News Article: Is history about to replay itself? Joe Sakic is shopping for a goalie

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Yup - like the pressure of not stopping a Cam Neely blue line slap shot in the playoffs. How many HOFers were on the 86 team again? Habs hasn’t lost to Bruins in the playoffs in close to 50-years till Roy started choking every year in the playoffs vs Bruins starting with collapse in 88. Wouldn’t have beaten Bruins in 93 without major Sabres upset let alone beat the Pens, same with Oilers in 86. Was outplayed pretty significantly in 89 by Vernon.

Roy was a great goalie without doubt but he had major flaws and the Habs teams he won with were far superior to the Habs teams Price has had in front of him...selective memory.

Price hasn’t had anything close to the following on his team;
- Naslund 100-point season (86 Cup)
- Richer two 50-goal seasons
- Big C Bobby Smith with multiple 80+ point seasons (86 Cup & 89 Cup finals)
- Damphousse with 97 point season (93 Cup)
Roy : -Sorry, I can't hear you with my two (now four) Stanley cups blocking my ears.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Anyone in the league would take Price at 8.5

if you retain, anything is possible.

now theres the NTC

the asking Price

and most off all, asking the fans another 5 years.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017

now theres the NTC

the asking Price

First Marco Scandella was traded, then Bergey rushed Shea Weber back into the lineup which sent a mixed message to the squad and the fans. Are the Habs vying for a playoff spot or was that another step in the perpetual reset? Tonight's game against the Sens should tell all.

If Bergy trades Kovi by next Monday, then for sure, he has given up on this season. If the Habs retain the angle injury prone Weber, he and Gally should be all the leadership the locker room needs. Carey Price would be glad to relocate to Denver to finish his career with a stupendous opportunity to win his first ever Stanley Cup. Yes, Bergy has to eat at least $3M of Price's annual $10.5M salary for Joe Sakic to be interested.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
First Marco Scandella was traded, then Bergey rushed Shea Weber back into the lineup which sent a mixed message to the squad and the fans. Are the Habs vying for a playoff spot or was that another step in the perpetual reset? Tonight's game against the Sens should tell all.

If Bergy trades Kovi by next Monday, then for sure, he has given up on this season. If the Habs retain the angle injury prone Weber, he and Gally should be all the leadership the locker room needs. Carey Price would be glad to relocate to Denver to finish his career with a stupendous opportunity to win his first ever Stanley Cup. Yes, Bergy has to eat at least $3M of Price's annual $10.5M salary for Joe Sakic to be interested.
Bergevin rushed Weber back into the lineup??

:laugh:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

now theres the NTC

the asking Price

We're already in the gutter :dunno:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's nothing like Roy and I surely hope I'm not alone to think that.
He'd have won multiple cups if he'd had Roy calibre teams. He's an outstanding goalie who's been stuck behind crap for three years now.

Roy will always have the pedigree because he won but as we've discussed in a few threads, he never really had an upset series even in those cup wins. He never had to face the Oilers or the Pens... we got lucky and he also played great. He deserves every bit of praise but he at least had a chance of winning. Price never had the teams to do it.

I think if Colorado added Price, they'd win at least one cup.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

now theres the NTC

the asking Price

Price won't go anywhere unless we retain. The more we retain the better the return. And we have tons of cap space anyways and should be rebuilding. Personally I'd eat a ton of cap space, deal him to the Avs and ask for some top prospects. I'd also throw in Petry, Tatar, Domi, Kovy... whatever it took to maximize the returns.

Reactions: ultraboy

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I don't think MB wants to trade him and he definitely is too cheap to retain salary.

I agree, that’s why I don’t see it happening. Marc hasn’t committed to a direction yet, I don’t see it happening now.

The goal seems to be to make the playoffs (next season), not to build a long term Stanley Cup contender.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree, that’s why I don’t see it happening. Marc hasn’t committed to a direction yet, I don’t see it happening now.

The goal seems to be to make the playoffs (next season), not to build a long term Stanley Cup contender.
We could get quite a haul if we sold at the deadline. Petry, Tatar, Price, Kovy, Weber... any and all could be dealt. Would be awesome to restart things and draft high for a couple of years. We could get some stop gaps in UFA.

The only guys I see moving are Tatar and Kovy.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
We could get quite a haul if we sold at the deadline. Petry, Tatar, Price, Kovy, Weber... any and all could be dealt. Would be awesome to restart things and draft high for a couple of years. We could get some stop gaps in UFA.

The only guys I see moving are Tatar and Kovy.

That would be great. If that happened I would be excited about the long term potential of this franchise for the first time in years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price has such an emotional attachment to most fans. He's a fading superstar that would be shopped on a rebuilding team. But here we hang on to the legends while the W/L suffer greatly.
He should be jettisoned out of town with Weber so we can actually rebuild this team. It's a joke keeping these two .
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I can't think of a single poster who thinks we should keep him.

This team is toast. It had a window where we could've done something and we squandered it. I'd deal pretty much all the vets except Gallagher.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
He'd have won multiple cups if he'd had Roy calibre teams. He's an outstanding goalie who's been stuck behind crap for three years now.

Roy will always have the pedigree because he won but as we've discussed in a few threads, he never really had an upset series even in those cup wins. He never had to face the Oilers or the Pens... we got lucky and he also played great. He deserves every bit of praise but he at least had a chance of winning. Price never had the teams to do it.

Maybe in Colorado but not in Montreal, Roy won the habs last 2 cups on his brilliance. Don't think Price has that in him, or maybe not anymore.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Maybe in Colorado but not in Montreal, Roy won the habs last 2 cups on his brilliance. Don't think Price has that in him, or maybe not anymore.
Price isn't going to win jack here on this team. No goalie would. We are at best a bubble team even with Price.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
MB would NEVER trade Price... only way he’d get traded is if he specifically requested it like Roy did and if that’s the case then don’t expect a decent return...

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Price isn't going to win jack here on this team. No goalie would. We are at best a bubble team even with Price.

The point I'm making is that the 1993 team was not that far from the current one. The delta between Roy and Price is much of the difference. The 1993 habs sneaked in the playoffs and then Roy single-eliminated the Nords, before winning so many more over time games (rings a bell?). Price would have won us 5-7 more games, we would be in the playoff picture.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The point I'm making is that the 1993 team was not that far from this one. The delta between Roy and Price is much of the difference. The 1993 habs sneaked in the playoffs and then Roy single-eliminated the Nords, before winning so many more over time games (rings a bell?)
The delta between those clubs is huge. And again, look at who we faced in the playoffs that year. We beat a good but green Quebec team and then it was the Islanders for Pete's sake. We were evenly matched or better against pretty much every club Roy ever beat.

That takes nothing away from his play, he was awesome. But the '93 team beats the ever living shit out of this team.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
The difference between a potential Price trade vs the Roy trade is that Roy was still very much in his prime, and a proven winner.

Price is neither of those things, id shoot him out of a cannon to Colorado.
People pretended Roy was in decline based on the lockout year and the start to 95-96... let’s not revise history.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
The point I'm making is that the 1993 team was not that far from the current one. The delta between Roy and Price is much of the difference. The 1993 habs sneaked in the playoffs and then Roy single-eliminated the Nords, before winning so many more over time games (rings a bell?). Price would have won us 5-7 more games, we would be in the playoff picture.
There is quite a bit of a difference between the 2 teams. The most obvious one is at the center position. Damp house, Muller and Lebeau as 1, 2 and 3 is a lot better than Danault, Suzuki and whoever else. The team was also tougher. I do agree that Roy was a better goalie than Pricr, especially come playoffs time.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

Genuine question; did Roy beat a team as good as the 2014 Bruins whilst with Montreal?

Obviously he got the better of the ‘96 wings (and ‘99 & 2000 plus the 2001 Devils) but he was on Powerhouse teams himself.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

That team had 4 players with 80 points or more that regular season in Damphousse, Muller, Bellows, and Lebeau. It also had a 27 year old Roy in his prime.

The two teams are no way close to each other.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I can't think of a single poster who thinks we should keep him.

This team is toast. It had a window where we could've done something and we squandered it. I'd deal pretty much all the vets except Gallagher.
I don't know about this forum but what about the city in general?
Why else are they keeping this guy?
If anything he's fools gold and keeps the team from being worse and getting better picks.
we would be pretty close to the bottom without Price, even if he's just barely above average.
His contract probably prevents anything from happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->