Is Don Cherry Still Relevant?

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
He's never shown any racist or xenophobic tendencies, the opposite in fact. He was collateral damage because he was sitting next to Cherry and either had to side with the racism/bigotry or stand up against it. He did the right thing.

He stood up against it?

I 100% agree with your first post and this follow up.

Ron and Don are buddies. Ron knows that he had a job to try to keep Don in check and on point. Ron’s MO is always to apologize after the fact when CCs came under a scrutiny. You could tell the last few years he spoke up more. I don’t believe for a second that his apology were not forced upon him, just trying to keep his job. Sorry, but that’s not my type of person. I don’t blame him at all, mind you, but to paint Ron as a saint and Don as a villain is pretty ridiculous. I don’t believe Ron and Don are very dissimilar, but people act like they’re polar opposite in every facet.

Reactions: ottomaddox

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Don Cherry is nothing more than a political filter at this point.

Haven't watched Coach's Corner in over a decade. CBC ought to be embarrassed Cherry is still part of the conversation.

McLean needs to go next.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His time was up anyway, he was becoming increasingly incoherent and would mispronounce every 2nd player's name.

Dude is 86 years old, retirement was coming on up either way.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I realize HF has banned political discussion, but the reality is that politics permeates everything.

I understand the rationale behind it. It's either gonna work, or it's gonna kill HF.

Because politics permeates everything. It's a fantasy to imagine one can make things apolitical.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe for those obsessed with politics.

Is it fair to say that those who are defending Cherry are obsessed with politics, and therefore ruining HF?

Maybe not. But I hope you see the point I'm trying to make.

HF Mods have a very difficult task. I don't envy them.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Is it fair to say that those who are defending Cherry are obsessed with politics, and therefore ruining HF?

Maybe not. But I hope you see the point I'm trying to make.

HF Mods have a very difficult task. I don't envy them.

Why is it political? There is a difference between politics and ethics.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Why is it political?

Like I said previously, politics permeates everything.

I can't go into greater depth than that without violating HF's "no politics" mandate, lol.

The fact is that all of us who have no desire to run afoul of that mandate are implicitly agreeing to the collaborative fiction that discussions about hockey can be completely divorced from political realities.

That's not how reality operates, but it's a necessity to allow HF to operate. I understand and accept HF's mandate, but I'm not going to pretend that it's how the universe operates.

Edit: You edited your post after I replied to it. That's a bit shady.

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Like I said previously, politics permeates everything.

I can't go into greater depth than that without violating HF's "no politics" mandate, lol.

The fact is that all of us who have no desire to run afoul of that mandate are implicitly agreeing to the collaborative fiction that discussions about hockey can be completely divorced from political realities.

That's not how reality operates, but it's a necessity to allow HF to operate. I understand and accept HF's mandate, but I'm not going to pretend that it's how the universe operates.

Edit: You edited your post after I replied to it. That's a bit shady.

I actually got it in before your post. Notice there is no edit. Tie goes to the OP!

But seriously, sorry if I made you type all of that out if you didn't need to. My bad. My intent was not to be "shady" at all. I'm just a chronic editor.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Should have jsut been given a stern talking to instead of fired. I never liked when he started talking about his opinion on things other than hockey. I don't care what he thinks about poppies or veterans. Stick to hockey. He was pretty amusing when he was talking about hockey.

Reactions: John Price

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Hadn't been relevant for a decade at least. The game passed him by and he couldn't even manage to pronounce simple names. Every first intermission basically just turned into the old man yelling at clouds meme.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Hadn't been relevant for a decade at least. The game passed him by and he couldn't even manage to pronounce simple names. Every first intermission basically just turned into the old man yelling at clouds meme.

Interesting that you mention that because the old man in the meme was grandpa simpson from the simpsons. Grandpa simpson also memorably said, "I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I’m with isn’t 'it' anymore and what’s 'it' seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you!"

Doesn't that say it all right there? Eventually the censors get censored themselves, and the judges judged, you just gotta give it time.

Reactions: The Electrician

Brownies

I like those charaters that seemed to be more common before. Former referee Ron Fournier was a beloved (or sometime hated) radio host who also was a character and who recently retired and who I will miss.

There's a lot of time before, during and after the game for some good analysis. I enjoyed waiting to see what funny suit he was wearing that day and what random subject he decided to ramble about. I'm from Quebec and even after he said a few bad things about us over the years I did not care much, if I want to hear intelligent well formulated opinions I look elsewhere than an hockey game.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaltNPeca

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
His time was up anyway, he was becoming increasingly incoherent and would mispronounce every 2nd player's name.

Dude is 86 years old, retirement was coming on up either way.
Absolutely true, but they did him dirty and reacted late to the Twitter mob. Don Cherry made millions and went out more dignified than the fools that mishandled his last days & continued to sign him up for another season. Whether he really knew it fully or not Don was the clown and Ron was the straight man. It was a schtick. It was entertainment and fodder for us... look how we still write about it!

I despise the cancel culture more than an old worn-out HNIC clown who entertained me for years. I enjoy watching comedians, artists, and entertainers push the boundaries of what is acceptable.

Just this week I learned Twitter is mad that fictional carnivorous Baby Yoda ate fictional frog-alien unfertilized eggs on a Disney+ show. Sadly, this is where we are now.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
Don needed to take a hint that it was time to go. He was going to die on the air if nobody fired him. It’s sad that some people refuse to bow out gracefully instead linger like a bad smell. 86 is too old for any job. Tv, Walmart, Senator... go home

Reactions: El Cohiba

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Absolutely true, but they did him dirty and reacted late to the Twitter mob. Don Cherry made millions and went out more dignified than the fools that mishandled his last days & continued to sign him up for another season. Whether he really knew it fully or not Don was the clown and Ron was the straight man. It was a schtick. It was entertainment and fodder for us... look how we still write about it!

I despise the cancel culture more than an old worn-out HNIC clown who entertained me for years. I enjoy watching comedians, artists, and entertainers push the boundaries of what is acceptable.

Just this week I learned Twitter is mad that fictional carnivorous Baby Yoda ate fictional frog-alien unfertilized eggs on a Disney+ show. Sadly, this is where we are now.

I didn’t know that Twitter was a person.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Don needed to take a hint that it was time to go. He was going to die on the air if nobody fired him. It’s sad that some people refuse to bow out gracefully instead linger like a bad smell. 86 is too old for any job. Tv, Walmart, Senator... go home

That’s age discrimination. It shouldn’t be how old a person is, it should be how effectively they do their job. I knew an old gentleman that was still fixing appliances in his 90’s. Did a great job and he had fun doing it.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
Newsflash that's the entirety of this forum.

Truth is Hockey is better off without Don's old and dumb takes. Idk if he's even racist but he's an old buffoon. I'm glad we no longer have him in the public eye representing the game. Makes the sport seem less like an old boys club and more appealing to new fans
Newsflash to the entire post. I disapprove this more than I disapprove Don Cherry. And I really disapprove Don.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad