News Article: Is history about to replay itself? Joe Sakic is shopping for a goalie

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The most incredible playoff career of any goalie maybe the best of any PLAYER of all time. In between his 1986 and 1993 win no goalie posted a higher save percentage or GAA in the playoffs then him. He won 2 Conn Smythe trophies. He won three Stanley cups.
Sure he wasn't great EVERY year. Who the hell is? Hall of Famers in front of him? And maybe he was the best of them. He won with Vincent Damphousse and Brian Bellows as the best players, LOL, give me a break. It's ridiculous that you do anything but bow down to his greatness.
Appreciate the substantial difference between his career and Mr. Regular Season Carey Price.
Appreciate the substantial difference between their respective teams.

Is Ken Dryden better? He has significantly better numbers than anyone. His teams were significantly better than Roy's... just as Roy's were significantly better than Price's.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I would be curious as to the age of the posters making claims as to Roy being overrated and his teams as juggernauts with a lot of luck and weak teams to play.
I find the statements quite absurd. 5 final appearances, 4 championships & 4 mvps in those. And yes I did see them all.
What do you find absurd? The fact (and it is a fact) that he won against lesser teams? Or is it the fact that he was inconsistent in the playoffs? Both charges are true.

That doesn’t mean he wasn’t awesome or that he doesn’t deserve the Smythes he won here. He was incredible in those two runs.

Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I argued about Hasek as well until I put my French Canadian bias aside. I always said that Roy and Brodeur were the best I the league at the time.
Look at Buffalo's team when they to the Stanley Cup finals, they had Satan, Peca, Brown, Grosek and Ward as best forwards and Wooley and Zhitnik as best dmen. Roy, Brodeur, Plante and Dryden played on much better teams for much longuer than Hasek ever did. Hasek didn't have as many chances as they had.
One thing about Dryden... yes, he played on better teams over the course of his career, but he also led the biggest upset in NHL history. The 1971 Bruins were one of the best teams ever assembled and the Habs were an over the hill team. We were not expected to win that series as they were a much, much better team.

I did not get to see that series and it's not available on video. But by all accounts it was one of the best displays of goaltending ever seen and he led his team to a huge upset. That's something Roy never did. I don't think Dryden gets the credit he deserves. People dismiss him because he was behind a powerhouse but that team didn't win a cup without him when he went away for a season and they didn't win jack once he retired. And his '71 cup is at least as impressive if not more than either of Roy's cup runs. He beat not one, but two powerhouses.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Appreciate the substantial difference between their respective teams.

Is Ken Dryden better? He has significantly better numbers than anyone. His teams were significantly better than Roy's... just as Roy's were significantly better than Price's.
Except Price has won ZERO despite having teams that finished 2nd, 3rd, and 7th overall. He was never able to elevate his play in the playoffs.
Dryden? I got him second all time.
But he only played 7 seasons so it's no argument.
Roy? How about 3 Conn Smyth Trophies. Let that sink in. When his team won the cup he was the best player and it wasn't even close.
Inbetween his 1986 and 1993 wins NO GOALIE had his SP or GAA. That is incredible.
151 wins, 23 shutouts and a .616 winning percentage.
winning 10 straight overtime games in 1993. That's ridiculous.
Roy is so far ahead of Price it's not even funny.
Roy is the GOAT.

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
He'd have won multiple cups if he'd had Roy calibre teams. He's an outstanding goalie who's been stuck behind crap for three years now.

Roy will always have the pedigree because he won but as we've discussed in a few threads, he never really had an upset series even in those cup wins. He never had to face the Oilers or the Pens... we got lucky and he also played great. He deserves every bit of praise but he at least had a chance of winning. Price never had the teams to do it.

I think if Colorado added Price, they'd win at least one cup.
Patrick Roy won four Stanley Cups; two with the Habs and two with the Avs while losing his sole Cup to the Flames. He was on the verge of losing to Larry Robinson’s coached Devils but he vowed to Ray Bourque that he will help him win a Cup and he did.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Except Price has won ZERO despite having teams that finished 2nd, 3rd, and 7th overall.
We've been down this road before and you got smoked. Those teams were where they were in the standings largely because of him. They were bottom third teams in all things not goaltending.

You aren't fooling anyone with this stuff.
He was never able to elevate his play in the playoffs.
Also nonsense. Unlike Roy, he was able to beat an overwhelming favourite and since becoming the full time starter has been consistently good in the playoffs.
Dryden? I got him second all time.
But he only played 7 seasons so it's no argument.
Yeah... no. The guy won the cup pretty much every year he played. He has almost as many shutouts as losses and unlike Roy he beat better teams than his own.
Roy? How about 3 Conn Smyth Trophies. Let that sink in.
Yep and he was great in those runs. Nobody would dispute this.

But the best team he beat in '86 was the Hartford Whalers. The best team he beat in '93 was the Nords. Neither time did he beat the best team in the league. And he had easy runs along the way in terms of opponents.
When his team won the cup he was the best player and it wasn't even close.
Inbetween his 1986 and 1993 wins NO GOALIE had his SP or GAA. That is incredible.
Actually, it was pretty close in '86. Claude Lemieux would've been a fine choice that year too. But there's no doubt he was wicked and nobody would say otherwise.

Again though, he didn't have to beat teams better than his own.

151 wins, 23 shutouts and a .616 winning percentage.
winning 10 straight overtime games in 1993. That's ridiculous.
Roy is so far ahead of Price it's not even funny.
Roy is the GOAT.
Again, Roy will always have the better resume but that's largely because he played on better teams. Dryden has the better resume than Roy... was he the better goalie? I'm not sure. He was certainly more consistent than Roy was. He beat teams better than his own... I think it's pretty close and Dryden might actually be better. Tough to know though because he played on much better teams for most of his career. Just like Roy played on better teams than Price did... The only time Price had a team capable of winning was with Team Canada and he took home gold. Again, something Roy was not able to do.

And honestly, hard to see how anyone is better than Hasek. He played on some pretty weak teams and it took a "fake" goal to beat him in the finals.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
We've been down this road before and you got smoked. Those teams were where they were in the standings largely because of him. They were bottom third teams in all things not goaltending.

You aren't fooling anyone with this stuff.

Also nonsense. Unlike Roy, he was able to beat an overwhelming favourite and since becoming the full time starter has been consistently good in the playoffs.

Yeah... no. The guy won the cup pretty much every year he played. He has almost as many shutouts as losses and unlike Roy he beat better teams than his own.

Yep and he was great in those runs. Nobody would dispute this.

But the best team he beat in '86 was the Hartford Whalers. The best team he beat in '93 was the Nords. Neither time did he beat the best team in the league. And he had easy runs along the way in terms of opponents.

Actually, it was pretty close in '86. Claude Lemieux would've been a fine choice that year too. But there's no doubt he was wicked and nobody would say otherwise.

Again though, he didn't have to beat teams better than his own.

Again, Roy will always have the better resume but that's largely because he played on better teams. Dryden has the better resume than Roy... was he the better goalie? I'm not sure. He was certainly more consistent than Roy was. He beat teams better than his own... I think it's pretty close and Dryden might actually be better. Tough to know though because he played on much better teams for most of his career. Just like Roy played on better teams than Price did... The only time Price had a team capable of winning was with Team Canada and he took home gold. Again, something Roy was not able to do.

And honestly, hard to see how anyone is better than Hasek. He played on some pretty weak teams and it took a "fake" goal to beat him in the finals.

Funny how it was all price who got his teams to 2nd, 3rd and 7th overall in the regular season but it was the teams fault for not winning for him in the playoffs? Do I got that right LOL.
PRice on Team Canada? My grandma would have won the gold medal in net. That was a super stacked Canada team.
Again Roy is considered by most to be the GOAT. Just a few bitter Price fans don't change that.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Funny how it was all price who got his teams to 2nd, 3rd and 7th overall in the regular season but it was the teams fault for not winning for him in the playoffs? Do I got that right LOL.
PRice on Team Canada? My grandma would have won the gold medal in net. That was a super stacked Canada team.
Again Roy is considered by most to be the GOAT. Just a few bitter Price fans don't change that.

What did Roy win behind a stacked Team Canada in ‘98? Not saying that means a whole lot. But just because Price cant hold up against arguably one of the top 1-2 goalies to ever play the game isn’t much of an insult, especially considering the teams they played on in comparison. You’ve mentioned multiple times on this page alone on where the teams while he was in his prime finished and didn’t mention once how big of a reason he was for the team overachieving during that period. Those weren’t contenders, they were pretenders. A prime Roy/Hasek wasn’t winning cups behind those teams. Our only chance to win a cup since ‘93 was in 2014 when Kreider took him out. Every other year, the teams either couldn’t score or were subpar with a lack of true talent up front.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This could happen but not this year or even next year. Avs will have to be humbled in next after trying on several guys first and it not working. Then they will get serious and the timing could be perfect too... Larger Salary cap with Seattle and new US TV deal.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
What did Roy win behind a stacked Team Canada in ‘98? Not saying that means a whole lot. But just because Price cant hold up against arguably one of the top 1-2 goalies to ever play the game isn’t much of an insult, especially considering the teams they played on in comparison. You’ve mentioned multiple times on this page alone on where the teams while he was in his prime finished and didn’t mention once how big of a reason he was for the team overachieving during that period. Those weren’t contenders, they were pretenders. A prime Roy/Hasek wasn’t winning cups behind those teams. Our only chance to win a cup since ‘93 was in 2014 when Kreider took him out. Every other year, the teams either couldn’t score or were subpar with a lack of true talent up front.
Price has been a great regular season goalie.
But you cant say he was responsible for 2nd, 3rd and 7 overall but then in the playoffs it was because the team was bad. LOL. That's hilarious.
Roy is the GOAT. Plain and simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad