Value of: Hawks trading down from #2 to at worst the #7

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Habs would probably put the Jets 1st round (24th to 27th overall) and/or one of our many expendable young D's on the table to go up 3 spots.
Talking Harris-Struble-Barron level or Reinbacher-Hutson-Mailloux level?
Cause they are not the same.

Id imagine 1 of Demidov/Lindstrom are there at 4, Columbus should just pick whoever it is and not give up assets to move up
CBJ could trade down to 6 and still get their dman if thats their choice instead of lets say Lindstrom. Mtl at 5 is not picking a dman imo.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

CBJ could trade down to 6 and still get their dman if thats their choice instead of lets say Lindstrom. Mtl at 5 is not picking a dman imo.
Columbus could go either way but there is a Lindstrom sized hole in the forward group. Stand pat and make the pick

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
With all the guys from 2 to 6 or so grouped together, I don’t see the value for those teams to pay to move up.
exactly, Habs grab who they feel is the best player regardless of position at 5th overall, possibly deal the jets pick with other picks and prospects, Guhle staying put..

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site

Yes, that's true. But the OP also used the adjective "expendable" which narrows down who he'd be suggesting.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Hughes has said many times that if there's 2 equivalent players they'd opt for need (so forward before D for example), if not they'd still take the higher quality player regardless of position.

Hughes says dmen carry very high asset value so he could easily pick 1 as well, it'll depend on how good our scouts think the Dmen are relative to the forwards. You can always make trades later. Drafting the best player is hard enough, no need to overcomplicate things more by passing up on players purely for need.

Habs aren't that deep at RD so Levshunov/Parekh is a real possibility, Silayev/Buium/Dickinson are also great prospects but because we're so deep at LD they would need to be ranked very high on their list.

Who knows tho, teams could have a guy like Buium easily at #2, not a lot of dmen have done what he's done this season. Not only was he great offensively but he also helped shut down a super stacked Boston College team, played great at the U20s as an underager too (and the US rarely pick underagers for that team, let alone Dmen).

Last edited:
Reactions: loadie

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Hawks have glut of young D as well in our system including multiple 1st round picks in pipeline
If the Hawks can get an extra pick out of the deal then why not consider trading down a few spots? Some eye watering talent can still be available at #5 like Catton, Silayev, Parakh, Buium, Eiserman and the like, plus they'd get extra assets! Personally I'd just take the top ranked scoring winger Demidov to play along side Bedard ! :dunno:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
It’s enough for a lot of the fans including me in this draft but as the poster above you said, davidson was elated to have #2 so he must have his eye on someone at 2. I don’t think we are moving down and I think that means Demidov. Hawks could use an elite winger badly in the system. I kind of prefer a RHD and there are a couple available at 5 I consider nearly equal.
All GMs will say they're elated at where they are picking, if SJ had gone down to #3 we'd be hearing them saying there will be some amazing talents at #3 overall, while softly crying inside.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Habs 5th overall + Jets 1st round pick + Trudeau/Rohrer for 2nd overall.

If thats not enough, replace the prospect with Jordan Harris.

Habs draft Demidov with that pick.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think it's Staois' MO, but personally I'd at least explore the idea of #7 + BOS 1st + (?) for the pick to take Demidov/Levshunov.

Senators will probably be happy to take one of Silayev, Parekh, Buium or Dickinson and keep the Bruins 1st to re-stock their empty cupboards, but there's no denying that Demidov and Levshunov are extremely intriguing prospects and the Sens scouts could have them a tier ahead.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Reinbacher, Hutson, and Mailloux aren't expendable. The 1st group is the ones that would be considered, not the 2nd.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
MTL might go hard for it if #2 really is available and if Hughes/his scouts think theres a big separation between Demidov and the #3 forward in the draft

prob a pick package like #5 + Jets 1st + prospect/young player
you might not even get the #3 forward at your current pick.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
If Hawks were more interested in a guy who will be available at #5

Habs 1st + Jets 1st + RW Filip Mesar maybe?

Hawks would pick #5, #20 and wherever Jets pick ultimately ends up in this draft and add a quality RW prospect
That would be an easy yes from the habs call your gm and get it done.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I thought Demidov had emerged as a pretty consensus #2 pick and if anything was pushing to compete with Macklin for #1 more-so than competing with anyone for #3-7.

Hawks should even kick the tires and see if San Jose like Demidov enough to move up and pair Celebrini with Bedard rather than to move down.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Riggins and Grinner

Grinner

May 31, 2022
I thought Demidov had emerged as a pretty consensus #2 pick and if anything was pushing to compete with Macklin for #1 more-so than competing with anyone for #3-7.

Hawks should even kick the tires and see if San Jose like Demidov enough to move up and pair Celebrini with Bedard rather than to move down.
Forget about it.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Forget about it.
Guessing you're a Sharks fan?

Don't blame you for not wanting to move off Celebrini but I've read some opinions that Demidov could be just as good. I watched his highlight video too and he's smooth as silk.

If Hawks were willing to give up a nice piece (Nazar)? + #2 it wouldn't make you think?

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Guessing you're a Sharks fan?

Don't blame you for not wanting to move off Celebrini but I've read some opinions that Demidov could be just as good. I watched his highlight video too and he's smooth as silk.

If Hawks were willing to give up a nice piece (Nazar)? + #2 it wouldn't make you think?
Yes, I'm a Sharks fan. No it wouldn't.
Celebrini fixes the largest hole the Sharks have had since before the decline of Joe Thornton. A #1 center.
Further more, it's the 1st time in franchise history the Sharks have had the #1 overall pick.
Finally, it gives the fans something to make them want to come back to the Tank to watch the Sharks play.

If Demidov is indeed that highly rated, then let Chicago take him and pair him with Bedard

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If Hawks were more interested in a guy who will be available at #5

Habs 1st + Jets 1st + RW Filip Mesar maybe?

Hawks would pick #5, #20 and wherever Jets pick ultimately ends up in this draft and add a quality RW prospect
That’s too much of a ask for Montreal. Demidov is good but he’s not THAT good
Not sure the hawks move the second for that return unless they know their guy would make it to 5.
It’s always the same issues and the reason why teams don’t move down. Just pick your guy and be done with it.

Why would Montreal add a Reinbacher-Hutson-Mailloux level prospect to 5OA just to draft a slightly better prospect? That doesn’t make any sense. If they have their eyes on someone else other than Demidov then chances are that guy is available at 5 anyway.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not sure I see anybody going nuts to move up especially if everyone else after Macklin is grouped together

Agreed. The same reason the hypothetical because of a lack of consensus about that second or third tier as in the OP: nobody’s gonna be all that keen to move up when they can sit tight and probably get one of their top choices without burning other assets and taking that risk.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Over the years I don’t think it’s been that expensive to move around in this area, and this draft doesn’t seem to carry a ton of value as there’s not a ton of consensus about who goes where. I don’t think the reward is going to be impressive enough to move if you like a certain guy. I could see it being as cheap as a second round pick to move within that cluster. There’s not a lot of examples of it being very expensive.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Over the years I don’t think it’s been that expensive to move around in this area, and this draft doesn’t seem to carry a ton of value as there’s not a ton of consensus about who goes where. I don’t think the reward is going to be impressive enough to move if you like a certain guy. I could see it being as cheap as a second round pick to move within that cluster. There’s not a lot of examples of it being very expensive.
Not many examples to begin with

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
There is a whole lot of consensus this year. You wont see a Simashev at 6. Top 3 forwards and top 5 d are pretty much same according to Mckenzie. If you want to secure a top 5 forward, you need to be 3rd or 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad