Management Is it possible Sweeney will not be back as GM? No. Sweeney signs extension.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I said “sure” that he’s a superstar GM. And that his Hagel deal wasn’t good. That’s “disingenuous”?

I was talking about your initial comment. I didn't even see the other ones when I posted that.

But to be fair, yes, after you got called out for that initial foolishness you were more honest.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I was talking about your initial comment. I didn't even see the other ones when I posted that.

But to be fair, yes, after you got called out for that initial foolishness you were more honest.
I don't appreciate the framing, given that I said "yes" to him being a "superstar" GM or whatever. Not sure what your issue is with me.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The worst kind of GM is an average one. Bad GMs fall under the weight of their own incompetence and are generally sacked sooner rather than later. They will do some damage but it's more short-term. Whereas average GMs will do just enough right to keep their team competitive/on the right path and keep their jobs, without ever putting the team in a true position for ultimate success. They linger and waste multiple years to no purpose.

That's Don Sweeney in a nutshell. Good at some things, occasionally makes a sharp move, but botches too much and lacks the wider vision and nous to create a truly great roster. Most importantly for him he knows how to keep his masters happy without actually winning the big trophy.

Re-signing Don simply reaffirms to me that the Bruins don't prioritize postseason success. Status quo and securing profits trumps being bold and creative in trying to build a Cup-winning team. Here's to another 12 months of the exact same arc and all the same tired debates we just experienced last season. Bruins' gotta Bruin.
Thank you. This is spot on to me, I really take exception to most posters saying hes the worst, really he's just about average. Does some things great, other things he's okay at, and some things he needs improvement.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Goggle Jeff Gorton

its not worth the time, so Ill be brief, but u forgot a few and ill just put their names down as their all trades Sweeney came up on the wrong end of, and as far as the Hall trade, Hall picked the Bruins and the Bruins only. Lindholm deal is way to early to tell. Hopefully your right but there's still a first and a second that Anaheim gets as well as Vaak and who knows he may flourish the same way Lindgren did when Sweeney trade him away.

Nash
N. Ritchie
Rinaldo
Stempniak
1st rnd pick to get rid of Backes
ist rnd pick to get rid of Beleksy
2nd rnd pick o get rid of Moore
Stafford
Vatrano
Liles
Hayes, who he had to Buy out
Hamilton
Lucic

Laughable list.

You think trading Lucic (with one year left on his deal) for the 13th overall pick, Colin Miller and Martin Jones (who he flipped for another 1st and Kuraly) is a bad trade, you have no hope in understand what a good trade is.

Reactions: DKH and pearljamvs5

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Laughable list.

You think trading Lucic (with one year left on his deal) for the 13th overall pick, Colin Miller and Martin Jones (who he flipped for another 1st and Kuraly) is a bad trade, you have no hope in understand what a good trade is.

Well the Backes contract was a direct result of the deal, so that knocks it down to neutral at best. Plus we know what he did with those 1sts

Reactions: Gordoff

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Laughable list.

The Lucic trade on paper was good. Guy essentially had to be traded and they got a real good return for a re-tooling team. The problem is that 7 years later they have nothing to show for the trade except for the still very unproven Zboril. On top of that they have nothing to show for the Hamilton trade that happened at the same time.

It's good if you can trade a guy you need to lose anyway for valuable future assets. It's bad if you're too incompetent to make wise use of those future assets.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The Lucic trade on paper was good. Guy essentially had to be traded and they got a real good return for a re-tooling team. The problem is that 7 years later they have nothing to show for the trade except for the still very unproven Zboril. On top of that they have nothing to show for the Hamilton trade that happened at the same time.

It's good if you can trade a guy you need to lose anyway for valuable future assets. It's bad if you're too incompetent to make wise use of those future assets.

They have Zboril and Frederic. They got 4 great seasons out of Kuraly with two of them on an ELC and a trip to the Cup finals with him as a big contributor. They got two good years from Colin Miller and lost him in the expansion draft.

LA got 20 goals from Lucic and a 5-game first round exit. Edmonton then signed Lucic and had to pay to get rid of him in a deal that's still crippling them.

He sold at the absolute top on Lucic, got top dollar and made a fool out of everyone else. That trade was a masterpiece.

• Haha
Reactions: Estlin

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
They have Zboril and Frederic. They got 4 great seasons out of Kuraly with two of them on an ELC and a trip to the Cup finals with him as a big contributor. They got two good years from Colin Miller and lost him in the expansion draft.

LA got 20 goals from Lucic and a 5-game first round exit. Edmonton then signed Lucic and had to pay to get rid of him in a deal that's still crippling them.

He sold at the absolute top on Lucic, got top dollar and made a fool out of everyone else. That trade was a masterpiece.

Calling any Kuraly season great is a stretch.

I don't think LA is crying about missing Kuraly. Not to mention they got 55 pts in 81 games from Lucic vs 68 points in 207 games for Kuraly in Boston

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Well nobody ever said he wasn't a very good coach.

Well first off, that just isn’t true. Plenty of people have and would say Bruce Cassidy is not a very good coach.

Secondly, the point is that Charlie’s entire stated reason for keeping Sweeney would also support keeping Cassidy.

Not disagreeing or agreeing with the decision to fire Cassidy (though I will say that I think much more of the blame belongs to Don). But the contradiction in reasoning stands out.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Calling any Kuraly season great is a stretch.

I don't think LA is crying about missing Kuraly. Not to mention they got 55 pts in 81 games from Lucic vs 68 points in 207 games for Kuraly in Boston
Kuraly was in San Jose, not LA. We got him doing the Martin Jones dance to get him to SJ without LA and SJ having to trade with each other.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

It's a real credit to the guys Mike O'Connell drafted that this team was competitive despite having almost nothing to show for trades that sent out Tyler Seguin, Milan Lucic, and Dougie Hamilton.

What are we doing here? Seriously, what are we doing?

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Charlie gives the game away here, says exactly what to me is obvious about how the Jacobs run the Bruins - under Sweeny the team wins lots of regular season games, makes the playoffs, keeps the fans happy (in the sense that they keep turning up and buying merch if nothing else) and the money rolling in. Therefore he is doing his job. The end. Cups are nice to have, but the primary focus is elsewhere. And Sweeney knows it. He's not a great GM, but he is a smart guy. He knows how to survive.
More days in first place! I know it’s old but it fits perfectly with this team’s priorities.

Reactions: Gordoff

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Well first off, that just isn’t true. Plenty of people have and would say Bruce Cassidy is not a very good coach.

Secondly, the point is that Charlie’s entire stated reason for keeping Sweeney would also support keeping Cassidy.

Not disagreeing or agreeing with the decision to fire Cassidy (though I will say that I think much more of the blame belongs to Don). But the contradiction in reasoning stands out.
Sweeney’s improved and had a good deadline, Cassidy had not improved and wore his players down and out this season.

I’m glad Sweeney’s deal is done if only that it moves them closer to the next chapter.

• Haha
Reactions: DKH and pearljamvs5

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It's a real credit to the guys Mike O'Connell drafted that this team was competitive despite having almost nothing to show for trades that sent out Tyler Seguin, Milan Lucic, and Dougie Hamilton.

What are we doing here? Seriously, what are we doing?

Sorry if you can't recognize what a great 4th line center Kuraly was. he had the hardest minutes in the entire NHL under Cassidy. He earned $875K in Boston and then $1.275m.

He got double that on the open market and Columbus is very happy with what he's bringing.

In the Cup run he had 10 points in 20 games, which was 7th on the team. He carried around absolute anchors like Nordstrom.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Sorry if you can't recognize what a great 4th line center Kuraly was. he had the hardest minutes in the entire NHL under Cassidy. He earned $875K in Boston and then $1.275m.

He got double that on the open market and Columbus is very happy with what he's bringing.

In the Cup run he had 10 points in 20 games, which was 7th on the team. He carried around absolute anchors like Nordstrom.
A Sweeney specialty 4th liner go figure. lol

Great ? No not at all. A good 4th line player ? Yes, but when you trade a in his prime Milan Lucic U need to bring back more than 4th liners. Looch value at the time of his trade was high, very high and the return turned out to be not so good or as good as it could of been and should of been.

Lucic value to a team goes way beyond the scoresheet even today, but going back to 2015 everyone wanted the next Milan Lucic and Sweeney didn't capitalize on a huge asset he had.

Reactions: Gordoff and Estlin

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
A Sweeney specialty 4th liner go figure. lol

Great ? No not at all. A good 4th line player ? Yes, but when you trade a in his prime Milan Lucic U need to bring back more than 4th liners. Looch value at the time of his trade was high, very high and the return turned out to be not so good or as good as it could of been and should of been.

Lucic value to a team goes way beyond the scoresheet even today, but going back to 2015 everyone wanted the next Milan Lucic and Sweeney didn't capitalize on a huge asset he had.

Wait.... you think Kuraly was the total return for Lucic? Why don't you look up the four pieces they got, including two first rounders.

Lucic was coming off an 81-game, 18-goal season and had 1 year left on his contract. Vancouver would be lucky to get what Sweeney got for Lucic for 99-point JT Miller!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sweeney’s improved and had a good deadline, Cassidy had not improved and wore his players down and out this season.

I’m glad Sweeney’s deal is done if only that it moves them closer to the next chapter.
posters have forgotten, Boston wasn't Cassidy's first coaching job, either, and his average tenure was around 3 years, not 6+

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
posters have forgotten, Boston wasn't Cassidy's first coaching job, either, and his average tenure was around 3 years, not 6+
Hutchie, I'm finally nice to you and wish you a Happy Birthday, and how do you respond? Another post that leaves most of the lunatic fringe scratching their heads looking for relevance. Sighhhhhhh

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff and jgatie

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Wait.... you think Kuraly was the total return for Lucic? Why don't you look up the four pieces they got, including two first rounders.

Lucic was coming off an 81-game, 18-goal season and had 1 year left on his contract. Vancouver would be lucky to get what Sweeney got for Lucic for 99-point JT Miller!
O' no I know exactly what the return was for Looch and it turned out to be not enough for what Loochs value was at that time. Not even close. Now if Sweeney was a more competent GM and drafted a Connor or Barzal or even Chabot with that first rnd pick it would be a whole different story but that didn't happen. There's many many more examples of Sweeney incompetency but at this point its like beating a dead-horse, on all the terrible asset management decisions Sweeney has made.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Not saying it’s a guarantee, but how many years of the same or worse results will it take in the future to re-asses that evaluation? Because I truly don’t believe that the roster as constructed was capable of going any further. With any coach.

And I’m not saying I didn’t have issue with some of how Bruce did things. Any gander at my posts in GDT’s more than shows that. But to say that DS has “improved” over any amount of time…. I find that to be very questionable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad