Management Is it possible Sweeney will not be back as GM? No. Sweeney signs extension.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
To sum up the thread IMHO:

Most folks don't have confidence in this GM.

His draft, development, and free agents represent a largely failing effort across the board.

Most do not trust him in a rebuild, whether it be mini or full.

He signed players for less to remain part of a stacked team so he gets high marks there, mainly from his ownership. He did pretty much zero with that cap space.

He rode that stacked team to playoff after playoff series that increased the reputation around the league and made the owners of the team happy.

He gets a failing grade from a majority of posters.

Ownership/leadership gives him a multi year contract extension. So as far as the powers that be its going great.

giphy.gif

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I agree, the Lucic and Hamilton trades were excellent. But as you say, what they did with the picks was foolish. Had the golden chalice in their hands and totally screwed it up — thereby negating the value of the trades. If a coach had done the same he’d have been shit canned immediately.

Our prospect pool is poor overall. All that hard earned cap room (excellent work) was handled poorly as well. The work of the GM must be viewed in totality. Not “I made two great trades and cleared up some massive cap room — but, sadly, then used the picks netted from the trades like an amateur and I spent the Cap money like a drunken sailor on leave in a sketchy bordello in Marseille. Hey ho.”

I’m unhappy. I’ll root for Sweeney to do well because it’s what I have. I’ve been very critical of him. If he pulls it together and gets us beyond the imminent departure of Bergie and gives us a solid prospect pool to work with moving forward then I’ll gladly say I was wrong and eat a ton of crow. On the other hand, I will be brutal on him if he doesn’t deliver the goods. You got your contract Donny — make something happen now, the pressure is on.

Good points. I'm in the middle regarding Sweeney and with Cassidy. I wouldn't be unhappy if Sweeney was canned, and I would have been delighted had he been canned and Gorton hired in his place. I think Cassidy is a good coach, but, like many coaches, his tactics wore thin on a number of players and it was his time to go. I think he will do well in Vegas with a veteran team as long as he doesn't call out the players in public.

Let's say Montreal picks the winger #1. What would you trade to NJD for the #2 pick, so we could get Wright, the center? I'd trade Carlo and DeBrusk, but would NJ make that trade. If I trade Pasta, I want a Kings' ransom.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Good points. I'm in the middle regarding Sweeney and with Cassidy. I wouldn't be unhappy if Sweeney was canned, and I would have been delighted had he been canned and Gorton hired in his place. I think Cassidy is a good coach, but, like many coaches, his tactics wore thin on a number of players and it was his time to go. I think he will do well in Vegas with a veteran team as long as he doesn't call out the players in public.

Let's say Montreal picks the winger #1. What would you trade to NJD for the #2 pick, so we could get Wright, the center? I'd trade Carlo and DeBrusk, but would NJ make that trade. If I trade Pasta, I want a Kings' ransom.
I'm admittedly not very good at putting together trades with value, but I'd move Carlo, DeBrusk + + for Wright. Just very much doubt NJ would do that if he's on the board at number 2. Lots of centers in this projected first round. Sweeney might want to think long and hard about getting one somehow. Bergie or no Bergie this year (or even Krejci) our future at Center right now is very bleak looking 2 to 3 years out. IMO teams that lack talent (let alone depth) at Center are not successful -- even if there is other talent on the team.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
I'm admittedly not very good at putting together trades with value, but I'd move Carlo, DeBrusk + + for Wright. Just very much doubt NJ would do that if he's on the board at number 2. Lots of centers in this projected first round. Sweeney might want to think long and hard about getting one somehow. Bergie or no Bergie this year (or even Krejci) our future at Center right now is very bleak looking 2 to 3 years out. IMO teams that lack talent (let alone depth) at Center are not successful -- even if there is other talent on the team.

Carlo, Debrusk ++ for #2 pick doesnt quite cut it.

Carlo is cost effective for the next few years but seems fans are getting frustrated at not taking that next step. Debrusk asked for a trade so his trade value takes a beating. Not to mention that trading back usually requires giving up your own first as well which we dont have. We would have to give up to many draft picks to balance it out.

If Boston were to trade for the #2 it would be looking at Pasta as the base (he would have to have NJ off his no trade) with NJ adding pieces. At that point why are we trying to draft a Pasta level player?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Carlo is cost effective for the next few years but seems fans are getting frustrated at not taking that next step. Debrusk asked for a trade so his trade value takes a beating. Not to mention that trading back usually requires giving up your own first as well which we dont have. We would have to give up to many draft picks to balance it out.

If Boston were to trade for the #2 it would be looking at Pasta as the base (he would have to have NJ off his no trade) with NJ adding pieces. At that point why are we trying to draft a Pasta level player?
I think that Jakes performance in the last 20 or so games of the year and another very strong playoff effort/performance steers him away from his value as taking a beating

Had he requested that trade, sulked the whole year, put 0 effort in I`d agree but he was arguably the B`s most consistent forward in the playoffs. Carlo is what he is, a very solid top 4 guy who won`t offer you much in the nasty department but who is mobile and will, more often than not, help you more than hurt you. Right now, not sure this team has anyone in the system who could step in and take his spot

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

I agree. I should have made the type size on the +'s much bigger.

I'd hate to see Pasta go.

However, look at any ranking and Boston is among bottom of league in Team prospect pool rankings. In fact, most will tell you Boston does not even have a player in top 100 prospects in the League in the system. Add to that the fact that we have zero top 1/2 Center prospects in the system and just spent a shit ton of Cap on guys like Foligno.

Some here are whistling happily, and in my opinion blindly, by the graveyard.

We are in position to be mired in middle ground for the foreseeable future unless we make some hard hard decisions. Pasta is one of those that has to be considered and it breaks my heart to even think about it. I like that kid so much -- even aside from fact he's a superstar.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Pasta only gets moved if he can't agree on a new contract.

NJ already has their top two centers in Hughes and Hischier.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
To sum up the thread IMHO:

Most folks don't have confidence in this GM.

His draft, development, and free agents represent a largely failing effort across the board.

Most do not trust him in a rebuild, whether it be mini or full.

He signed players for less to remain part of a stacked team so he gets high marks there, mainly from his ownership. He did pretty much zero with that cap space.

He rode that stacked team to playoff after playoff series that increased the reputation around the league and made the owners of the team happy.

He gets a failing grade from a majority of posters.

Ownership/leadership gives him a multi year contract extension. So as far as the powers that be its going great.

giphy.gif

What year is this? the 90s again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad