Is Erik Karlsson still a top 5-10 dman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Holy **** [mod]. Vlasic has been one of the worst defenceman in the league this year and he doesn't play with Karlsson. Jesus ****ing Christ why am I wasting my time replying to someone who has no clue whats happening.

Somehow, I sincerely doubt that Vlasic has been one of the worst defensemen in the league this year. Not good, that I can imagine, but worst?

And, seriously, try to calm yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dingo

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Somehow, I sincerely doubt that Vlasic has been one of the worst defensemen in the league this year. Not good, that I can imagine, but worst?

His response was over-the-top, but it's pretty sad how the other poster acted like he knew how Karlsson plays, yet got something so blatantly wrong like who his d-partner is.
And yeah, Vlasic has been terrible this season. His play is 3rd pairing quality and he's been the 6th or 7th worst D on the team.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
His response was over-the-top, but it's pretty sad how the other poster acted like he knew how Karlsson plays, yet got something so blatantly wrong like who his d-partner is.
And yeah, Vlasic has been terrible this season. His play is 3rd pairing quality and he's been the 6th or 7th worst D on the team.

Perhaps I've missed the context of his answer, but the guy was way too high-strung in his reply.
And wow, didn't think I'd see Vlasic playing that badly. Would you trade him 1-fo-1 for Alzner? (I kid)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The concern is his goal differential. It doesn't matter what else you offer if your team is outscored with you on the ice year in and year out.

It's been trending in the right direction lately.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And now you see what happens when the entire offense doesn't run through Karlsson. Unable to put up those same numbers despite being surrounded by comparable players to what Carlson has.

The idea that the guy who's had the most RS points for D last season, most points for D last playoffs on the way to a cup, most points this year while playing in all situations with passable partners is nowhere remotely close to what Erik Karlsson has been since the start of 2017 is laughable.
VsX07cZ.gif

Reactions: Nifty Willy and JFG

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah it's pretty much impossible to score on a PP with 4 of Couture/Burns/Pavelski/Thornton/Hertl/Kane/Meier, gotta be prime Orr on steroids
You said comparable to what Carlson has.

The Sharks are a very talented team, but there's nothing on that roster even remotely close to what Ovechkin and Backstrom are right now.

Thornton was but that's a long time ago.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Krug? Carlson? Josi? Damn man. I can get taking Doughty, Hedman, Subban, or maybe even Burns (though not imo), but the rest are a solid NO right now. Dahlin and Jones hold more trade value.

Krug and Josi are absolutely excellent m, especially Josi who literally has it all and is better then PK. I feel henis anyway....I’m not saying I would take them over Karlsson he’s been a lot better lately I said that if he kept up his play from earlier and the injuries move wrecked his game I would.

Reactions: TychoFan

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Vlasic is currently tied for 4th worst +- in the league amongst D, so yeah. One of the worst defensemen in the league this year. Mind you, this is after being a plus (and generally double digit plus) player the 10 prior seasons.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
You don't think that vlasic is elite defensively?
Not only is Vlasic not elite defensively he hasn't spent any time with karlsson after like the first 5 games. You are clearly clueless and haven't watched the Sharks at all this season or even looked up a stats sheet so you probably shouldn't even comment on them.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Not only is Vlasic not elite defensively he hasn't spent any time with karlsson after like the first 5 games. You are clearly clueless and haven't watched the Sharks at all this season or even looked up a stats sheet so you probably shouldn't even comment on them.

No I haven't watched every minute of the Sharks this season, maybe 5% of posters in this thread have.

The point is that Karlsson being so awesome should have fit with Vlasic who has been elite defensively for sometime.

Karlsson clearly isnt a top 10 Dman any more and he wasn't last year.

He might get back there but that's another question.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
No I haven't watched every minute of the Sharks this season, maybe 5% of posters in this thread have.

The point is that Karlsson being so awesome should have fit with Vlasic who has been elite defensively for sometime.

By every minute you mean "at all" an haven't bothered to look up stats to defend your points. But we are supposed to agree with your assessment of a player who plays on a team you don't pay attention to in the slightest. ok.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

For the sake of you own credibility, please stop. Vlasic has been the worst defensive player on the Sharks this year at a -14. By comparison, EK65 is -5 and has been trending positively after a poor start.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
For the sake of you own credibility, please stop. Vlasic has been the worst defensive player on the Sharks this year at a -14. By comparison, EK65 is -5 and has been trending positively after a poor start.

and most of Karlssons -'s came when he was paired with Vlasic. Vlasic really shouldn't be an NHL regular right now.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
By every minute you mean "at all" an haven't bothered to look up stats to defend your points. But we are supposed to agree with your assessment of a player who plays on a team you don't pay attention to in the slightest. ok.

Yes I actually have seen them play parts of a couple of games and did look up EK's and other Dmen stats b4 posting in this thread.

Perhaps you could address those points instead of my viewing habits?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Yes I actually have seen them play parts of a couple of games and did look up EK's and other Dmen stats b4 posting in this thread.

well if this is true im sorry but you just dont know how to evaluate hockey.

Reactions: tiburon12

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah it's pretty much impossible to score on a PP with 4 of Couture/Burns/Pavelski/Thornton/Hertl/Kane/Meier, gotta be prime Orr on steroids

Ovechkin has 1 less power play since 2017-2018 than Evander Kane does in his entire career, hilarious that you would mention him in a list of good players on the PP. Timo Meier also has 6 PP goals in his entire career, it’s f***ing hilarious of you to act as if these players are anywhere near the level of the legitimately elite PP personnel of the Capitals.

Karlsson and Burns actually haven’t spent all that much time together on the PP, mainly because the PP coach is a f***ing idiot who needed to be fired immediately after the 2016-2017 playoffs. In fact, Karlsson has played more on the PP without Burns than he has with him.

Parts of a couple games, so basically nothing.

I’m also curious to hear what stats you looked up. Did you look up the fact that Erik Karlsson has a 35.29% GF with Marc-Edouard Vlasic and a 51.28% GF without him?

The issue on that pairing was pretty obviously Vlasic who is legitimately one of the worst players in the NHL this season and it’s pretty funny to see people expose how clueless they are when they say Vlasic is a top shut down defenseman in the league. He literally hasn’t been at that level since Barack Obama was President of the United States and if you’re so clueless that you aren’t aware of Vlasic being legitimately terrible, you’re not informed enough to comment on Erik Karlsson’s play.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
well if this is true im sorry but you just dont know how to evaluate hockey.

and most of Karlssons -'s came when he was paired with Vlasic. Vlasic really shouldn't be an NHL regular right now.

Then you must know something that Peter Deboer doesn't since he plays Vlasic 18:38 5x5 MPG just behind Burns at 18:40 and leads the Sharks on the PK at 2:30 MPG.

Throw in the heavy lifting last on the team in offensive zone starts.

But he shouldn't be an NHL regular?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Well Vlasic actually has been paired with EK 28.5% which has to be more than 5 games, one wouldn't need to watch a single minute of the Sharks this year to know that.

He has been paired with Braun 59% of the year and they do the heavy lifting at the back end 5x5 and the PK.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Then you must know something that Peter Deboer doesn't since he plays Vlasic 18:38 5x5 MPG just behind Burns at 18:40 and leads the Sharks on the PK at 2:30 MPG.

Throw in the heavy lifting last on the team in offensive zone starts.

But he shouldn't be an NHL regular?

Peter DeBoer isn’t actually a perfect coach, believe it or not.

This is a guy who played Micheal Haley for 58 games and Timo Meier for 34 when he had them on the same roster. This is a guy who has yet to healthy scratch Melker Karlsson, one of the worst players in the NHL, but who decided Antti Suomela, a strong #3C, needed to be sent to the Barracuda.

However, he does appear to have seen the light with Vlasic. Over the past 6 games, where the Sharks are 5-1-0, Vlasic has only been playing 17:31 per game at 5V5; that’s 4th among Sharks defensemen and 40 seconds less than Justin Braun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad