Is Erik Karlsson still a top 5-10 dman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Train wreck defensively. Just brutal out there. Very good offensively obviously but nowhere near the talent of guys like Hedman and Doughty who are great at both ends of the ice.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
I'm not surprised that his shtick isn't flying in a new team that's actually used to winning.

Erik Karlsson has always been a player that gives a lot... and takes a lot. In the long run he contributes much more, obviously, but he's always toying with the line between winning and losing. It's not hard to see why that'd get in the nerve of his teammates who aren't used to a player acting bigger than the team.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I wouldn't be too quick to write him off... even elite defensemen can occasionally have a bad season (or ~27 games, in this case).

In the early 2000s, Lidstrom was a 60-70 point guy, but then in 2004 he had a weak season and only scored 38 points. He was already 33 years old, so I remember I figured he was probably now on the decline, and his best days were behind him.

Instead, he came back from the 2005 lockout and scored 80 points in 2006, and won 4 more Norris trophies (scoring 60+ points each time).

Karlsson's a 2-time Norris winner (who came close to winning two others), and he's only 28. He may have had a so-so start to the season by his standards, but it's too soon to declare he's no longer an elite defenseman.
Don't bring facts and logic to this conversation. They don't belong. Just repeat tired tripes about how all offensive defensemen are bad at defense despite what all advance stat metrics say.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm not surprised that his shtick isn't flying in a new team that's actually used to winning.

Erik Karlsson has always been a player that gives a lot... and takes a lot. In the long run he contributes much more, obviously, but he's always toying with the line between winning and losing. It's not hard to see why that'd get in the nerve of his teammates who aren't used to a player acting bigger than the team.

Yeah this is pretty much the opposite of the truth. Karlsson’s teammates love him and the comment was literally a joke.

Karlsson’s behavior, both on and off the ice, has not in any way been that of somebody who is “acting bigger than the team.” Literally nobody paying any sort of attention to his time in San Jose would describe his behavior as such.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
So Doughty and Petriangelo having down years but that's ok against Karlsson having a down year? (Btw Doughty with 51 Giveaways but 7 takeaways? Ouch)

Kind of off topic but worth mentioning: Giveaways and Takeaways aren't official stats because its up to the arena's scorekeeper to decide what constitute as either. So if you look at home/away splits you'll see that Doughty has a Giveaway/Takeaway of 39/2 at Staples Center compared to 13/5 everywhere else. The Kings defense combined is 117/9 at home, 62/22 away. Obviously, they're in last place and the numbers are going to look bad, but the discrepancy between the splits suggests that the statistician at Staples records giveaways at a much higher rate and takeaways at a much lower late than officials at other arenas.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Kind of off topic but worth mentioning: Giveaways and Takeaways aren't official stats because its up to the arena's scorekeeper to decide what constitute as either. So if you look at home/away splits you'll see that Doughty has a Giveaway/Takeaway of 39/2 at Staples Center compared to 13/5 everywhere else. The Kings defense combined is 117/9 at home, 62/22 away. Obviously, they're in last place and the numbers are going to look bad, but the discrepancy between the splits suggests that the statistician at Staples records giveaways at a much higher rate and takeaways at a much lower late than officials at other arenas.

not to mention giveaways as a stat usually means who had the puck the most.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yes.

Regardless of what his pundits will tell you, his slow start to his season does not all of a sudden erase his entire body of work before now.
This would be my first reaction. But then, I’m thinking, the question isn’t whether or not Karlsson is still good. I think it’s worth putting together a top ten list. Karlsson May have fallen out. I dunno.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Currently this season? No. He's not playing like a top 5-10 d-man, but is obviously capable of changing that.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Let's ask those who have seen pretty much every single of his games this season.

I have (only) seen about half and my view is that he has been nowhere close to what he was, at his normal level from past years.

Could he get back to his old self? I doubt it, but he can surely play better than he has so far.

His old self is #1 in the world, without a doubt.

The current (so far) is perhaps around 10ish.

Just noticed that his shooting percentage is a whopping 2.1%.

Wow

Last edited:

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
A wreck on the highway. Compared to his former self, that is.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man;
true nobility is being superior to your former self" (Ernest Hemingway).

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
A wreck on the highway. Compared to his former self, that is.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man;
true nobility is being superior to your former self" (Ernest Hemingway).

And what has that quote to do with Karlsson's situation? Answer: nothing. Leave Hemingway alone, thank you.

Karlsson can't be his former self, let alone superior to that, due to injuries which are not his fault. No amount of "personal growth" can fix that.

And no, I don't even think he was ever the best dman in NHL. Top three at some point, yes.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
It's amazing and sad that Karlsson on a agonizingly painful broken foot is that much better than Karlsson on a repaired foot. Another Swedish superstar brought low by a foot.

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
Could be things outside the ice or his role in the team as well that is a factor. Some d-men peak early and fizzle too. Young winners like Leetch and Potvin went of the map fairly early.

Not everyone is as fortunate as Lids and Ray to play almost at prime level around 40.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Wow. I think you’re the one that’s been missing the games. Guy looked horrible defensively tonight. And offensively nothing special. Wrist shot tipped from the point yippee. So overrated. Whatever team gives him 8 or 9 per year is going to regret it.
I want some of what you were on when you watched the game last night. Karlsson was great. Jones and Vlasic were the reason they lost last night.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
hes the best defenceman in the league again imo. not as flashy as he used to be but he makes the right play every time. helps playing on an actual good team where he doesn't have to do everything by himself.

just been dominant defensively.

Karlsson and Timo Meier pretty much carried the team tonight.

Reactions: Phu

ramdm5

Jan 30, 2015
Sweden
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad