Management Is it possible Sweeney will not be back as GM? No. Sweeney signs extension.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
This is the magical part of the early off-season: hope. Man, I hope the house gets cleaned out.

Come August, after we have drafted a couple 5’4” guys, and Bergeron hasn’t come back, and we somehow missed any decent ufa targets, but signed just enough bad contracts to not get a top 5 pick in ‘23……thems is the Dog Days of Summer.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It "feels" as though they're going to let him run the draft and free agent signings etc and then drop the hammer.
God forbid it's Neely who's going to be the GM but hey, maybe when the smoke clears it will be Bergeron?
Another off the wall speculation is Evan Gold runs the GM job (interim) and NEXT off season Bergeron retires and
becomes the General Manager?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Draft in 15 days that tells me new coach has no input in the draft ............just shut up and sit in the corner ,you will coach the players we give and like it .
I get what you are saying... but to be fair... I don't think a new coach would have much feedback on selected players unless he had a connection with any of them.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Even by Bruins standards, the silence on Sweeney's status this late in June is uncharted territory. The 2022 NHL Draft is 15 days away so something is not right.

My hunch is the suits in Buffalo were caught off guard by the negative reaction to Cassidy being made the scapegoat followed by Vegas hiring him 8 days later.

If Sweeney is out there is only one way they can go this late in the process - Cam remains as President but also becomes the GM.

Ive-got-a-bad-feeling.gif

Cam Neely as President and GM? Well I for one.....

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
My view: The Cassidy firing has got so much negative publicity around town plus take into account he's hired within 8 days of his firing. The backlash: everyone saying it was Sweeney and Neely. Ownership sees/hears this stuff and now is put in a tough spot. Do you re-up Sweeney only to fire him and have to pay out his contract or do you save face with the fan base and get rid of him now and hand the keys over to someone else? Smart business move is to get rid of Sweeney now. Will they do that? Who the hell knows.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I don't know about that.

No Head Coach
Assistant Coaches let go.
Remaining Assistant Coaches in limbo.
Key players with major injury surgeries not set to return until December
Severely lacking prospect pool and no first rounder again this year.
#1 Center in limbo.
Questions about desires of a star RW due for new contract soon.
Rumors about an ex center who went to Czech Republic possibly returning.
GM reported by President to be re-upped within a few days still not nailed down 5 weeks later.
NHL draft in 15 days

I highly doubt anyone would look at this and automatically assume there a solid plan in place. This is a team that has regularly in the past made dramatic "watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat" moves that fall flat like a 650 lb guy doing a belly flop. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me four times (lockout, Thornton, Seguin, 2015 draft) shame on me.

Anyone assuming this group has a concrete plan but is just being tight lipped might be in for another disappointment. Either that or they are a masochist and are just waiting for the abuse.
Pure poetry

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Don't think the Coach has time to scout players especially if your first pick isn't until the 50's
I did not mean he was running the draft , but I think he knows what type of system he would like to have and would have already evaluated his current roster................he might just like to have some idea what management is thinking .............

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Baffling situation. Based on what Cam said I would assume DS has already signed a deal and the Bs just haven't announced it. Possible that they wanted the furor over Cassidy's firing to die down before making an official announcement about DS. If that is not the case then I wonder what DS is thinking given Cam's statements? Kind of left dangling in the wind.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
LOL, imagine if the Bruins had an interim GM at the draft? At least they wouldn't have 1st round pick(s) they are not prepared to make

Let's be honest here.....if they fire Sweeney it'll probably be someone from within who gets his job.

We cannot expect someone who is already part of the current management group to be in any way ready for the upcoming draft. Wasn't that their excuse for Sweeney's 2015 draft performance? That he was new to the job?

Heaven forbid the Assistant GM from the previous 6 years have any notion about the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad