Is Don Cherry Still Relevant?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The point of the question was, which team(s) did beat those Habs with any reasonable grounding to say they were better than Scotty Bowman? Might as well say, the Wings of the 70s couldn't beat Montreal with any regularity and affix it as the conversational bookend. Those Habs are questionably the greatest team to ever play. It's an unfair comparison. And even still, that Cherry won a Jack Adams while those giants skated the NHL is a testament to something approaching monumental accomplishment.

Kudos on your defense of him against indiscriminate hate posted by the other member.
True enough. Canadiens 76, 77, 78, 79. Dynamite!

Reactions: ITM

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Why is "singling out "immigrants" when it comes to the poppy?

Yes, you can look at in the worst possible way as the current media may dictate to you.

However, it is also very inclusive. As in this is what we do so join us.

I'm there with you. My sense is, on one hand you have a push for mass immigration into the west. On the other an apparent doomsday clock on notions based on the decades old population bomb (which went off...) that needs to be addressed. Themes of soft population control saturate the media in the west while immigration en masse is enacted without vote...Seems the two go hand in hand. So being a nationalist is somehow counter-productive for the first era in human history.

Canada has been, is, very, like most western societies, very inclusive. Certainly when compared with elsewhere. But apparently, that's not true, or not enough according to some reason(s) unbeknownst to the public. We're left to infer...

Reactions: Eyeseeing

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
His podcast is in the top 10 hockey podcasts on Apple in a number of countries. It was the most listened to podcast in Canada when it was released for a number of weeks and was a top 20 sports podcast in all of the USA at one point. So it seems there is still an interest in him.

The podcast is closer to his old TV show than the coaches corner segment though so I don't listen to it frequently.

Last edited:
Reactions: KINGS17

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The Cold War taught him to single out immigrants when talking about poppies.

Cool man.
Did you live in his generation??And live through their experiences??Yep his opinion is outdated to pretty much everyone here,but most all of his generation thinks the same way...And knowing this maybe instead of ridiculing him ,we could take the high road and just let it go and change the channel...

Reactions: jasonleaffan

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Dude hasn't been relevant in long time. He's basically a TV hockey analyst version of a shock jock like old school Howard Stern. He's the crazy old relative at family reunions who loudly proclaims outrageous things. You don't want to watch, but you can't take your eye off the trainwreck.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Internet punk thugs still yelling at the clouds trying to make themselves relevant by lamely dishonouring an elder who has no opportunity to defend himself against their attacks. Shameful. :thumbd:
No opportunity to defend himself against their attacks? You mean other than appearing on Fox News, Global News, multiple other news stories, and having his own podcast?

I'm not even totally sure your post is serious because it's so hyperbolic. They didn't kick out Cherry's walker as he was waiting at a bus stop.

Cherry gave them the reason they'd probably been looking for to finally get rid of him. Doing it this way at least some of the people felt it was time and only part of the audience was outraged they got rid of their favorite old racist incomprehensible goofball.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
No opportunity to defend himself against their attacks? You mean other than appearing on Fox News, Global News, multiple other news stories, and having his own podcast?

I'm not even totally sure your post is serious because it's so hyperbolic. They didn't kick out Cherry's walker as he was waiting at a bus stop.

Cherry gave them the reason they'd probably been looking for to finally get rid of him. Doing it this way at least some of the people felt it was time and only part of the audience was outraged they got rid of their favorite old racist incomprehensible goofball.

LOL Playing silly bugger I see. To bad for you. It's pretty obvious what I'm talking about but keep on pretending.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
I'd like to get a little bit personal and onion-on-my-belt sort of story here so bear with me. When I was a little kid growing up we never had a tv but in the summers we would go up to my grandparents' place and they had a big tv so we would rent videos when we went up there. I must have been like seven or eight years old, around that age, and I would always get the National Geographic videos about like, dinosaurs or volcanoes or the one where they were diving down to the Titanic in that robot submersible, and I would always get Rock 'em Sock 'em hockey because hedid an in-depth review of the previous year's playoffs, so that was how I stayed caught up with what was going on in hockey, because other than that I just listened to Canucks games on the radio, and watched the local WHL team, and played street hockey with the neighbourhood kids, read those draft preview issues of The Hockey News, and bought hockey cards at 7-11 with my allowance cause in those days you could get a pack of hockey cards for like eighty-nine cents or something.

So for knowing what was going on in the NHL and actually seeing the players, Don Cherry was my go-to. When I did get a tv I always watched Coaches Corner, the early 90s way of doing the intermissions is the way it "ought" to be in my memory, with the Satellite Hotstove and After 40 Minutes, too. Later on as the quality of the coverage slipped and they had guys like Kypreos and Healy and PJ Stock instead of John Davidson and Dick Irvin, Cherry was reliable, you knew where he was coming from, you knew what you were getting, it was from the heart and he never just said things to say it. If one of those other guys criticized or praised somebody it meant nothing, they'd say something different the next day and everyone knew they were crap anyways. If Cherry praised or criticized someone, it was meaningful because he had that cachet. So, you had to tune in. Watching Coaches Corner was more always more important for me than watching the first period of the Leafs game, and you knew he'd show all the important stuff anyway.

So now we get to the stuff with the people being all touchy about people saying things now. I think Cherry would understand because this is about sending a message. Just like the way you'd send out your toughest guy to take a piece off of the other team's toughest guy, you send a message here by going after Cherry and taking him out. The people who cared about Coaches Corner are the sort people who, according to certain folks, need to just go away. We don't want those sorts of people to exist anymore, they are dinosaurs and old fogies and if they aren't then their views are outmoded and they need to get with the programme. If they are gonna be around then looking forward it's best for everyone if they keep their mouths shut and everyone can ignore them and forget they are out there and go about their business.

Especially in Canada you don't have a lot of people in the public eye acting as a symbol for that sort of point of view; even though he was just a sportscaster Cherry was one of the more prominent people in the country in that regard. Although he only occasionally got political everyone knew what he was about, so taking him down in the way they did it, and for what it was over, sent a message to anyone associated with anything like that: we can get to Cherry, so you'd better believe we can get to you. You'd better not go to the tough areas or you're gonna get blasted. Stick to the perimeter and don't dare crash the net or you'll be next.

The problem with this analogy is that society is not a hockey game. We aren't on two different teams in a zero-sum competitive environment where one side wins and the other loses. This kind of thinking will destroy social cohesion and undermine everything we have. I see the end of Coaches Corner as a sort of canary in the coal-mine as far as the state of communications in contemporary culture. I'll talk about Don Cherry, at some length as you can see. But there is a list of topics I won't talk about, with anyone, and that list is growing fast. Some people think that's a good thing; I don't think it's good but I do think it's how it is and it's going more that way, not less.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Great post, @Smokey McCanucks, but that's why it's important to resist the trend and say clearly: Cherry should not have been fired, Roenick should not have been fired, Milbury should not have been fired, etc. etc.

I say that even though I'm no fan of Cherry, Roenick and Milbury.

Firing them for being low-quality broadcasters, perhaps? By all means!

But firing them for remarks made in jest or in passing? No way!

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
The guy added a little bit of spice into "hockey analysis". Yes, a lot of things he said were controversial and sometimes flat out wrong, but he was entertaining.

I wouldn't say a lot of what he said was particularly controversial. Very little of it was, and imo the stuff that was "controversial" wasn't really all that controversial anyway. The top 3 most controversial things he said were, immigrants "those people" should wear poppies, talking about a guy named Aalpo and sayings "isnt that a dog food" (it is), and saying French guys and Europeans wear visors (they did in a higher proportion when he made the comment). Outside of that he was really pro Canada, pro Ontario, pro cops, and pro service men and women. 90% of what he talked about was completely controversy free and I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of the people who complained about him knew nothing of what he said outside of the reported "controversies".

Reactions: DoyleG and Faterson

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Don is like that old-minded, belligerent and offensive relative at family reunions, and you only tolerate and invite him every year because he's family.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
1:37 - lol We Swedes still can't catch a break with this guy huh. Who just won the Conn Smythe on that very team?

Also, Tampa won because of monster performances by Hedman, two small skilled forwards and the goalie.

That's a really rough listen. And I don't miss comments like that "Swede" one. I found Don entertaining before he totally lost it but I'm sick of his nationalistic schtick.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Does anyone else feel like Cherry (and intermission content in general) was becoming less relevant anyways? I mean these days who the hell sticks around for commercials and terrible commentary on the period you just watched anyways? I just come back in 17 minutes for the next period.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Great post, @Smokey McCanucks, but that's why it's important to resist the trend and say clearly: Cherry should not have been fired, Roenick should not have been fired, Milbury should not have been fired, etc. etc.

I say that even though I'm no fan of Cherry, Roenick and Milbury.

Firing them for being low-quality broadcasters, perhaps? By all means!

But firing them for remarks made in jest or in passing? No way!

Milbury wasn’t fired. He sent himself home after saying something stupid, again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad