Is Erik Karlsson still a top 5-10 dman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt but as soon as you brought up Dahlin, it became pretty clear what your agenda was.

I didn’t specify that at all. I listed over ten players when he asked me something for now and the future and he came back at me with dahlin so I compared them after he did. I shouldn’t have to explain myself since the proof is right there but since you didn’t see it apparently.....he told me he had done way better this year.

Honestly man do you even read the thread before you accuse me of an “agenda” you’ve done this with other players too.

I started a thread I wanted a consensus of and countered back at another guys opinion and suddenly I have an agenda.

Right....

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Perhaps Shore counts but I would still be in favor of Orr being in his own tier. Karlsson would need to first reach Shore's level of domination against his peers, and his level of playing defense. He has not reached either, and isn't close to reaching the other three guys. The other three were dominant, yes, but still there were guys who were very close to them most years, hence not really "unquestionably best".
I don't think anyone was really close to Bourque at his peak or in the mid to late 80's to about 91. He finished 2nd in Hart voting twice (losing to guys named Gretzky and Messier (where he had the same amount of first place votes, more 2nd place votes, but lost due to Messier being on more ballots in the way of 3rd place votes), and won the Norris 4 out of 5 years, one a unanimous win, and one other where he got all but 2. The year he lost he missed 22 games.

I'm not saying Karlsson was in that tier though. I personally don't think he was, although he is probably the front runner for most iconic D-man of the 2010's.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I didn’t specify that at all. I listed over ten players when he asked me something for now and the future and he came back at me with dahlin so I compared them after he did. I shouldn’t have to explain myself since the proof is right there but since you didn’t see it apparently.....he told me he had done way better this year.

Honestly man do you even read the thread before you accuse me of an “agenda” you’ve done this with other players too.

I started a thread I wanted a consensus of and countered back at another guys opinion and suddenly I have an agenda.

Right....

You named 10 defensemen and named one guy who is clearly not on that level for the sake of arguing in favor of him. You wanted to talk about Dahlin, it’s plain as day.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
4 or 5 seasons of being one of the best in the game.

A 30 game slow start and now he's a shell of his former self?

Sounds legit

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Defensemen always take longer to adjust to new teams, systems etc. See McDonagh in Tampa last season. Took him 30 regular season games and 17 playoff games between early disappointment, middling mediocrity and late soudness. Now he's arguably our best defenseman this season. Yes, better than Norris winner Hedman.

Let's see where EK is at after around 40 games with the Sharks.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
You named 10 defensemen and named one guy who is clearly not on that level for the sake of arguing in favor of him. You wanted to talk about Dahlin, it’s plain as day.

Wow man...just wow..so what you’re actually suggesting right now is that I made this thread, and saw someone with my super powers who was going to ask me a question of naming ten defensemen going forward? Just so I could name one guy in that group of ten? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? I mean I could give you the benefit of the doubt if you said “it seems you wanted to mention him” but seeing how your just so sure of yourself with your “it’s as plain as day” I can’t help but laugh because your not even close to right. For some reason you think I’m this troll who posts on the main board just to hype up stars on my team, when infact I actually want to have a conversation about others. I’ve made probably about 100 threads in the 15 years I’ve been here, go see how many had to do with my team. I would even admit before if it was about Eichel or whatever but you’re so wrong here it’s not even funny. The only reason I said his name was I was looking At future guys I would go forward with when he asked me that. You know...the question you’re suggesting I knew he would ask me to set up where I’d mention one guy in a group of ten guys.

When you talk players in threads you create, You’re bound to run into some talk of your own team here and there, that doesent mean that you intentionally started a topic to talk about a certain someone. I mean my god, I barely talk about dahlin and there has been more then enough hype on him. So yeah, you’re just way off on this one ....but everyone makes mistakes. And saying “listing one guy who doesn’t belong” and perhaps you’re using that as the reason you think i did this, I would absolutely take him going forward because of the potential and what’s already there over a guy who’s already had a lot of his great years, so how that doesent belong makes no sense either....you’re not right on this so drop it. Just like I dropped that before. Because I didn’t want to even talk about it, until I was asked....which ya know, was out of my control. I’m sitting here wondering why a guy would come up with something so far fetched and I realized it’s because he’s a shark so this is some kind of defensive thing. No pun intended. Either way it’s comical and one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. Back to the topic ....

Last edited:

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Hmmmm.... I do love Pronger, and his peak was unreal. I can see the case in some ways, but I would still give the nod to Lids, he just controlled so much of the game, he was almost always perfect. Plus those Norris wins, and finishes.

Pronger right up there though, nobody like him in the league right now.

I also loved Pronger physics and him stealing pucks during the finals

There will never be another player as awesome as Pronger

Reactions: DanM

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
He is on pace for 45 pts which isn't too bad, but including the fact that he was never very good defensively I would say no. Not right now at least.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He starts slow every year and generally picks it up after about 20-or-so games. It's not that unbelievable that it might take him a few extra games this year. If he's not at his regular level by mid-season, then it might be time to think about whether or not this is a "bad" season or a one off.

Mid-season next year is when the "Is he still a top X player" become more relevant IMO.

Reactions: psycat

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Oh good grief
Kid and thier "what have you done for me lately"
upload_2018-12-7_8-50-35.jpeg

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Nope. His overall mobility is nowhere near where it used to be before the latest surgery. Add to that his decision making/awareness which has always been a bit of a hit and miss, and you got yourself a guy riding his reputation and pedigree over current actual effectiveness.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Wow man...just wow..so what you’re actually suggesting right now is that I made this thread, and saw someone with my super powers who was going to ask me a question of naming ten defensemen going forward? Just so I could name one guy in that group of ten? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? I mean I could give you the benefit of the doubt if you said “it seems you wanted to mention him” but seeing how your just so sure of yourself with your “it’s as plain as day” I can’t help but laugh because your not even close to right. For some reason you think I’m this troll who posts on the main board just to hype up stars on my team, when infact I actually want to have a conversation about others. I’ve made probably about 100 threads in the 15 years I’ve been here, go see how many had to do with my team. I would even admit before if it was about Eichel or whatever but you’re so wrong here it’s not even funny. The only reason I said his name was I was looking At future guys I would go forward with when he asked me that. You know...the question you’re suggesting I knew he would ask me to set up where I’d mention one guy in a group of ten guys.

When you talk players in threads you create, You’re bound to run into some talk of your own team here and there, that doesent mean that you intentionally started a topic to talk about a certain someone. I mean my god, I barely talk about dahlin and there has been more then enough hype on him. So yeah, you’re just way off on this one ....but everyone makes mistakes. And saying “listing one guy who doesn’t belong” and perhaps you’re using that as the reason you think i did this, I would absolutely take him going forward because of the potential and what’s already there over a guy who’s already had a lot of his great years, so how that doesent belong makes no sense either....you’re not right on this so drop it. Just like I dropped that before. Because I didn’t want to even talk about it, until I was asked....which ya know, was out of my control. I’m sitting here wondering why a guy would come up with something so far fetched and I realized it’s because he’s a shark so this is some kind of defensive thing. No pun intended. Either way it’s comical and one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. Back to the topic ....

Sorry man, this is your shtick. You make threads about players on other teams in order to pump the tires of Sabres players. You do it all the time. If it wasn’t your intention here, then my mistake but you can’t act as if 1. Dahlin belongs and 2. you don’t regularly do this.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Sorry man, this is your shtick. You make threads about players on other teams in order to pump the tires of Sabres players. You do it all the time. If it wasn’t your intention here, then my mistake but you can’t act as if 1. Dahlin belongs and 2. you don’t regularly do this.

You’re right he doesent belong right now and I forgive you since In the past I have done that with other players but yeah totally didn’t even think of him when I made this one.

This was just about ek looks like he played good tonight though despite the L. Watched it on center ice, that was another reason I plan a game I’m gonna watch and I had this one marked down and wanted to know opinions before I viewed it.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
i dont know what the **** hockey you guys are watching but karlsson has been absolutely dominant lately. a beast in all three zones and all situations. Playing as good as anyone.
Wow. I think you’re the one that’s been missing the games. Guy looked horrible defensively tonight. And offensively nothing special. Wrist shot tipped from the point yippee. So overrated. Whatever team gives him 8 or 9 per year is going to regret it.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You’re right he doesent belong right now and I forgive you since In the past I have done that with other players but yeah totally didn’t even think of him when I made this one.

This was just about ek looks like he played good tonight though despite the L. Watched it on center ice, that was another reason I plan a game I’m gonna watch and I had this one marked down and wanted to know opinions before I viewed it.

Yeah he was great tonight but the rest of the team sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad