Management Is it possible Sweeney will not be back as GM? No. Sweeney signs extension.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I’m implying that he had a good deadline, that’s all. If he had a poor one then maybe he doesn’t get a new deal.

Though it is pretty funny seeing people rip him for a couple of picks in 2015 - when that’s the biggest hangup 7 years later it almost reads like a letter of recommendation.
in a whole he was just as bad as usual. His off-season was atrocious, committing the same errors as in years past by spending money unwisely and throwing valuable cap space away which eventually cost him a 2nd round pick at the deadline to relieve some of his cap. Neely's a fool to point out the deadline as a main reason he extended Sweeney, especially when they saw him throwing more picks away at the deadline to help create more cap space and then not use it.

That's just how bad of a Fuuk up 2015 was, but it wasn't even close to his only one, just his most glaring.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Did he though?

The Lindholm trade was good, especially with the extension. And by adding John Moore to the deal he freed up cap space to be used on.......nothing?

If he followed Lindholm by another move like a Rakell or Copp or even Domi, I think they fare bettert in the long run. Instead he freed up that space only to not use it at all.
Exactly. This is my issue. He had $$$ to use on an upgrade at the forward position and decided "nah, we good" when in fact we were indeed... not good.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
when people call the last 10 years mediocre, they mean that relative to the talent and opportunities they had over that span. Yes the Bruins have put up top 5 or 6 results in the last 10 years, but anyone who follows this team closely knows they could have been top 2 or 3 if they hadn't squandered several massive opportunities (Seguin, Lucic, Hamilton trades, 2015 draft & 2016 29th pick, failure to land a 2RW in prime Krejci years, etc).

I used the word mediocre a few weeks back and took shit for it, too. But this is exactly what I meant, and what most of us mean. Mediocre in the Dave Lewis/Robbie Ftorek Bruins sense? Not at all, but you are right that it is all relative. I expected Sweeney to do more with the opportunites and talent that the Bruins have had. What he has done has been mediocre. Not terrible, but not particularly good either, and now the team is facing a rebuild around a new core that will take some time when it never needed to come to that.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Lost game 7 by a goal. Could have upgraded at forward and got papa Jacobs another 2 home playoff games.

Who scored 2 goals and an assist in game 7? Max Domi, who was traded at the deadline for like two AHLers.

That's what stings the most. Not that Domi was particularly good outside of that game. But the fact that Don did nothing with the space and a guy who was traded for little to nothing was the #1 star of game 7 was not a good look.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Who scored 2 goals and an assist in game 7? Max Domi, who was traded at the deadline for like two AHLers.

That's what stings the most. Not that Domi was particularly good outside of that game. But the fact that Don did nothing with the space and a guy who was traded for little to nothing was the #1 star of game 7 was not a good look.
Little bit of the blind squirrel finding a nut with Domi in game 7 I think.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Exactly. This is my issue. He had $$$ to use on an upgrade at the forward position and decided "nah, we good" when in fact we were indeed... not good.

Just because there is money to use doesn't mean there is a deal to be made. No one is giving players away.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m implying that he had a good deadline, that’s all. If he had a poor one then maybe he doesn’t get a new deal.

Though it is pretty funny seeing people rip him for a couple of picks in 2015 - when that’s the biggest hangup 7 years later it almost reads like a letter of recommendation.

You’ve really dug your heels in on this one. Good for you.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
When you wait until the deadline to fill holes, you run that risk..
Sweeney hasn't traded for a player who would be a regular roster player in the off-season since Jimmy Hayes. I've said before that perhaps trading at the deadline isn't a flawed strategy because you compete against fewer teams for players. However, this is an example of why not trying to fill a hole in the off-season and doing so at the deadline can be a bad strategy.

Also, it has to be a record an NHL GM- the most off-seasons doing nothing to make your team better.

Reactions: Gordoff

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Sweeney hasn't traded for a player who would be a regular roster player in the off-season since Jimmy Hayes. I've said before that perhaps trading at the deadline isn't a flawed strategy because you compete against fewer teams for players. However, this is an example of why not trying to fill a hole in the off-season and doing so at the deadline can be a bad strategy.

Also, it has to be a record an NHL GM- the most off-seasons doing nothing to make your team better.

Cassidy was told he needed to change his approach. Seems to me Sweeney needs to change his.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
There's always a trade to be made. Just because said player isn't on the TSN "TRADE BOARD" doesn't mean you can't look elsewhere. A forward upgrade was needed from day one of the season.

You seriously think Sweeney didn't think the team could use improvement at forward?

And that there was a trade available to do just that?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Rakell, Copp, Lehkonen, Giroux and Hagel all got moved at the deadline.
Giroux picked his spot. Lehkonen was a great fit, but I don’t remember anyone call for him at the time- maybe I’m wrong.

Which of the others did you want Sweeney to give up the price for, and do you think they would have been worth it for Boston?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Giroux picked his spot. Lehkonen was a great fit, but I don’t remember anyone call for him at the time- maybe I’m wrong.

Which of the others did you want Sweeney to give up the price for, and do you think they would have been worth it for Boston?
I'll name a few...

Lawson Crouse
Conor Garland
Andrew Copp

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Copp, easily. 2 2nds and a 5th to get an under 30 2nd line center is a steal.

Rakell fills the 2nd line RW hole, adds some edge and size.

Lehkonen may be a bit of hindsight, but at the same time it's Sweeney's job to identify targets like that.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
You seriously think Sweeney didn't think the team could use improvement at forward?

And that there was a trade available to do just that?

Don't give up a 2nd to make a team take on Moore unless you absolutely have another deal in place, otherwise you throw away a valuable asset for the chance to maybe get another asset later.

Horrific job by Sweeney paying a high price to open up cap space only to then not use it. f***ing terrible.

(Just as it was giving John f***ing Moore a five-year deal. And before anyone asks, I hated it they moment he signed it and said you give a guy like that one year max.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad