Is Don Cherry Still Relevant?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I don't mind Cherry. I actually listen to him more now with his podcast. To each their own. I find it odd how people are vehemently against the guy. If he offends you, don't listen to him.

I also find it odd how politics are thrown into nearly every damn topic. People need to stop inserting politics into their lives. I don't care whether someone leans left/right, conservative/liberal, I can be friends with you. The moment a conversation someone gets warped into politics, to be frank - it's annoying and shallow.

MoistDadBod

Apr 3, 2017
Down East
...I also find it odd how politics are thrown into nearly every damn topic. People need to stop inserting politics into their lives. I don't care whether someone leans left/right, conservative/liberal, I can be friends with you. The moment a conversation someone gets warped into politics, to be frank - it's annoying and shallow.

Look, I LOVE Don Cherry and I wish he was still on the air but lets be real for a second; Cherry inserted his politics into his broadcasts more than any other NHL commentator by far. So in this case, I have to disagree. It's his own fault.

Fact is he's a Dinosaur when it comes to the game of hockey just as much as he is when it comes to the climate of modern society and in both cases he isn't afraid to if ignorantly bleat about it. But damn is it entertaining and I don't think he is an evil man who means ill. He's just 86 and grew up in a different era.

But the political talk when it comes to him is 100% his fault.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Yea , Cherry and Subban . They both like to parade in front of the camera looking like Kramer from the pimp episode on Seinfeld. :laugh:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Fixxer

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Just idly curious. When he was let go (I can’t even remember what it was over now), I thought he might end up biting Sportsnet in the arse a bit by hanging around on another channel, staying relevant, taking pot shots at his old network etc., but other than hearing about a podcast of some sorts, he seems to have completely disappeared from the hockey world.

Am I wrong on this? Is he still relevant, is he still shaping opinion somewhere, or is he really just off the scene now?

hopefully not, that's the major problem with him ; some people actually believe he's half decent. He should have gotten the boot a decade earlier.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Look, I LOVE Don Cherry and I wish he was still on the air but lets be real for a second; Cherry inserted his politics into his broadcasts more than any other NHL commentator by far. So in this case, I have to disagree. It's his own fault.

Fact is he's a Dinosaur when it comes to the game of hockey just as much as he is when it comes to the climate of modern society and in both cases he isn't afraid to if ignorantly bleat about it. But damn is it entertaining and I don't think he is an evil man who means ill. He's just 86 and grew up in a different era.

Nope. No he isn't. He's always been right more than he's not. And a lot of the tried tested truisms of the game bear him out. Cherry's problem isn't his opinion on the game. His opinion on politics isn't a globalist one and therefore, his views are verboten, especially by interests that predominate much of Western educational institutions. And as such there's almost a biological imperative to stamp out anything resembling Cherry's nationalism.

And it's hilarious, because part of the notion is, he's a dinosaur in so many ways and therefore hates change and diversity, etc, etc...Hilarious because the existential enemy fought in the world wars is now the constant critic parroted on Twitter, Facebook, the news, YT and everywhere else there's "popular" opposition against views like his.

Note, I'm not saying he hasn't been wrong. Who hasn't been? I'm saying, the marketplace of ideas, like cities run by American democrats think he's dangerous and should be silenced and any counter opinion like his should likewise be silenced, irrespective of the extremity of the means that justifies accomplishing the goal.

It's blindness to think modernism vaccinates society against social ills. Remember, utopia is nowhere.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016

Cherry says he was asked by 2 parties, Liberal and (especially) Conservative, to be a politician. I think he never could have been on par with his party. Things would needed to go his way. Imagine the rants on other politicians (even within his party). Also, fighting is not allowed in politics.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Yea the stick in the lane. Don would show the tip into the net, and then 10 similar examples.

Never once showing the highlights from thousands and thousands, where the tip worked for the dman and the goalie and foiled the shot.

It's about the percentages, goalies these days are akmost always gonna stop an unscreened shot from above the circles, rarely even give up an unvontrolled rebound. If the defenceman gets his stick in there and tips it away that doesn't mean anything "worked" if the goalie would have stopped it anyway, all it does is turn a play that's already very low-percentage into one that's not as low-percentage and also takes away any chance for the goalie to send the rebound to a teammate in the corner or to move the play along...even when it "works" it still frequently goes over the glass for a d-zone faceoff and potential loss of possession.

I'm with Cherry on this one, and on most other thing as well, keep the sticks out of the shooting lane on d...and unless you're actually from Toronto Rob Ford was easily the best mayor they ever had so he wasn't wrong on that either, that's what I say. Put that in your pipes!

Reactions: hoglund and PaulD

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think he was frowned upon for many years. The biggest news recently was the final straw with his discrimination which in reality should've happened as early as the early 90's when he mocked gays in a pre-game. The guy got way over his head and full of with himself claiming the dog breed he likes was better than the rest, and how he's the most amazing person ever because he wore suits. He's a much better fit for MTV Cribs than HNIC if you ask me.

Like the dude was so full of himself that he had to have a crappy movie made all about him by CBC. It was more necessary to have Gordie Howe get a movie about him than Don Cherry.

If I have one nice thing to say about him is that I respect how he's been able to be at more Stanley Cup Finals more than anybody without winning one.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Interesting how so many people feel the need to Yell At The Clouds about an elderly man.

Quite ironic how they don't even comprehend how hypocritical they are or maybe just as sad is when they know it but don't care.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's about the percentages, goalies these days are akmost always gonna stop an unscreened shot from above the circles, rarely even give up an unvontrolled rebound. If the defenceman gets his stick in there and tips it away that doesn't mean anything "worked" if the goalie would have stopped it anyway, all it does is turn a play that's already very low-percentage into one that's not as low-percentage and also takes away any chance for the goalie to send the rebound to a teammate in the corner or to move the play along...even when it "works" it still frequently goes over the glass for a d-zone faceoff and potential loss of possession.

I'm with Cherry on this one, and on most other thing as well, keep the sticks out of the shooting lane on d...and unless you're actually from Toronto Rob Ford was easily the best mayor they ever had so he wasn't wrong on that either, that's what I say. Put that in your pipes!
lol ............. Crack pipes for Ford Nation.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think he was frowned upon for many years. The biggest news recently was the final straw with his discrimination which in reality should've happened as early as the early 90's when he mocked gays in a pre-game. The guy got way over his head and full of with himself claiming the dog breed he likes was better than the rest, and how he's the most amazing person ever because he wore suits. He's a much better fit for MTV Cribs than HNIC if you ask me.

Like the dude was so full of himself that he had to have a crappy movie made all about him by CBC. It was more necessary to have Gordie Howe get a movie about him than Don Cherry.

If I have one nice thing to say about him is that I respect how he's been able to be at more Stanley Cup Finals more than anybody without winning one.
His best teams could never beat the Habs.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
and Donald Trump is the best THEY could come up with ! :biglaugh:

"got covid? try some crystal meth into the lungs" :biglaugh:

my cleaning lady paid more taxes in 016 and 017 than Trump did.:laugh:

Is he still on balcony saluting to no one? :laugh:

He should be on Just for Laughs.........he certainly is funnier than Cherry.

Even old Joe can beat this clown.............then turn it over to Harris in two years.
Lol we will see bud ,been all over America and all I see is Trump signs ...Going to so funny to watch the meltdown

Reactions: PaulD

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
No. The platform he had made him relevant. Now that that's gone I never hear anyone say "did you hear what Cherry said".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad