Prospect Info: Is it too soon to discuss the 2021 draft?

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I have no clue how Yennetti and his crew are scouting this year with all the challenges of Covid but regardless we are closing in on another top 5 pick. Best chance for that big LD. It's so wide open this year, in the 6-13 range there will be some good quality players that may go in a top 3 redraft down the road. So even if we pick say top 10, we will get a quality player.

Really hope to snag one of the top 4 LD Dmen though. We have no prospect of this caliber in the pipeline.
Power
Hughes
Edvinsson
Lambos

Remember only 2 lottery picks this year instead of 3.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I have no clue how Yennetti and his crew are scouting this year with all the challenges of Covid but regardless we are closing in on another top 5 pick. Best chance for that big LD. It's so wide open this year, in the 6-13 range there will be some good quality players that may go in a top 3 redraft down the road. So even if we pick say top 10, we will get a quality player.

Really hope to snag one of the top 4 LD Dmen though. We have no prospect of this caliber in the pipeline.
Power
Hughes
Edvinsson
Lambos

Remember only 2 lottery picks this year instead of 3.

Cool we can package that pick for Dahlin.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
And what else though? That's gonna be a hefty package.
Whatever the price may be. The Kings need experience and competency at D. Can't wait for it through the draft while Kopitar and Doughty are aging. Anything besides Byfield maybe.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Cool we can package that pick for Dahlin.

Dahlin won't get traded. Would you trade a 20 year old Doughty? It will take a massive package to move him. He is also going to get paid this off season. Say it's 8 million per, we'll carry an almost 20 million cap hit for the top pair. A top pair that is ready for the post season but the rest of the team isn't.

I do think our first is in play if the right LD is available though. But if the trade isn't there we better hope we land our own top D man this draft. I mean even a Ty Smith type would be huge for this team.

I would look for a mid to smaller deal to get a LD. Not sure who is available that can fit with the core going forward. Man the Avs screwed us with the Byram pick.

Reactions: KingTech

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Dahlin won't get traded. Would you trade a 20 year old Doughty? It will take a massive package to move him. He is also going to get paid this off season. Say it's 8 million per, we'll carry an almost 20 million cap hit for the top pair. A top pair that is ready for the post season but the rest of the team isn't.

I do think our first is in play if the right LD is available though. But if the trade isn't there we better hope we land our own top D man this draft. I mean even a Ty Smith type would be huge for this team.

I would look for a mid to smaller deal to get a LD. Not sure who is available that can fit with the core going forward. Man the Avs screwed us with the Byram pick.

I get that, but finding those type of defenseman through the draft is extremly tricky. I don't think the Kings are going to draft a defenseman like that, and they're gonna need a defenseman like that sooner rather than later.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
I get that, but finding those type of defenseman through the draft is extremly tricky. I don't think the Kings are going to draft a defenseman like that, and they're gonna need a defenseman like that sooner rather than later.

But you can't force a trade if it's not there. D men of high caliber will cost a hefty randsom and most of them are not available. Team's draft top line D men and keep them.

You don't need a first overall pick to get them.

Chabot
Smith
Chychrun
Nurse
Hughes
Makar
Heiskanen
etc..

Don't we have a good drafting team?, they need to find one soon in the draft and look for an oppurtunity to hopefully trade for one that fits our current and future needs.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I know squat about the top players in this draft, but just based on what I read I'm kinda hoping they can land Hughes.

You'll feel a lot better if you read up on about the top-15. Not much of a dropoff from 1-10ish really.

I do really like Hughes too. But there's something about Edvinsson...

Last edited:

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Well with this losing skid we can draft a decent defenseman for sure. wonder if maybe power will fall? i am going to hope

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Is any of the draft potential defense man ready to play nhl mins next year?

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
At this point I just hope we end up in the top 9. A lot can still change going up to the draft. There seems to me to be 8-9 guys that are discussed as potential #1 picks with little drop-0ff from 1-9. I feel there is a slight drop afterwards, but even in the teens you still get a great player. At this point I'd be ecstatic if we walked away with any of the following in loose order with not much separation:
Guenther, Powers, Clarke, Hughes, Beniers, Eklund, Johnson, Wallstedt, Edvinsson. If we end up 10-14 and none of those are there I'd want one of Lucius, Lysell, or Lambos.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
At this point I just hope we end up in the top 9. A lot can still change going up to the draft. There seems to me to be 8-9 guys that are discussed as potential #1 picks with little drop-0ff from 1-9. I feel there is a slight drop afterwards, but even in the teens you still get a great player. At this point I'd be ecstatic if we walked away with any of the following in loose order with not much separation:
Guenther, Powers, Clarke, Hughes, Beniers, Eklund, Johnson, Wallstedt, Edvinsson. If we end up 10-14 and none of those are there I'd want one of Lucius, Lysell, or Lambos.

I kind of agree re: the drop off point, I’d only add I actually feel those players have a similar ceiling, just less chance of reaching it, ie a guy like Lysell is pretty boom or bust

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
But you can't force a trade if it's not there. D men of high caliber will cost a hefty randsom and most of them are not available. Team's draft top line D men and keep them.

You don't need a first overall pick to get them.

Chabot
Smith
Chychrun
Nurse
Hughes
Makar
Heiskanen
etc..

Don't we have a good drafting team?, they need to find one soon in the draft and look for an oppurtunity to hopefully trade for one that fits our current and future needs.

lots of D in this draft. Also I think there are some good picks made the last couple years on D for the kings.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
lots of D in this draft. Also I think there are some good picks made the last couple years on D for the kings.

No doubt. Faber is looking good, Grans is still a project but he can be a steal if he develops like we hope. Under rated ones like Spence and Nousiainen.

We are just missing that big mobile LD. I trust our scouts to find one, this draft seems to have some good ones so we'll see.

Reactions: Guitpik

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
You'll feel a lot better if you read up on about the top-15. Not much of a dropoff from 1-10ish really.

I do really like Hughes too. But there's something about Edvinsson...

I'll definitely read up more, especially as the team is trending more and more towards a bottom-5 pick unfortunately. Mostly though I've been looking for stuff on Powers, Clarke and Hughes. I know Edvinsson is in the discussion as well. It'd be kinda hilarious though if we ended with another forward prospect

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
I'll definitely read up more, especially as the team is trending more and more towards a bottom-5 pick unfortunately. Mostly though I've been looking for stuff on Powers, Clarke and Hughes. I know Edvinsson is in the discussion as well. It'd be kinda hilarious though if we ended with another forward prospect

If that is the case at 10-14 Aatu Räty, got to go with another center right?

Reactions: Eagle Fang

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
We're gonna start a hockey revolution -- icing 4 centers and 1 defenseman ;). Hey from day 1 and for decades the RB & running game were the most important part of football and almost all the offensive plays. Now a RB is an afterthought and one of the least important positions. :huh::skeptic:;).
(No -- i'm not seriously suggesting that)

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
If that is the case at 10-14 Aatu Räty, got to go with another center right?

Might as well! Of course I'm joking, but when Amadio and Andersson were in ONT, from what I can remember they (the team) were pretty good and was when they had their winning streak. The best defense is a good offense, and they were so stacked at forward, it didn't matter their defense and goaltending sucked.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Hoping the Kings take Hughes or Guenther. Power is going #1, so unless we win the lottery it's not happening. Guenther gives the Kings the elite goal-scoring winger to hopefully play with Byfield for the next 12 years. Some say Arty will be that guy, and I like Arty but it'll be nice to add another finisher to the prospect pool. Beniers, I just have the same concerns as with Turcotte, amazing motor and competitor, I just wouldn't feel super stoked about the Kings taking him with a top 5 pick. Kent Johnson kind of the opposite, very skilled player with a huge ceiling, but his motor and competitive level may not what you want from a top 5-8 pick.

Hughes has some Doughty like traits and has come on huge the last couple of seasons, I remember when the Hughes brothers first were getting discussed Luke was seen as a distant third, not anymore. I think of all the d-man this year he has the best chance to be a future Norris winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad