Management Is it possible Sweeney will not be back as GM? No. Sweeney signs extension.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
catastrophize verb, transitive + intransitive

ca·tas·tro·phize | \ kə-ˈta-strə-ˌfīz \

variants: also British catastrophise

catastrophized; catastrophizing; catastrophizes

Definition of catastrophize

: to imagine the worst possible outcome of an action or event : to think about a situation or event as being a catastrophe or having a potentially catastrophic outcome

: obsessing on the ramifications of your favorite sports team doing something that you may disapprove of, especially those that make no logical sense

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
We just saw what happened with the coach. why would something happening with the GM be so outrageous to suggest?

Last edited:

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
catastrophize verb, transitive + intransitive

ca·tas·tro·phize | \ kə-ˈta-strə-ˌfīz \

variants: also British catastrophise

catastrophized; catastrophizing; catastrophizes

Definition of catastrophize

: to imagine the worst possible outcome of an action or event : to think about a situation or event as being a catastrophe or having a potentially catastrophic outcome

: obsessing on the ramifications of your favorite sports team doing something that you may disapprove of, especially those that make no logical sense
Lmao

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I have a hard time thinking they'd name Neely GM. I think they'd just give someone in the organization on the hockey ops side the interim GM title.

But it is definitely weird nothing has been announced yet. I thought once Sweeney axed Cassidy that was it. Only thing I can guess is that the Jacobs family was stunned by the response to the firing and are now questioning if they want Sweeney extended at all.
You just made a good point ,they maybe questioning the firing.............good let them stew.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm genuinely surprised I have to explain that they aren't looking like buffoons or ostriches to anyone but the boo hoo crew here.
Oh, I don't know, there has been a bit of a buzz about Bruins ownership and management in the past. Little things like the following have sparked some head shakes:

1) Jacobs getting singularly duped/undressed by the outcome of the NHL lockout despite being the Head of the Owners negotiating group.
2) Joe Thornton trade process and return.
3) Tyler Seguin trade process and return.
4) 2015 draft

While maybe no one used the word buffoon or ostrich to describe these Boston ownership and management moves (I don't know, they could well have). However, I guarantee that people in the know and fans in general have laughed heartily at the buffoon-like things this team leadership group does every once in a while.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Oh, I don't know, there has been a bit of a buzz about Bruins ownership and management in the past. Little things like the following have sparked some head shakes:

1) Jacobs getting singularly duped/undressed by the outcome of the NHL lockout despite being the Head of the Owners negotiating group.
2) Joe Thornton trade process and return.
3) Tyler Seguin trade process and return.
4) 2015 draft

While maybe no one used the word buffoon or ostrich to describe these Boston ownership and management moves (I don't know, they could well have). However, I guarantee that people in the know and fans in general have laughed heartily at the buffoon-like things this team leadership group does every once in a while.
I was specifically talking about Sweeney not having a contract announced yet, not the management group in general over several years.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
If ownership was surprised by the reaction to firing Cassidy then it just proves how disconnected they are from this team.
Ownership disconnected from the on ice product - hardly a surprise

Ownership concerned about the public reaction to the Cassidy turfing- perhaps, if they think it negatively impacts seats and concessions sales

Ownership focused on the bottom line- absolutely. And the bottom line is much more than game attendance- it's concessions, parking, merchandise, signage, foot traffic in the new conglomerate of restaurants, radio and tv rights. If you think of the Bs as a grocery store, the team should be the lose leader/ end cap that gets people into the area around the Garden. A smart ownership ( see Kraft, Robert) tries to make the fan experience so outstanding that people come early, stay late and spend, spend, spend

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I was specifically talking about Sweeney not having a contract announced yet, not the management group in general over several years.
And I agree on that point. My guess is people aren't calling us buffoons on this front but I'm sure there are quite a few people around the league wondering what the hell is going on though.

It's pretty extraordinary when you look at it all the "unknowns" put together.

Reactions: GordonHowe

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
And I agree on that point. My guess is people aren't calling us buffoons on this front but I'm sure there are quite a few people around the league wondering what the hell is going on though.

It's pretty extraordinary when you look at it all the "unknowns" put together.
I don’t see any evidence of that whatsoever. If there were rumblings like that I’m sure Fluto would gleefully post a quote from an anonymous source, or KPD would add to his screeds, or Friedman would give it a glance on 32 Thoughts. I think everyone knows it’s an inevitability and aren’t worried about the timing (yet).

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I don’t see any evidence of that whatsoever. If there were rumblings like that I’m sure Fluto would gleefully post a quote from an anonymous source, or KPD would add to his screeds, or Friedman would give it a glance on 32 Thoughts. I think everyone knows it’s an inevitability and aren’t worried about the timing (yet).
I don't know about that.

No Head Coach
Assistant Coaches let go.
Remaining Assistant Coaches in limbo.
Key players with major injury surgeries not set to return until December
Severely lacking prospect pool and no first rounder again this year.
#1 Center in limbo.
Questions about desires of a star RW due for new contract soon.
Rumors about an ex center who went to Czech Republic possibly returning.
GM reported by President to be re-upped within a few days still not nailed down 5 weeks later.
NHL draft in 15 days

I highly doubt anyone would look at this and automatically assume there a solid plan in place. This is a team that has regularly in the past made dramatic "watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat" moves that fall flat like a 650 lb guy doing a belly flop. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me four times (lockout, Thornton, Seguin, 2015 draft) shame on me.

Anyone assuming this group has a concrete plan but is just being tight lipped might be in for another disappointment. Either that or they are a masochist and are just waiting for the abuse.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Draft in 15 days that tells me new coach has no input in the draft ............just shut up and sit in the corner ,you will coach the players we give and like it .
Don't think the Coach has time to scout players especially if your first pick isn't until the 50's

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
This organization is so tight lipped and weird I wouldnt be at all surprised if DS has been extended and they just aren’t announcing it until a coach is selected too.

This is definitely a possibility. Maybe even the most likely one. I do think if he's already been extended it's weird not to just announce it, but in lieu of the reaction to Cassidy's firing they might have decided to hold off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad