News Article: Is history about to replay itself? Joe Sakic is shopping for a goalie

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Just me, but if I was another gm/team that would need to be a lot of retaining to make that contract palatable.

Avs been interested in Drouin.....just sayin...lol

Salary can always be retained....not like we dont got cap space..lmao...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Just me, but if I was another gm/team that would need to be a lot of retaining to make that contract palatable.

I agree. But maybe less than we may think. If Habs retain only 30% of his contract, the Habs would be on the hook for $3.15M, the acquiring team would pay $7.35M, which would be more standard for a starter goalie.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Avs been interested in Drouin.....just sayin...lol

Salary can always be retained....not like we dont got cap space..lmao...
Wouldn't retain on Drouin, based on his play earlier in the season. 6 more years is a lot of retaining at whatever number on the Price contract. Guess it should be considered though if the right asset(s) is offered.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Wouldn't retain on Drouin, based on his play earlier in the season. 6 more years is a lot of retaining at whatever number on the Price contract. Guess it should be considered though if the right asset(s) is offered.

no retain on JD..nope..just mentioning Avs had interest......anything is possible with Bergy in Colorado, and he is due for a new contract next year....lol....

For last 3 years we had 8-10 million free cap space...so eating some of Price's contract we'd never miss it ...we got 3 to 8 more years to be a contender too....lol long train to nowhere,and certainly we could afford to eat $$

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Believe they would be interested in Price the player.

Hard to believe they would have any interest in his contract.
The player is the player. The contract can always e played with. Montreal can sweeten it by eating some and the Avs up the return.

And that’s exactly what we should do.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Since people don’t appear to understand the need...

The Avs starting goaltender is hurt. Their normal AHL goalies are also hurt. They are coming up on like three back to back games

They’re basically looking for a short term backup

Reactions: Chili

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

The Avs starting goaltender is hurt. Their normal AHL goalies are also hurt. They are coming up on like three back to back games

They should be looking at cups. And Price can greatly help them do that.

Reactions: vokiel

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

“I’d prefer a hockey trade rather than going into the rental market but we’re going to be open to the rental market as well,” Sakic explained before adding, “I’m not here just looking short term. I’m paid to look after the big picture.”-Joe Sakic

Reactions: vokiel

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
“I’d prefer a hockey trade rather than going into the rental market but we’re going to be open to the rental market as well,” Sakic explained before adding, “I’m not here just looking short term. I’m paid to look after the big picture.”-Joe Sakic
Talking about impact players (forward), not a depth goalie to help the team through injuries

Reactions: dralaf

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I would be absolutely thrilled for Price if he wins a Cup with another team. The return better be worth it and not be a repeat of the Roy trade. But even if it's underwhelming from the Habs perspective, I'd still be happy to see Price win it.

One thing is for sure , he has nearly no chance to win a cup if he sticks around. Habs are years away from anything resembling a cup contender.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
I would be absolutely thrilled for Price if he wins a Cup with another team. The return better be worth it and not be a repeat of the Roy trade. But even if it's underwhelming from the Habs perspective, I'd still be happy to see Price win it.

Cant see Price returning a kings ransom with his contract.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I laugh if Habs pick up Domingue, just to f*** with Avs.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
i remember people saying the exact same thing about Theodore and Aebischer before we dumped Theo’s bad contract on them. He was making $5.3 million for 3 years in a brand new salary cap era where the cap was in the $30 millions and 3 years was considered a decently long term. Stranger things have happened. That said, I think Sakic is seriously considering Tatar which is what we’re seeing. There would be a lot of dynamics to a trade for Price that playoff teams/contenders wouldn’t want to invest all their time into as a deadline deal. It would have to be done in the offseason in my opinion if Price was actually being considered as a moveable option.
Colorado has far too many good players to sign and not enough room. There are ways they could do it, but it would all involve Johnson and I don't see him them moving him, despite him not being the player he once was.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Was listening to the NHL network earlier and a lot of goalie talk out of Colorado is speculation about either Crawford or Lundqvist. Crawford makes sense as he is a UFA.

Price and his contract? Not so much.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The difference between a potential Price trade vs the Roy trade is that Roy was still very much in his prime, and a proven winner.

Price is neither of those things, id shoot him out of a cannon to Colorado.

Yes Price hasn't reached Roy level. Few have. But we complain about the team in front of Price, and justifiably so. Picture Price behind Rantanen, McKinnon, Ladescog, Makar, etc... That's a pretty picture. Though I don't see how it would work salary wise long term. I think Sakic is fine with Grubauer. He's just looking for a temporary goalie, given 2 of their goalies are out.

Kinkaid has a higher chance of going to Colorado than Price.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The difference between a potential Price trade vs the Roy trade is that Roy was still very much in his prime, and a proven winner.

Price is neither of those things, id shoot him out of a cannon to Colorado.

Lol
I love takes like this that completely ignore any factual evidence... Always good for a laugh!

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I don't think Price's head is in it anymore in Montreal. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he's moved. And frankly, it's not a bad thing. I can't see how we could do much worse with a different goalie.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad