Is it time for Paul Maurice to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'm pretty sure a good chunk of Jets fans (like myself) have wanted him gone for years - hopefully our recent slump can help effect a change.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Yes. I don't think he's been their biggest problem this season. The Jets did lose some key guys and had their D Corps gutted, but his coaching prevented them from doing more in past seasons imo.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm still thinking that if we lose 2 of the next 3, he's gone during the All-Star break. Last night's effort should have sealed his fate because the team plays like absolute trash at home. Something's off, and it's not just the defense.

Reactions: hn777

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Yes. I don't think he's been their biggest problem this season. The Jets did lose some key guys and had their D Corps gutted, but his coaching prevented them from doing more in past seasons imo.

I agree, he might have been a good coach to change a few years ago. This season, I think it's really pointless. The Jets aren't the richest team in the league either, if you need to pay two coaches then pay two coaches but it's pointless to hire someone that MIGHT eke you into the playoffs where you'll possibly get knocked out anyways.

I have more issues with the GM, dude make some quick re-tooling trades don't waste the season.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Last contract PMO signed with Chevy was given to PMO a year in advance of his previous one running out. For those who don't know PMO contract is done the end of this year and Chevy hasn't not given him a new deal before the year started like last contract he did......and we're now more then halfway through the season and still no contract. I suspect PMO will not be with the jets next year, maybe sooner. PMO had a decent run with the Jets, but seems like Chevy is close to ending that run. The last 1.5 years analytically under the PMO system the Jets have been poor, only their forward talent has kept them winning more then should be according to the analytics. PMO is very similar to Babcock, old school thinker, very stubborn, playing grinders & glue guys over talent. I think the Jets would benefit from a new coach & system. IMO

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Last time I checked, there's more to a team than defense.
Yes, defense is below average, but both forwards and goalies are above average. That team should make the playoffs, at least in a WC spot.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Their underlying metrics are atrocious and he has a lot of talent up front to work with. Hellebuyck being in God mode early on masked their issues. He should probably be fired.

Reactions: Heldig and Mbraunm

Crow

May 19, 2014
I feel like he has been on the hot seat for a couple years, and rightfully so.

That said, firing coaches is the thing to do in the NHL.

Fire him. Fire everyone.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Swapping coaches isn't the answer for the Jets.. first they have to get their personnel back on par with the other top teams and then if there comes a time when things get stale you pull the trigger.

I don't feel like he's losing the room or anything. They play hard every night, some nights they just make individual mistakes that cost them.

Besides, fans should have less to complain about this year.. nobody was saying anything a month ago when the Jets were in a good spot and Laine's been on the top line for most of the season.

What we're seeing now is a reality check what the team is capable of, league is getting better from the first couple months and the Jets don't seem to have another gear.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Last contract PMO signed with Chevy was given to PMO a year in advance of his previous one running out. For those who don't know PMO contract is done the end of this year and Chevy hasn't not given him a new deal before the year started like last contract he did......and we're now more then halfway through the season and still no contract. I suspect PMO will not be with the jets next year, maybe sooner. PMO had a decent run with the Jets, but seems like Chevy is close to ending that run. The last 1.5 years analytically under the PMO system the Jets have been poor, only their forward talent has kept them winning more then should be according to the analytics. PMO is very similar to Babcock, old school thinker, very stubborn, playing grinders & glue guys over talent. I think the Jets would benefit from a new coach & system. IMO
He was a lameduck coach this year?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jets fans are going to be in for an eye opener. A coaching change might give the team a temporary boost but there are some serious problems with the roster. Defense is trash and the forwards aren't much help in that regard either.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
As a Jets fan I knew coming into the season it would be a challenge to make the playoffs with our current defense.

Then, Byfuglien decided to retire.

Now we're stuck with a substandard defense and we can't do anything until the Byfuglien situation is resolved.

At this point, we should stand pat, take our lumps, and wait for the off-season when Byfuglien's situation should be resolved and more coaching candidates are available.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
As a Jets fan I knew coming into the season it would be a challenge to make the playoffs with our current defense.

Then, Byfuglien decided to retire.

Now we're stuck with a substandard defense and we can't do anything until the Byfuglien situation is resolved.

At this point, we should stand pat, take our lumps, and wait for the off-season when Byfuglien's situation should be resolved and more coaching candidates are available.
The terrible habits the offense is showing is not something I want them to stand pat on. Admittedly the d core is terrible (how is Bitetto drawing into the lineup????) but the forwards are atrocious in their own end. And the neutral zone.

There is too much talent to waste it like this.

Reactions: hn777

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
PMO is at the at the last year of his contract ? Can’t imagine Chevy will extend PMO He had a long run with the Jets and had his chance. Why keep PMO now if Chevy not going to renew the contract? Especially when Gallant and Lav is available. They will be in demand in the off season and WPG is not the most desired locale for coaches who are sought after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad