News Article: Is history about to replay itself? Joe Sakic is shopping for a goalie

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
That team had 4 players with 80 points or more that regular season in Damphousse, Muller, Bellows, and Lebeau. It also had a 27 year old Roy in his prime.

The two teams are no way close to each other.
With the biggest difference Roy. The greatest playoff goalie of all time and Price couldn't hold his jockstrap.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Anyone in the league would take Price at 8.5

if you retain, anything is possible.

now theres the NTC

the asking Price

and most off all, asking the fans another 5 years.

at the end of this season Price is owed 54 million over next 6 yrs....

That's 9 million a yr in real cash...

If Price was a UFA today, there would be teams who would give him 54 million on a 6 yr deal...IMHO

So, he can be moved if he does want out, i do believe ....Habs might have to eat a little of the cap ...but not a whole bunch ..

Reactions: tazsub3

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
That team had 4 players with 80 points or more that regular season in Damphousse, Muller, Bellows, and Lebeau. It also had a 27 year old Roy in his prime.

The two teams are no way close to each other.

the 4x 80pts guys would have 60pts this season, 1993 was not yet the clutch & grab period.

Reactions: dralaf

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
There is quite a bit of a difference between the 2 teams. The most obvious one is at the center position. Damp house, Muller and Lebeau as 1, 2 and 3 is a lot better than Danault, Suzuki and whoever else. The team was also tougher. I do agree that Roy was a better goalie than Pricr, especially come playoffs time.

I'll give you that one, the centerline was better.
The D was very young. But they played incredibly (I think this has a lot to do with a Roy that was given them confidence).

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The delta between those clubs is huge. And again, look at who we faced in the playoffs that year. We beat a good but green Quebec team and then it was the Islanders for Pete's sake. We were evenly matched or better against pretty much every club Roy ever beat.

That takes nothing away from his play, he was awesome. But the '93 team beats the ever living shit out of this team.

Yeah because they all played with supreme confidence in front of the best goaltending performance potentially ever.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There is quite a bit of a difference between the 2 teams. The most obvious one is at the center position. Damp house, Muller and Lebeau as 1, 2 and 3 is a lot better than Danault, Suzuki and whoever else. The team was also tougher. I do agree that Roy was a better goalie than Pricr, especially come playoffs time.
Roy was a very inconsistent playoff goalie. He actually LOST us a few playoff series, something Price never did. And he had much better teams in front of him.

Without a doubt Price would've won cups on those teams. Hell, he got us to the semifinals with a team that was bottom third everywhere before getting hurt. No doubt he'd win with a good club.

As for Roy, great when he was on. But he was off a lot more than people remember. There was a poll in the Gazette shortly before '93 and the majority wanted him traded. And he also got the hell out of dodge as soon as the team went into decline. His numbers would've tanked had he stayed.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah because they all played with supreme confidence in front of the best goaltending performance potentially ever.
When he was on, he was on. But the '86 team was a freaking dream defensive team. You had two of the best defensive forwards ever. You had Chelios and Robinson... stacked!

The '93 team was good but not great. Definitely a weaker team to win the cup. But even there he had a good young mobile blueline and three or four forwards who are better than anything we have today, plus he had freaking Carbonneau. And we also had the good fortune of playing weaker teams along the way.

So YES Roy deserves credit for being awesome but I think he's largely overrated. He was great when he was on but he was inconsistent.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
the 4x 80pts guys would have 60pts this season, 1993 was not yet the clutch & grab period.

Ok another way to look at it:

In 92-93 our top 4 scorers were 24th, 28th, 33rd, and 52nd in points.

This season our top 4 are 33rd, 87th, 100th, and 108th in scoring.

Edit, currently 24th in scoring this season - Sebastian Aho.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drebin

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Roy was a very inconsistent playoff goalie. He actually LOST us a few playoff series, something Price never did. And he had much better teams in front of him.

Without a doubt Price would've won cups on those teams. Hell, he got us to the semifinals with a team that was bottom third everywhere before getting hurt. No doubt he'd win with a good club.

As for Roy, great when he was on. But he was off a lot more than people remember. There was a poll in the Gazette shortly before '93 and the majority wanted him traded. And he also got the hell out of dodge as soon as the team went into decline. His numbers would've tanked had he stayed.
Roy was somewhat inconsistent and he did lose a few hockey series. The one big difference for me is that Roy could step up big time in series and won Stanley cups by doing so.

Reactions: yianik

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
When he was on, he was on. But the '86 team was a freaking dream defensive team. You had two of the best defensive forwards ever. You had Chelios and Robinson... stacked!

The '93 team was good but not great. Definitely a weaker team to win the cup. But even there he had a good young mobile blueline and three or four forwards who are better than anything we have today, plus he had freaking Carbonneau. And we also had the good fortune of playing weaker teams along the way.

So YES Roy deserves credit for being awesome but I think he's largely overrated. He was great when he was on but he was inconsistent.
I would love to see Price with Colorado for the next few years. Price is in the same situation Hasek was when he played with Sabres. He had a bad team in front of him and alone he took them to the Stanely cup final in 1998-1999, only to lose on the infamous Brett Hull goal. When Hasek played for the Redwings, they finished with 51 wins the year they won the cup.

Hasek was superior to both Price and Roy.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Sure, Drouin, Kolvachuck on a per season basis would make this current team a bit deeper than the 1993 edition.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

We also had Carbonneau. One of the best defensive forwards ever. He came in very handy against Gretzky.

Reactions: tazsub3

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I would love to see Price with Colorado for the next few years. Price is in the same situation Hasek was when he played with Sabres. He had a bad team in front of him and alone he took them to the Stanely cup final in 1998-1999, only to lose on the infamous Brett Hull goal. When Hasek played for the Redwings, they finished with 51 wins the year they won the cup.

Hasek was superior to both Price and Roy.
I always argued against Hasek because he always seemed lucky. But his numbers are undeniable. He's probably the best of all time. Plante and Dryden might have something to say about it but in the modern era... tough not to go with Hasek.

Reactions: Walrus26

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

1986 was a good team, suffocating.

1993 he was not. Best year by far (Price had one of those...). He started to become more inconsistent in 1994 and then more in 1995, leading up to the event...

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
I would be curious as to the age of the posters making claims as to Roy being overrated and his teams as juggernauts with a lot of luck and weak teams to play.
I find the statements quite absurd. 5 final appearances, 4 championships & 4 mvps in those. And yes I did see them all.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
With the biggest difference Roy. The greatest playoff goalie of all time and Price couldn't hold his jockstrap.
I will say it again, you have a selective memory...
As guys have said, when he was on he was on.........but he was hot garbage alot of playoff years.

Hall of famers out in front of him, on all of his Cups, in MOntreal and Colorado.

907 save % for his career. Just saying....

JennyHockey

Feb 17, 2020
As guys have said, when he was on he was on.........but he was hot garbage alot of playoff years.

Hall of famers out in front of him, on all of his Cups, in MOntreal and Colorado.

Ill still take Roy anyday for a stanley cup final.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I would be curious as to the age of the posters making claims as to Roy being overrated and his teams as juggernauts with a lot of luck and weak teams to play.
I find the statements quite absurd. 5 final appearances, 4 championships & 4 mvps in those. And yes I did see them all.
No way was he overrated, as a 57 yr old poster, who has watched the Habs with memory since 1970-71 I can certainly say he had some amazing moments with the Habs, but he also had some miserable failures with the Habs. Hall of fame players out in front of him for several years.
Was disappointed in him, when he ran out of town, yes Tremblay created this, but it sure looked like he wanted out, and he left.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I always argued against Hasek because he always seemed lucky. But his numbers are undeniable. He's probably the best of all time. Plante and Dryden might have something to say about it but in the modern era... tough not to go with Hasek.
I argued about Hasek as well until I put my French Canadian bias aside. I always said that Roy and Brodeur were the best I the league at the time.
Look at Buffalo's team when they to the Stanley Cup finals, they had Satan, Peca, Brown, Grosek and Ward as best forwards and Wooley and Zhitnik as best dmen. Roy, Brodeur, Plante and Dryden played on much better teams for much longuer than Hasek ever did. Hasek didn't have as many chances as they had.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The '93 team is significantly better.

Agreed, they also finished the regular season as the 6th best team in the league. 102 points in 84 games without loser points and shootouts is pretty good. There is a chance that this team this season finishes 6th last.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Agreed, they also finished the regular season as the 6th best team in the league. 102 points in 84 games without loser points and shootouts is pretty good. There is a chance that this team this season finishes 6th last.

All those elements increasing the impact of Roy on results.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

The most incredible playoff career of any goalie maybe the best of any PLAYER of all time. In between his 1986 and 1993 win no goalie posted a higher save percentage or GAA in the playoffs then him. He won 2 Conn Smythe trophies. He won three Stanley cups.
Sure he wasn't great EVERY year. Who the hell is? Hall of Famers in front of him? And maybe he was the best of them. He won with Vincent Damphousse and Brian Bellows as the best players, LOL, give me a break. It's ridiculous that you do anything but bow down to his greatness.
Appreciate the substantial difference between his career and Mr. Regular Season Carey Price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->