Is it time for Paul Maurice to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Over 6 years as the Jets head coach he's got a 235-162-48 record (.582 win %). These aren't Scotty Bowman numbers, but over a 6 year average (Including a rebuild) those are very respectable numbers and sure not reason enough to can Maurice.

It will take more than random lineup shuffle ideas put forth by the numbers nerds who are still dying on the Nic Petan hill to get management to can Maurice. Results are what matters, and it's going to require worse #'s than this year's mediocre finish to cost him his job.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Avs fan coming in peace. Have always liked your organization and fans.

You have a lot of talented players and I'm not sure that replacing your coach is the right move. I understand the frustration especially with high expectations.

The Blues are so strong and physical. Weird given that the Blues lost to the Sens late in the season and now they're moving on. Anyway, I'm interested to see if the Avs will play the Blues and if so, how they'd handle them given the Avs speed and strength. Thinking that may be the structure to beat them.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
After what Wheeler said, it poses more questions about the relationship between Wheeler/Scheifele relationship with Maurice than any kind of vote of "confidence." It has been rumored that Maurice is favoring certain players, and one player happens to be Wheeler. With a supposed rift in the dressing room, this cannot be looked at as a positive thing for Maurice.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It's funny to watch the life cycle of coach popularity.

17 years ago, Paul Maurice was a genius.
15 years ago, Paul Maurice was a bum.
10 years ago, Paul Maurice was a genius.
7 years ago, Paul Maurice was a bum.
4 years ago, Paul Maurice was a genius.
3 years ago, Paul Maurice was a bum.
This time last year, Paul Maurice was a genius.
Today, Paul Maurice is a bum.

Well, calling Maurice a genius all 3 of the years he managed to win a playoff round -and the year he was swept- is a bit rich for my tastes. But I see your general point. I think he's just a likable guy who's mediocre at his job.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
After what Wheeler said, it poses more questions about the relationship between Wheeler/Scheifele relationship with Maurice than any kind of vote of "confidence." It has been rumored that Maurice is favoring certain players, and one player happens to be Wheeler. With a supposed rift in the dressing room, this cannot be looked at as a positive thing for Maurice.
Perhaps his biggest fault is the inability to demand more from his top vets. Buff, Wheeler, Scheif, Perreault etc. The lack of discipline and accountability from this group is stunning.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Well, calling Maurice a genius all 3 of the years he managed to win a playoff round -and the year he was swept- is a bit rich for my tastes. But I see your general point. I think he's just a likable guy who's mediocre at his job.
I remember a few good words about him when he made the finals with Carolina, but mostly the critics have always been there. I don't think he is widely considered to be a good coach.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'm not a fan of his but I'm not sure there is an upgrade out there, I would give him another season.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Over 6 years as the Jets head coach he's got a 235-162-48 record (.582 win %). These aren't Scotty Bowman numbers, but over a 6 year average (Including a rebuild) those are very respectable numbers and sure not reason enough to can Maurice.

It will take more than random lineup shuffle ideas put forth by the numbers nerds who are still dying on the Nic Petan hill to get management to can Maurice. Results are what matters, and it's going to require worse #'s than this year's mediocre finish to cost him his job.

Results are what matters, so the guy who made the playoffs in 3 out of 5 full seasons and won 0 playoff rounds in 2 of those 3 seasons is definitely going to stay? Why?

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Yes, he wasn't good this year and that team was gelling at any point. Way too talented of a roster for this to happen, not to mention his minutes for certain players and unwillingness to change things cost them.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
When there's a star coach available and willing to take over, then I say we replace him. Jets are in the position to have a star coach, but if this was in 2016 then we'd be down for a prospect coach.

No point in replacing Maurice with somebody worse and not as experienced.

Reactions: BHD

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Seems like a really good guy, and players probably like him. But he is getting to that end of shelf life range for an NHL HC. When the coaching approach starts to get stale and the players may need a new voice and some fresh ideas. Of course Jets are not in a spot to be going for some no-name guy or young newbie. A guy like Quenneville would have been nice.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Maurice needs to go but some are right, there are no good alternatives out there. They stuck with him while all the good ones got picked up.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Honestly, the risk/reward of a new coach greatly outweighs the cost of another stagnant season under Maurice. The team needs a change..,
Coaches don't get fired on that basis, though. Like I said, he's done too many good things to give management reason to punt him, and considering Chevy has stuck to the long-term goal from Day One, with full buy-in on Maurice...why do you think he's going to get canned after two playoff appearances?

Chevy will need a good reason, and he hasn't gotten one yet. I'm not saying that's a good thing, I'm just saying it's not likely he's going anywhere.

stubbadub

Jul 12, 2009
Nova Scotia
open.spotify.com
Don't think Maurice is the issue. This is a team that was one player away from being unstoppable last year/this year. Agree with getting rid of one dimensional players like Laine for a huge return to build upon their future as well as getting a suitable roster player. Not entirely sold on Lowry but really like him after Little.
I think it's a team that can win with any coach like they said about the 70's Canadiens, but they're missing one added special piece through subtraction noted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad