their owner was trying to steer them towards Askarov last year.

Columbus - They picked up two late first rounders at the deadline. Seem more likely to move up than move down.

Detroit - They have two firsts and three seconds. Feel like they'd be more likely to move up for a LD.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
If a defensemen isn't there. And if Guenther is, they should draft the winger. The King's can still move a center or 2 for some defense men.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Without looking it up, the player value of this pick is what? I remember the Rangers traded Stepan for #7 and DeAngelo. That's the only player for pick move I can remember...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Not quite sold on Power form the limited sample size I have seen.

I do like Clarke and had the chance to see him live in the OHL before COVID shut everything down. Bit of an odd skater but his offensive prowess is there and he seems to read the game well.

Regardless, there is nobody that will make an immediate impact. As others have mentioned, this draft is more of an unknown than any in recent memory. Just get go with the assumed best player available.
If the Kings have a shot at Brandt Clarke do we entertain offers for Doughty and toss in Kopi-Star and Yafallo to boot! I'd throw in Dusty for a broken stick and some used tape too... The Kings could set themselves up forever here with former stars Kopi and Doughty as bait

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If the Kings have a shot at Brandt Clarke do we entertain offers for Doughty and toss in Kopi-Star and Yafallo to boot! I'd throw in Dusty for a broken stick and some used tape too... The Kings could set themselves up forever here with former stars Kopi and Doughty as bait
No one is taking those awful contracts.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Without looking it up, the player value of this pick is what? I remember the Rangers traded Stepan for #7 and DeAngelo. That's the only player for pick move I can remember...

In the last 10 years there's been some (and more going farther back):
2013 Cory Schneider (9th pick)
2012 Jordan Staal (8th pick)
2011 Jeff Carter (8th pick)

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
That Belarus goaltender kind of reminds me of Yaroslav Askarov against Sweden under 18 team! They are playing in Frisco-Plano,Texas

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
How about a team on the Cusp of a Stanley Cup bet they would love Doughty and Kopi
Too much term on those contracts remain. Is any GM going to believe Doughty is worth a cap hit of $11M until it finally ends in 2026-27?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Too much term on those contracts remain. Is any GM going to believe Doughty is worth a cap hit of $11M until it finally ends in 2026-27?
What about the Kings taking on half the hit and then throwing in Kopi-Star who only has 3 years remaining at 10 Million per...So Kings take on half that too and Yafallo and Dusty can go too...its doable I believe and there is an NHL club that would bite

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
What about the Kings taking on half the hit and then throwing in Kopi-Star who only has 3 years remaining at 10 Million per...So Kings take on half that too and Yafallo and Dusty can go too...its doable I believe and there is an NHL club that would bite
tenor.png

Reactions: andys

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

In a world where Jacob Trouba is worth 8, is there any doubt a contender really going for it wouldn't take a couple of extra years of Doughty to go for it now?

Would you have said no to Duncan Keith in 2015?

I don't think he's going anywhere but I think you might be forgetting 'contender mentality,' where people fall all over themselves for Jake Muzzins and Andrej Sekeras'.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Mock drafts and rankings are all over the place. I think where the Kings end up picking they’ll miss out on one of the defenseman except for it seems Lambos, he seems to be ranked in the late teens.

But I’ve seen ones where Guenther, Eklund, Lucius and Johnson all are all in 7-10. It’d be nice getting a dynamic winger.

You could also look into trash the 2 2nds to get L’Heureux in the late first. He’s got that meanness that everybody seems to want. Been suspended 4 times this season.

Mr. E5 on the Kings, we can only dream!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad