Is Georges Laraque telling Porkies?

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Wait... people care even more about stories around players in their organization or who used to play for their team? What a breakthrough in human psychology. You're halfway to a PhD :teach2:

How dare you defend the best player on your team.

tenor.gif

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Oilers fans want it to be true because its now the only way to justify the Hall trade.
Some oilers fans, Im glad its not, Hall doesn't deserve the crap he gets , our fanbase is so fickle turning their backs on players and ripping them apart.
We lost the trade, no one can justify that we lost a superstar for a good number 3, Im ashamed of SOME of my fellow oiler fans

Reactions: Colin226

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
So if Laraque isn’t a journalist with devotion to the truth, does that just make him a ******* for deciding to go public with his Hall rehab story?

In our present and shameless pop-culture, doesn't momentary (let alone constant) public contrition immediately make a person "heroic"? It's all rather arbitrary at this point isn't it?

Said differently, it's the ******* we prefer over the ******* we don't these days.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
you are now 1,000,000% trolling. impressive.

you claim you would have talked about it at the time if there were news reports to back it up, but you signed up like six months ago...

unless you have a new account after getting banned for spewing similar nonsense.
There were lots of rumors about Carey Price around the time of his injury this season which were not allowed to be discussed. There is a big difference between a news reports and speculation.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
i'm maintaining the position that the general spread of disinformation is what caused this, georges is just as much as a victim. he should have done further due diligence but if he really believed his source, then his source is the liar.

op went in way too hot calling him "liar," but in fairness there clearly seems to be people bent on spreading/accepting this story. those people are the problem, not georges.
I'm sure Hall cares deeply about how Laraque is a victim.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Such a POS thing to do.

Even if it were true, why do you have to go out and share that type information? Let it stay under wraps.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
You, also, should read some more of my posts in this thread.

First page hot takes FTW.
I read it and it forgive him way too easily. I maintain he should have kept his mouth shut or actually do the work involved if he wants to be a journalist and vet his sources and find corroborating sources which is what a real journalist would do.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Hall didn't go to rehab that is all he retracted. Lol. Yeah but does not retract everything else he said. If anything he worded only around rehab.

Hall had problems off the ice, and went to rehab during the summer of his trade (2016),

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I read it and it forgive him way too easily. I maintain he should have kept his mouth shut or actually do the work involved if he wants to be a journalist and vet his sources and find corroborating sources which is what a real journalist would do.

In the event he was misled by a source he had a history with that he thought he could trust, that's forgivable in the regard that I don't think Georges was intent on defaming Taylor Hall.

He really should have been smart enough to verify across independent sources that don't communicate with each other directly, though, especially in that radio hosts may not be traditional "journalists" but they are at least held to a standard to not spread false information over the air (usually).

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
What's up with you guys? It seems like an honest error. Whats with the conspiracies?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sounds like legal action was threatened. But who knows for sure what happens off the ice?

Best lesson here, unless you have 100 proof best not to say anything.

For instance, I have heard various rumours on players for years. But won't repeat them because they are just rumours. But I have heard enough of them to say, where there is smoke there may be fire. Still have to prove them before posting them.

It's the only responsible thing to do.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Just climbing behind a mike does not make you a journalist. Some people don't seem to get this.
Right, you must have those "layers and layers of fact-checkers" behind you to qualify as a Journalist (spoken with requisite hushed, reverential tone). Only the anointed ones are capable of furnishing The Truth to we minions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad