Management Is it possible Sweeney will not be back as GM? No. Sweeney signs extension.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Sorry if you can't recognize what a great 4th line center Kuraly was. he had the hardest minutes in the entire NHL under Cassidy. He earned $875K in Boston and then $1.275m.

He got double that on the open market and Columbus is very happy with what he's bringing.

In the Cup run he had 10 points in 20 games, which was 7th on the team. He carried around absolute anchors like Nordstrom.

"FOUR GREAT SEASONS"

I didn't mean for that to be all caps, and yes writing this sentence required more energy than just retyping those three words, but it is what it is.

posters have forgotten, Boston wasn't Cassidy's first coaching job, either, and his average tenure was around 3 years, not 6+

No one forgot this.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
The Looch trade was incredible value, like 200% on the dollar.

What Sweeney then did with those assets was an F-.
That's what dictates the success of any trade, doesn't matter how it looked at the beginning, it all comes down to the value of the return in the end or what was made of it.

Take the R.Nash deal for example. May of looked good for some at the time, (myself I wanted McDonaugh)

But in the end Sweeney got taken to the wood shed. Nash was a few months and done while Gorton used assets from that deal to acquire R.Strome, K'Andre Miller and he acquired Ryan Lindgren in the deal. Perfect example of a GM using his assets in a deal to better his team. Sweeney with the lucic deal as well with the Hamilton one, he failed miserably and yet we saw the flames turn Hamilton into Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifan, while Sweeney turned Hamilton into JFk, Seny and Lauzon, but hey he makes the playoffs.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
That's what dictates the success of any trade, doesn't matter how it looked at the beginning, it all comes down to the value of the return in the end or what was made of it.

Take the R.Nash deal for example. May of looked good for some at the time, (myself I wanted McDonaugh)

But in the end Sweeney got taken to the wood shed. Nash was a few months and done while Gorton used assets from that deal to acquire R.Strome, K'Andre Miller and he acquired Ryan Lindgren in the deal. Perfect example of a GM using his assets in a deal to better his team. Sweeney with the lucic deal as well with Hamilton one failed miserably and yet we saw the flames turn Hamilton into Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifan, while Sweeney turned Hamilton into JFk, Seny and Lauzon, but hey he makes the playoffs.

I actually typed up the following but then deleted it cause I don't have the energy to debate it, but f*** it.

If you trade a valuable asset in an A+ trade but then use the returning assets on what turns out to be an F-, you don't get an average grade of "C."

You get an F, because you took an asset and turned it into no assets.

This is like how Sweeney is amazing at signing his stars to huge under market deals, but then does nothing with that cap space. He signs guys like Backes, Beleskey, Foligno, Nosek, and Forbort totally wasting the huge advantage he just created.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I actually typed up the following but then deleted it cause I don't have the energy to debate it, but f*** it.

If you trade a valuable asset in an A+ trade but then use the returning assets on what turns out to be an F-, you don't get an average grade of "C."

You get an F, because you took an asset and turned it into no assets.

This is like how Sweeney is amazing at signing his stars to huge under market deals, but then does nothing with that cap space. He signs guys like Backes, Beleskey, Foligno, Nosek, and Forbort totally wasting the huge advantage he just created.
And on top that he has to trade away first and 2nd round picks to move out his bad signings because he needed more cap space. Only to waste it with more Bad signings, but hey he makes the playoffs.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It's funny to me when people keep calling the Bruins last 10 years "mediocre". When this is a franchise that went on this run before:

mediocre.png

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
It's funny to me when people keep calling the Bruins last 10 years "mediocre". When this is a franchise that went on this run before:

View attachment 562985
some people can get away with this sort of willful ignorance, but you're better than this.

when people call the last 10 years mediocre, they mean that relative to the talent and opportunities they had over that span. Yes the Bruins have put up top 5 or 6 results in the last 10 years, but anyone who follows this team closely knows they could have been top 2 or 3 if they hadn't squandered several massive opportunities (Seguin, Lucic, Hamilton trades, 2015 draft & 2016 29th pick, failure to land a 2RW in prime Krejci years, etc).

All things considered, in a vacuum it's easy to be proud of what the Bruins have done over the last decade. In context it's easy to be disappointed. Consider how f***ing good things were AFTER the 2011 Cup win. They won a Cup with an extremely deep team, had just drafted 2OA Seguin, and went into the draft with a 9th overall pick. Most of their core pieces weren't going anywhere any time soon. Thomas was no spring chicken but they had the massive luxury of Tuukka already being an elite goalie ready to take his place. When you look at what a good position they were in on June 16th, 2011 it's absolutely fair to call the results of the ensuing decade "mediocre". They absolutely should have won at least one more Cup and if nothing else should have gotten more out of some really valuable pieces.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
some people can get away with this sort of willful ignorance, but you're better than this.

when people call the last 10 years mediocre, they mean that relative to the talent and opportunities they had over that span. Yes the Bruins have put up top 5 or 6 results in the last 10 years, but anyone who follows this team closely knows they could have been top 2 or 3 if they hadn't squandered several massive opportunities (Seguin, Lucic, Hamilton trades, 2015 draft & 2016 29th pick, failure to land a 2RW in prime Krejci years, etc).

All things considered, in a vacuum it's easy to be proud of what the Bruins have done over the last decade. In context it's easy to be disappointed. Consider how f***ing good things were AFTER the 2011 Cup win. They won a Cup with an extremely deep team, had just drafted 2OA Seguin, and went into the draft with a 9th overall pick. Most of their core pieces weren't going anywhere any time soon. Thomas was no spring chicken but they had the massive luxury of Tuukka already being an elite goalie ready to take his place. When you look at what a good position they were in on June 16th, 2011 it's absolutely fair to call the results of the ensuing decade "mediocre". They absolutely should have won at least one more Cup and if nothing else should have gotten more out of some really valuable pieces.

Bingo. They had two different opportunities---once under each GM---to build not only the best team in the league but one that had a chance to be a genuine dynasty.

They blew it both times as badly as they could.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
How
Not saying it’s a guarantee, but how many years of the same or worse results will it take in the future to re-asses that evaluation? Because I truly don’t believe that the roster as constructed was capable of going any further. With any coach.

And I’m not saying I didn’t have issue with some of how Bruce did things. Any gander at my posts in GDT’s more than shows that. But to say that DS has “improved” over any amount of time…. I find that to be very questionable.
did you like the trade deadline?

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
When I evaluate Sweeney I look at it and ask is this team in a better position now than in summer 2015? The hard truth is that no it is not.

That is a defensible statement. However, the team was certainly in a better position in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 than in 2015.

Sweeney re-opened a Cup window that appeared to be closing. He gets credit for that at least. But we are coming down on a crash now, and that is entirely due to his drafting failures.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

I respectfully disagree that using "mediocre" to describe the last 10 years is appropriate. They were one game away from a Cup, and another Finals appearance. They absolutely should have gotten more out of some valuable pieces. And they absolutely could have done better than they have done. But mediocre has a very specific connotation, and this ain't it. It's not willful ignorance, despite your insistence.

Keep in mind if it was my choice, I would fire Neely and Sweeney as well as Cassidy. But I don't think the franchise has been anything approaching mediocre in the way many have described it here. And I don't think mediocre results are to come.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
this is not directed at anyone, but typing it out earlier really drove home how f***ing brutal it is that THEY WON A CUP IN 2011 SANDWICHED BETWEEN DRAFTING 2ND OVERALL AND 9TH OVERALL AND FAILED TO WIN A 2ND CUP IN THE FOLLOWING 11 YEARS

just...brutal outcome from incredibly favorable circumstances.

Like we hear all the time from DKH (or at least we did before he apparently blocked me) about how the reason the Bruins aren't a dynasty right now is that they haven't had high draft picks or a tank period in the last 10 years, but actually THEY DID have 2nd and 9th picks and they squandered them!

and yes I realize this criticism is not specific to Sweeney

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
this is not directed at anyone, but typing it out earlier really drove home how f***ing brutal it is that THEY WON A CUP IN 2011 SANDWICHED BETWEEN DRAFTING 2ND OVERALL AND 9TH OVERALL AND FAILED TO WIN A 2ND CUP IN THE FOLLOWING 11 YEARS

Like we hear all the time from DKH (or at least we did before he apparently blocked me) about how the reason the Bruins aren't a dynasty right now is that they haven't had high draft picks or a tank period in the last 10 years, but actually THEY DID have 2nd and 9th picks and they squandered them!

Most fans act like it never happened. Add that a long with that draft that shall never be mentioned. They've had plenty of opportunity get high end talent like Tampa and Colorado in the draft, they just screwed it up.

Last edited:

bruinsfan

Aug 2, 2005

We keep hearing about how all the good teams tanked and are where they are now because of it. Sure that's fair but your absolutely right on here, and in 2015 Sweeney had 3 chances to set this team up over the last couple of years and into the future and failed miserably.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
How

did you like the trade deadline?

I guess you’re asking if I liked the acquisition of Lindholm. The answer to that question is yes.

Are you implying that move releases Sweeney from responsibility for the present state of the roster based on his past moves?

If we try to analyze based on singular events in time, there’s not much of a discussion to be had here. Because that’s a not a real analysis or evaluation.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

And if there was ever a draft where having three picks in the middle of the first round was equivalent to having three high picks it was the historically loaded 2015 draft.

A decade of blowing it.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I guess you’re asking if I liked the acquisition of Lindholm. The answer to that question is yes.

Are you implying that move releases Sweeney from responsibility for the present state of the roster based on his past moves?

If we try to analyze based on singular events in time, there’s not much of a discussion to be had here. Because that’s a not a real analysis or evaluation.
I’m implying that he had a good deadline, that’s all. If he had a poor one then maybe he doesn’t get a new deal.

Though it is pretty funny seeing people rip him for a couple of picks in 2015 - when that’s the biggest hangup 7 years later it almost reads like a letter of recommendation.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I’m implying that he had a good deadline, that’s all. If he had a poor one then maybe he doesn’t get a new deal.

Though it is pretty funny seeing people rip him for a couple of picks in 2015 - when that’s the biggest hangup 7 years later it almost reads like a letter of recommendation.

Except it's not "the biggest hangup." And lots of us have taken the time to explain our criticisms in detail, all of which go well beyond the 2015 NHL Draft.

That first round does matter, but it wouldn't if he'd done a better job since then. No one would care about it anymore, but the issues created by his failures that day remain a problem. How many good forwards has he drafted and developed? How many goals have his draft picks scored? How have his biggest free agent signings worked out? How many seasons has he had a major hole in his top 6?

I don't know why I'm responding in good faith when you don't argue that way, but the criticisms of Sweeney's tenure go well beyond one horrible day and I'd like other people to remember that.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Did he though?

The Lindholm trade was good, especially with the extension. And by adding John Moore to the deal he freed up cap space to be used on.......nothing?

If he followed Lindholm by another move like a Rakell or Copp or even Domi, I think they fare bettert in the long run. Instead he freed up that space only to not use it at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad