Prospect Info: Is it too soon to discuss the 2021 draft?

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Here's an aggregate ranking FlamesNation did: 2021 NHL Draft Consensus Ranking – April edition

Still holding out hope for Edvinsson or Wallsteadt
I personally like Cossa's upside more than Wallstedt. I was a fan yet he hasn't had the strongest draft yr. He is safe yet I feel Cossa is too with a decently higher upside. I have the top 8-9 nearly interchangeable yet I'd take Powers, Hughes, and Clarke over Edvinsson. There is not a huge gap yet personally he is my clear cut 4th from the big 4 defenders. Unless we end up top 7, which I doubt I do not think we get one of the defenders anyhow. Probably realistically more in the 9-12 range looking at a Lucius, Lysell, McTavish, Sillinger, etc group.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I personally like Cossa's upside more than Wallstedt. I was a fan yet he hasn't had the strongest draft yr. He is safe yet I feel Cossa is too with a decently higher upside. I have the top 8-9 nearly interchangeable yet I'd take Powers, Hughes, and Clarke over Edvinsson. There is not a huge gap yet personally he is my clear cut 4th from the big 4 defenders. Unless we end up top 7, which I doubt I do not think we get one of the defenders anyhow. Probably realistically more in the 9-12 range looking at a Lucius, Lysell, McTavish, Sillinger, etc group.

The Kings have the prospect and draft capital to move up a few spots if there is a guy they really like a few picks ahead of them. This would be the perfect year to move up, with the OHL not even playing, and the rest of the leagues playing lighter schedules and the perception that the draft is really even from 2-8 (fair to assume Power is #1 at this point), if the Kings do like someone they should go for it.

If the Kings do keep their pick and go with a forward I'd like to see the Kings take a true goal-scoring winger as opposed to trying to turn centers into wingers down the road.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Without looking it up, the player value of this pick is what? I remember the Rangers traded Stepan for #7 and DeAngelo. That's the only player for pick move I can remember...

Coyotes also got Antti Raanta in the trade to be their presumed starting goalie.

Boston didn't have the cap space to sign Dougie Hamilton, so they traded him at the 2015 Draft for picks #15, #45, and #52. They offered him to Arizona for pick #3 (Boston wanted hometown kid Noah Hanifin) but the Coyotes countered with their 2016 1st rounder instead.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
The Kings have the prospect and draft capital to move up a few spots if there is a guy they really like a few picks ahead of them. This would be the perfect year to move up, with the OHL not even playing, and the rest of the leagues playing lighter schedules and the perception that the draft is really even from 2-8 (fair to assume Power is #1 at this point), if the Kings do like someone they should go for it.

If the Kings do keep their pick and go with a forward I'd like to see the Kings take a true goal-scoring winger as opposed to trying to turn centers into wingers down the road.

Totally agree. We need to start getting dudes that can put pucks in the net and not clank them off the posts. Top D-Man available or best pure goal scorer.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
The Kings are going to win the lottery -- that's a fact. But in an alternative Earth scenario where they didn't, i'd love to get Clark. But would be pretty happy with anyone really (Edvinsson, Wallstedt, etc.).
The draft should be a lot of fun considering there is such volitivity in player rankings within the top 10. Pretty crazy seeing rankings and mocks draft that look so different between all of them.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Not only does Luke Hughes fit what the Kings need, but he's also the youngest 1st round rated prospect, and the Kings have shown some preference for young players in the draft.

I've seen him ranked as high as 1st and as low as 11th. He's 2nd on the consolidated rankings. Mckenzie/TSN have him 5th.

Problem is Kings will likely be picking around 10th.

Reactions: Legionnaire

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
listening to the elite prospects podcast, they are saying this is a weak draft. Even 1-10 in this draft is closer to 10-20 in last years draft. Not saying I agree with them, just passing it along. That said, I'd still be pumped if we got one of those D men in the top 8-ish.

I feel this is a year that when we look back a decade from now the best player will have been taken outside of the first round. We will all point to our teams GM and wonder how they could have missed player X.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I feel this is a year that when we look back a decade from now the best player will have been taken outside of the first round. We will all point to our teams GM and wonder how they could have missed player X.

I think the how is easy to explain. That said, I could see this being the “worst” draft in sometime. Merely from the fact that all these players lost between 6-9 months of potential development in the last 12–14 months. That is time they will never make up as a whole. If anything trading picks this year for next may be the most advantageous route for many teams.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
For those interested, Canada v Sweden U18 World Championship is currently on TSN1 and TSN5. Mike Stothers is on the Canadian coaching staff.

Reactions: YP44

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Are any defensemen at the top of the draft ready to step into the NHL and play right away?

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
hell with the 2021 draft lets talk 2023. Bedard is going to be a game changer for whomever gets him.
Locally if I am the flames I am tearing things done in preparation for that year

I'd go for ultimate suckage in 2022 (Shayne Wright) and 2023 (Bedard). Turn the ship right around.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think the how is easy to explain. That said, I could see this being the “worst” draft in sometime. Merely from the fact that all these players lost between 6-9 months of potential development in the last 12–14 months. That is time they will never make up as a whole. If anything trading picks this year for next may be the most advantageous route for many teams.

yup or trading back

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This might be the year the Kings go with a goalie with their first pic. I'd be happy with it if the goalie was the BPA.

Around where they're picking, goalie may very well be BPA

but @AnThGrt also rightfully points out that while all the focus is on Wallsteadt (I mean, that's a f***ing awesome goalie name--doesn't it translate as "stable wall?"), Cossa is pretty ridiculous in his own right.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Around where they're picking, goalie may very well be BPA

but @AnThGrt also rightfully points out that while all the focus is on Wallsteadt (I mean, that's a f***ing awesome goalie name--doesn't it translate as "stable wall?"), Cossa is pretty ridiculous in his own right.
Closer translation would be, "Wall Place" or "Wall City" which is even more badass hahaha

I'm happy because this is the draft to be in the range we are in. Still a good shot at leaving with one of the top 3-5 players from the draft and a mix of interesting forwards, defenders (if one drops), and two goalies. Intrigued how we approach the draft

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Win more, trade the pick. Lose more, keep the pick. I have no idea about the caliber of this draft’s prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad