Management Is it possible Sweeney will not be back as GM? No. Sweeney signs extension.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I'll name a few...

Lawson Crouse
Conor Garland
Andrew Copp
I was on the no rentals bandwagon.

Crouse and Garland didn’t go anywhere, can only assume why the asking price was. I’m assuming it was more than they were worth if no one paid it.

Copp gets a lot of love in here, maybe he was worth it but seemed like a lot of future to give up for a bottom 6 rental. Too rich for my blood.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
I’m implying that he had a good deadline, that’s all. If he had a poor one then maybe he doesn’t get a new deal.

Though it is pretty funny seeing people rip him for a couple of picks in 2015 - when that’s the biggest hangup 7 years later it almost reads like a letter of recommendation.
But while that might be the biggest hangup due to the nature of the failure, it’s far from the only one. Or even the only big one.

I think DS rightfully gets criticized for the poor UFA signings at key times, the forfeiture of draft capital to pay for his poor signings, the lack of forward development, the total inability to make hockey trades, the passive management style, the lack of accountability with the media/fans. It’s a pretty long list.

He’s been bad IMO. Maybe not terrible, but if they had an excellent GM during this time they’d have been far more successful IMO. And why shouldn’t fans want an excellent GM? Why should we settle for a lousy one?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Copp, easily. 2 2nds and a 5th to get an under 30 2nd line center is a steal.

Rakell fills the 2nd line RW hole, adds some edge and size.

Lehkonen may be a bit of hindsight, but at the same time it's Sweeney's job to identify targets like that.
And I remember everyone screaming not to trade for rentals, which is what Copp and Rakell were. And after Lindholm you didn’t have the seconds for Copp so it would have been a first, and everyone would have lost their mind over trading a first for a rental. And I’m sure two firsts for Hagel would have been well received lol

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Every decision Sweeney has made that turned out less than good can be explained away, and those explanations are sensible and understandable. But at the end of the day, you have to look at the body of work as a whole. Why is it that so many of his decisions have not worked out so well for the team? Is none of it on him? The truth as I see it is that he's done enough to tread water after inheriting a more than solid core left by his predecessor (Chara, Rask, Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci) as well as two draft picks that have turned out to be elite players (McAvoy and Pasta).

I am waiting for all the reasons why this take is wrong and how Sweeney is actually good at his job, but I am pretty well past listening to them. He is not good at his job. He is not poor at his job, either. He is meh. I want better for the Bruins.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
But while that might be the biggest hangup due to the nature of the failure, it’s far from the only one. Or even the only big one.

I think DS rightfully gets criticized for the poor UFA signings at key times, the forfeiture of draft capital to pay for his poor signings, the lack of forward development, the total inability to make hockey trades, the passive management style, the lack of accountability with the media/fans. It’s a pretty long list.

He’s been bad IMO. Maybe not terrible, but if they had an excellent GM during this time they’d have been far more successful IMO. And why shouldn’t fans want an excellent GM? Why should we settle for a lousy one?
I think he’s a good one - not excellent for sure. He’s rebuilt the defense and goal really well through drafting and good trades. He locked up the core up front at cheap$ and added Hall for a song.

Would love some top end forwards drafted and developed, but fully recognize there’s what, one open spot in the top 6? And that’s after Krejci decided to walk away from North America while he’s still on his game.

Free agent signings have been poor on the whole, and are generally overpaid by the nature of their free agent status anyway.

Drafts were hits and misses but did a great job backfilling wiry college free agents. I think in the whole they had more talent than results and should have moved on from Cassidy earlier. I hold that against him. But it’s just another factor in the big picture.

Healthy this team is a contender pretty easily. Not sure what more fans could reasonably expect from a GM. I mean if someone wanted a different approach I get it, but that’s more style than substance.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Rakell, Copp, Lehkonen, Giroux and Hagel all got moved at the deadline.

That's only half a trade.

What would the Bruins need to give up to get one of those guys?

Giroux turned down a trade to the Bruins.

Copp went for a 2nd round pick+ in 2022. Were they going to trade there's when they had already traded their first in 2022?

Rakell 2022 2nd round pick plus 3 players.

Hagel 2 first rounds plus?

Lehkonen, maybe. Except not likely Montreal is helping out the Bruins any.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Every decision Sweeney has made that turned out less than good can be explained away, and those explanations are sensible and understandable. But at the end of the day, you have to look at the body of work as a whole. Why is it that so many of his decisions have not worked out so well for the team? Is none of it on him? The truth as I see it is that he's done enough to tread water after inheriting a more than solid core left by his predecessor (Chara, Rask, Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci) as well as two draft picks that have turned out to be elite players (McAvoy and Pasta).

I am waiting for all the reasons why this take is wrong and how Sweeney is actually good at his job, but I am pretty well past listening to them. He is not good at his job. He is not poor at his job, either. He is meh. I want better for the Bruins.

The team he took over missed the playoffs the year before.

Four years later they went to Game 7 of the finals. At home. Against a team they were favored to beat. They lost.

Maybe that core wasn't as great as many posters here think.

Reactions: RoccoF14

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Four years later they went to Game 7 of the finals. At home. Against a team they were favored to beat. They lost.

He took over a team that set a record for most points in a season without making the playoffs. The team wasn’t terrible. Obviously pasta emerging so quickly and the. Getting McAvoy helped, but the problem still to this day has been building around that core and Chiarelli struggled at the end and Sweeney hasn’t been able to do it either.

Reactions: Gordoff and Estlin

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Yeah, with 96 points and because of tie breakers. Still the most points to ever miss the playoffs

He took over a team with a Cup Finals and President's Trophy in the 3 years prior and only 1 core member over 30

Reactions: Gordoff

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA

Totally agree with the last sentence. Disagree with the second to last; he sucks.

As I always impart to my young associates: I won't bite your head off for making a mistake. I will bite your head off for repeating that mistake and not learning from it the first time around. He never learned from his poor FA signings and had to continually trade away futures to rid himself of contracts anyone on this board could have told you sucked before the ink was dry. There is no explaining that away.

He listened to his scouting department in 2015 because he was newly on the job and got burned. He could have read Redline Report and figured out who to draft that year; it wasn't rocket science.

Everyone has rehashed everything he's done a million times, so I won't type it all out again. Failure of the above type will get you shit canned from any normal job. It will not get you a raise, a long-term vote of confidence and a pat on the back.

But I'm a nihilist now, so I don't care anymore.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I think he’s a good one - not excellent for sure. He’s rebuilt the defense and goal really well through drafting and good trades. He locked up the core up front at cheap$ and added Hall for a song.

Would love some top end forwards drafted and developed, but fully recognize there’s what, one open spot in the top 6? And that’s after Krejci decided to walk away from North America while he’s still on his game.

Free agent signings have been poor on the whole, and are generally overpaid by the nature of their free agent status anyway.

Drafts were hits and misses but did a great job backfilling wiry college free agents. I think in the whole they had more talent than results and should have moved on from Cassidy earlier. I hold that against him. But it’s just another factor in the big picture.

Healthy this team is a contender pretty easily. Not sure what more fans could reasonably expect from a GM. I mean if someone wanted a different approach I get it, but that’s more style than substance.
Employees would love to work for someone with this much leniency but the company would go under.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

It was fine, roughly as good as any in the league. Sweeney has not maximized it. He’s done some good and some not good. Overall He should have done better, and since we are stuck with him for next year or two at least, I hope he does better going forward.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022

Healthy this team is a contender, sure, but how much of that is credit to him? He resigned key players to good deals, yes, then squandered much of the benefits on crap free agents. He’s made a few quality deadline deals, but to fill holes he either failed to solve before (LD) or ignored and let grow.

Again, he’s not awful, he’s just bad. And he’s passive, always letting issues fester. Never calls out a player, never throws a shock trade in to keep players on alert and held to high standards. And he has no public relationship to the fans, so there’s no attempt to give any insight into his judgment. He’s just arrogant and aloof. All while basically owing whatever success he wants to claim to key veteran players who were here before he took the job.

Reactions: Estlin and Gordoff

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

1656471348482.png

Reactions: TCB and Gordoff

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Let's hang some banners to celebrate all the Bruins' recent success

View attachment 563013
I remember all the Adam's divison champion banners at the old Garden so there wouldn't be 17 Celtic banners and 5 Bruin banners up there to embarrass Sinden

The accetable level of mediocrity this team has put forth over the past 40 years sickening. Great players like Neely, Bourque, Thornton, Oates and more never winning **** here and a portion of the fanbase being good with it.

If you fail every year at your job you normally don't have it for very long. Yet Sweeney has had 7 years and has won nothing and for this he gets rewarded.

Never been about winning under Darth Jacob's just making every nickel he can off his fanbase

And how the **** is this team a contender? Closer to contending for a lottery pick than a championship

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Of course. Hugely positive and a top tier GM. Doesn’t keep me from LOLing at the Hagel deal and imagining this place if Don did that.
Stop. If they were going for their THIRD cup win in a row most would have been fine with it except for the usual complainers. I mean 75 percent of this board said “imagine giving all that for Coleman and Goodrow” three years ago

Reactions: EverettMike

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Lmao tells you all you need to know about ownership.

That’s all ownership cares about! Making a little extra money in the playoffs. Haven’t been a perennial Cup contender. Wasted away an amazing core.

Charlie f***ing sucks like his father. Get him up at the podium soon so we can have a laugh!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I remember all the Adam's divison champion banners at the old Garden so there wouldn't be 17 Celtic banners and 5 Bruin banners up there to embarrass Sinden

The accetable level of mediocrity this team has put forth over the past 40 years sickening. Great players like Neely, Bourque, Thornton, Oates and more never winning **** here and a portion of the fanbase being good with it.

If you fail every year at your job you normally don't have it for very long. Yet Sweeney has had 7 years and has won nothing and for this he gets rewarded.

Never been about winning under Darth Jacob's just making every nickel he can off his fanbase

And how the **** is this team a contender? Closer to contending for a lottery pick than a championship

Oates and Thornton never won anywhere else either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad