Is it time for Paul Maurice to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
As Abe Lincoln once put it ( when faced with strident demands to can his commanding general)
"Anybody will do for you.....but I must have somebody."

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Well, calling Maurice a genius all 3 of the years he managed to win a playoff round -and the year he was swept- is a bit rich for my tastes. But I see your general point. I think he's just a likable guy who's mediocre at his job.
Or coaching in the NHL is just a tough gig. Especially in the cap era, when any team can win on any given night. Sometimes this boards forgets that the other team is good to, and at the end of the playoffs only one team is left standing.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
There have been a lot of articles lately about coaching changes this season and one such article even talks to Maurice about it. He has a pretty professional view that it will always happen so just enjoy it while you can.

But it seems like article after article brings up his name as a potential next change. Some stats.

- 2nd longest tenured coach in the league

- Lost last night 7-1 to Bolts

- 6-9-2 since December 10 which is a .352 winning percentage in the past 17 games.

- Currently out of a playoff spot

The loss last night brought the discussion back up everywhere. Some other points..

- Jets were expected to struggle all year and be a bubble team due to the defense.

- They have had success under him. Arguably appears to be a personnel issue not a tune out the coach issue.

- Goaltending cooled down which was covering a lot for the roster to start the year.

So if you are Chevy, do you fire a guy you know well and have had success with? Or do you accept this roster isn't getting it done and give him next season to figure it out?

Reactions: hn777

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think Maurice is a great coach but the Jets are about as good as you can expect due to the losses on defense .

If the Jets make a change it would be in the offseason and have the new guy be part of the roster planning for next season. I don't see the point in firing Maurice right now. Jets are a bubble team this year and thats where they are.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don’t see a point in firing him during the season. Quite frankly, most people had Winnipeg as a fifth place team and out of the playoffs. That was before Byfuglien was gone.

So they’re sitting a point out of the playoffs with a roster that probably isn’t good enough. I don’t think changing the coach is the answer.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He fits well into their group. They've underachieved somewhat while there, but this year isn't on him. It's on a thin defense that got thinner with the departures of Chiarot and Trouba and the absence of Byfuglien.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don’t see a point in firing him during the season. Quite frankly, most people had Winnipeg as a fifth place team and out of the playoffs. That was before Byfuglien was gone.

So they’re sitting a point out of the playoffs with a roster that probably isn’t good enough. I don’t think changing the coach is the answer.

This is how I feel too, but even reading the Jets board it's a very popular talking point. Plus...

As the NHL's coaching carousel spins, what would it take for...

https://theathletic.com/1499292/201...es-to-follow-as-the-winnipeg-jets-enter-2020/

Maurice is nearing the six-year anniversary of taking over for Claude Noel and while some wondered if the bench boss could be on the hot seat

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Coaches very rarely get six years in today’s NHL. Especially coaches that get out of the first round exactly once in that period. I get the argument that the team has been decimated on the back end but the team was trending downward in a major way last season and frankly, it’s a convenient excuse to say that no coach could get success out of a team with this defence.

His career record and underlying numbers suggest he’s not only not a good coach, but also not even an average coach. Underlying numbers for over a calendar year have been abysmal and without incredible goaltending, this team would rival Detroit for the worst team in the league.

It’s beyond time for him to go.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Thing is, Gallant isn't a fit with the Jets or True North. I mean Gallant I believe has no problems finding work, see him ending up with either Dallas, New Jersey, or Montreal.

I mean our best bet was Alain Vigneault or Joel Quenneville in 2019, he has a more offensive-focused system that fits the Jets, but I do agree Maurice should not be the Jets coach anymore. Just there's no right fit right now.

Reactions: Mbraunm

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
The results of this year is not entirely on him, Chevy and the players have their equal share of blame.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
He should have been fired ages ago. However, with what happened to their blue line I don't think he gets fired. They were expected to msis the playoffs. Even though the only reason they are close is their goalie, I think he will get a pass.

But with Gallant and Laviolette available, if Maurice isn't fired, Chevy should be.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Coaches very rarely get six years in today’s NHL. Especially coaches that get out of the first round exactly once in that period. I get the argument that the team has been decimated on the back end but the team was trending downward in a major way last season and frankly, it’s a convenient excuse to say that no coach could get success out of a team with this defence.

His career record and underlying numbers suggest he’s not only not a good coach, but also not even an average coach. Underlying numbers for over a calendar year have been abysmal and without incredible goaltending, this team would rival Detroit for the worst team in the league.

It’s beyond time for him to go.
Exactly. As bad as their defense core is, I am pretty confident in saying Winnipeg can certainly be better than what their underlying numbers suggests. Not good, but not terrible. Maurice has an ineffective system where he doesn't allow his team to go to the front net area and retort to point shots when they have possession in the offensive zone. You absolutely nailed it by saying incredible goaltending is keeping Winnipeg upfloat. Hellebuyck has been the best goalie in the league this season at even strength by far and as of right now he is my favourite for the Vezina trophy.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Their D-core is atrocious, but with their offense and Hellybuck playing out of his mind, WIN should be a top 3 team in the Central

Reactions: hn777

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He did a good job getting the group to rally around the fact that they have zero defensemen.. and he finally split up Scheifele and Wheeler.. but it looks like that’s not enough anymore. He’s hasn't exactly got them playing effective systems hockey and they’re only close to the playoffs because of their goalie and top six forward talent.

Reactions: Mbraunm and hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad