Is Erik Karlsson still a top 5-10 dman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Did you watch the last time Ottawa was in the playoffs, one goal away from reaching the finals?

Who was the best player in the whole playoffs, on one leg?

Yes he was great in that playoffs but last season and this season is a large sample.

That's also his only significant post season.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Even when he was on the top of his game offensively he still wasn't the guy I wanted for a deep playoff run. He was always a better fantasy guy than NHL guy.

Like I said there are 10 guys I would take before him going forward.

I mean does anyone think he has been better than Burns this season?

Good thing you're not a GM. lol.

Reactions: branch

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Yes he was great in that playoffs but last season and this season is a large sample.

Then how about all the international tournaments hes dominated? Karlsson plays his best and is most valuable when the games mean the most. Anyone stating otherwise is spouting meaningless hyperbole that goes against all the evidence available. You don't have to be 6'4 220 to be a good defenseman in the playoffs.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Let’s make it simple. Can you name ten defencemen who you would rather have over Karlsson?
I came into this thread to argeu that he still is a top 5-10 until I thought about this.

No particular order and thinking about TODAY, not their careers yesterday or tomorrow:

Pietreangelo
Barrie
Girard
Subban
Josi
Burns
Letang
Rielly
Chabot
Giordano
Yandle
Hedman
OEL
Jones
Carlson
Doughty

Damn, EK is top 20 at best IMO at the moment. Sure he could bounce back, but right now looks very bad.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Burns has been better, but that isn't to say Karlsson has been bad. Burns has just been really good so far this year, shades of the year he won the Norris.

Karlsson seems to have largely adjusted to the new team (and the team to him) and is coming on. Based on his recent play, I expect him to have a really strong second half. Having said that, he won't have the latitude in the current system that he did with OTT and he is having to share PP time with Burns, so his production likely won't approach OTT levels.
Exactly. Karlsson lead D-men in points/game last year, on a terrible team. This year, he is adjusting to a new role in a new team, and "only" has 21 points in 33 games, while also shooting only 1.9% while most of the top D-man have inflated Sh% right now.

He also is sporting a 59% CF (+7.7% rel.) and a low PDO.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

You wrote "Even when he was on the top of his game offensively he still wasn't the guy I wanted for a deep playoff run."

You just contradicted yourself, since he was the best player in the playoffs, despite pretty major injury.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
I came into this thread to argeu that he still is a top 5-10 until I thought about this.

No particular order and thinking about TODAY, not their careers yesterday or tomorrow:

Pietreangelo
Barrie
Girard
Subban
Josi
Burns
Letang
Rielly
Chabot
Giordano
Yandle
Hedman
OEL
Jones
Carlson
Doughty

Damn, EK is top 20 at best IMO at the moment. Sure he could bounce back, but right now looks very bad.

Based on what? How many Sharks games this season did you watch? I have to admit I haven’t seen a lot of games from the other guys you listed so who am I to compare, but judging by what EK65 has brought since he has settled in, its more than hard to believe your assessment is anywhere close to being accurate...

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Karlsson has been a beast every post season except the one where he got sliced. And he still put up 8 points in 10 games that year after coming back from injury early.

You don't know shit what you're talking about.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Based on what? How many Sharks games this season did you watch? I have to admit I haven’t seen a lot of games from the other guys you listed so who am I to compare, but judging by what EK65 has brought since he has settled in, its more than hard to believe your assessment is anywhere close to being accurate...
Karlsson is here to put up points. Sure, he may be doing fine defensively, but his numbers are on pace to be down a good 20-30% and on a contract year, that is far from good. The Sharks are a pretty stacked team offensively and him not rolling at the top of the points list there is a massive disappointment for a top 5-10 defenseman and a top 3 on the offensive side.

On the flip side, TODAY, tell my why you would take Karlsson over any of the players I mentioned.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire

Pietreangelo
Barrie
Girard
Subban
Josi
Burns
Letang
Rielly
Chabot
Giordano
Yandle
Hedman
OEL
Jones
Carlson
Doughty

Girard? Really?? Wow some of those names. If the Sens needed to win 1 game right now, I would have them sub out Chabot for Karlsson in about a second personally if they had the option.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

Pietreangelo
Barrie
Girard
Subban
Josi
Burns
Letang
Rielly
Chabot
Giordano
Yandle
Hedman
OEL
Jones
Carlson
Doughty

laughable take

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Pietreangelo (lol)
Barrie (LOL)
Girard (who?)
Subban (possible)
Josi (no.)
Burns (not really)
Letang (lol...)
Rielly (pls stop.)
Chabot (there's a point where this needs to stop and clearly we've passed it)
Giordano (wow.)
Yandle (just wow.)
Hedman (close)
OEL (but no cigar)
Jones (facepalm)
Carlson (bzzt. try again.)
Doughty (declining hard)

oh boy.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Girard is the only one I ll give and that was my homer pick, but I concede he isnt putting up the offensive numbers to compete for a top D title yet...

Esepcially Karlsson who is mostly rated on his offensive output. Every one of those guys is playing better than him right now. Take off the Senators years blinder glasses and look at it logically.

Pietreangelo (Easy yes)
Barrie (13th in the league in D scoring while playing 5 less games)
Girard (concede)
Subban (possible)
Josi (Easy yes)
Burns (Same team playing better and cant see it? Really?!)
Letang (Playing incredible no a pretty bad top heavy Pens team)
Rielly (Top D scorer in the league currently)
Chabot (2nd in D scoring)
Giordano (Arguably would get the Norris if it was voted on today)
Yandle (6th i nthe league in scoring)
Hedman (Best D in the world currently)
OEL (Put him on a decent team and he'd be a Norris candidate every year)
Jones (why facepalm?)
Carlson (3rd in the league is scoring)
Doughty (Still amazing even though his team is a joke)

Outside of Karlssons past, there is no argument for him over any of these guys, especially when he touted as an highly offensive defenseman! Are we rating him based on his defense now? for the first time in his career?

Reactions: 63 others

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Burns has more points but has been absolutely atrocious defensively. At least 4 times worse than Karlsson.

EK65 might spill the spaghetti every once in a while in the Defensive zone, but Burns is flat out blowing coverage on most nights.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Girard is the only one I ll give and that was my homer pick, but I concede he isnt putting up the offensive numbers to compete for a top D title yet...

Esepcially Karlsson who is mostly rated on his offensive output. Every one of those guys is playing better than him right now. Take off the Senators years blinder glasses and look at it logically.

Pietreangelo (Easy yes)
Barrie (13th in the league in D scoring while playing 5 less games)
Girard (concede)
Subban (possible)
Josi (Easy yes)
Burns (Same team playing better and cant see it? Really?!)
Letang (Playing incredible no a pretty bad top heavy Pens team)
Rielly (Top D scorer in the league currently)
Chabot (2nd in D scoring)
Giordano (Arguably would get the Norris if it was voted on today)
Yandle (6th i nthe league in scoring)
Hedman (Best D in the world currently)
OEL (Put him on a decent team and he'd be a Norris candidate every year)
Jones (why facepalm?)
Carlson (3rd in the league is scoring)
Doughty (Still amazing even though his team is a joke)

Outside of Karlssons past, there is no argument for him over any of these guys, especially when he touted as an highly offensive defenseman! Are we rating him based on his defense now? for the first time in his career?

It's clear you're just looking at the NHL stats page lol.

Reactions: CaptainShark

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Pietreangelo
Barrie
Girard
Subban
Josi
Burns
Letang
Rielly
Chabot
Giordano
Yandle
Hedman
OEL
Jones
Carlson
Doughty

I was going to bold some of these names and post a confused looking gif or something, but honestly, pretty much every one of them is a joke.

Reactions: Mattb124 and branch

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Karlsson has been a beast every post season except the one where he got sliced. And he still put up 8 points in 10 games that year after coming back from injury early.

You don't know **** what you're talking about.
If you think that he has been a beast every playoff year except one then there must be literally dozens of them then.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
If you think that he has been a beast every playoff year except one then there must be literally dozens of them then.

Wat

Anyway Karlsson is the definition of a player who reaches another level on the biggest stage.

He was the best player in the Olympics and the best player in the playoffs. And he wasn't just the best, he was historically dominant.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think Keith and Doughty have had stretches of being better than EK. But overall he's been the best Dman post-Lidstrom. Dahlin will be better than EK though IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->