Is Don Cherry Still Relevant?

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
He’s an 86-year old man who is completely out of the public eye with the exception of a podcast that nobody listens to.

Verdict: utterly irrelevant

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Jealous much? Not sure why you’re comparing him to a politician. The man did pretty well for himself.

the p***yfication of society is not his fault. Cobra Kai forever!
Don cherry is the canadian trump. Never praised anyone else than north americans

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
He was outdated and it caught up to him. He was still making some valid hockey arguments beyond being xenophobic towards anyone who hadn't adopted Anglo Canadian culture.

Ultimately he remained in a bubble and surrounded himself with upper middle class Anglo Canadians. This is what cost him. Had he made an effort to diversify himself I think he would still be on Coaches Corner.

He just worshipped hockey culture and didn't care to think about anything else. I remember the guy bashing football and saying it has more off field issues and that steroids were rampant. Good old Canadian hockey players were above these things. I guess he never understood most hockey players in the GTHL come from wealthy homes and are 10 steps ahead on most everyone else from a socially - economic standing and being a hockey player had little to do with his theory.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
Cherry being fired has very little to do with political correctness. There's political correctness - which I also despise to the insane degree it drives every question - and then there's Don Cherry. Don Cherry is one reason why PC culture even had room to evolve. If you're that simple minded, abrasive, obnoxious, stubborn, racist, sexist and xenophobic, it comes to a degree of acception most people cannot tolerate.

Cherry's beyond that layer of PC stupidity, he's so much below mediocre he shouldn't have been there to start with. And if there are Canadians who really miss that potato in a random tablecloth suit, I feel sorry for your simple mindedness. He was just that terrible, both as a coach and as a host. He was an absolute joke for decades.

If I would have to side between PC culture and Cherry, I'm sorry to say I would side with PC culture - and I detest PC culture. Cherry is just that much of a relic that promotes everything that is wrong with what PC culture dislikes. I could never side with a moron that gives a strong platform for PC culture to grow, when I hate PC culture.

Don Cherry was a PC battery and was so terrible at his job, even without PC culture he was terrible. And then the big question was how that buffoon could keep his job for so long, with the moronic thoughts he had in his head.

If he would just have spoken about hockey and hockey plays, he could've managed. But he couldn't refrain himself. to keep his mouth shut how much he deeply hates anyone who isn't Canadian, hockey is Canada's game, anyone who isn't a Canadian player is inferior garbage, yadda yadda yadda. What an absolute moron.

And if people miss Cherry spewing this garbage on television, well, you have issues to deal with yourself. Don Cherry is what I would call a Canadian hockey Nazi. And that he's gone is great for hockey. The amount of garbage that has publicly been spread from his foul mouth is ridiculous. That he even was an NHL coach was probably even worse. The accumulated infestation he has caused the sport of hockey deserves nothing but a hall of shame.

That Cherry was on TV for so long speaks lengths of the ancient view Canadian hockey has about itself. It's archaic and extremely behind most other countries when it comes to hockey development. If Canadian hockey had any self awareness, it would still dominate the NHL, but it doesn't, because hockey in Canada is still stuck in the 70s. "If we're the best automatically, why should we change?" Well, it's 50 years later, things have happened.

So, it took this long to get rid of Don Cherry on national television and Canada still hasn't developed a modern, national hockey program.

As someone who also can't stand the PC victim culture I agree with this post. Cherry is what gives the PC victim culture fuel to continue burning. Meanwhile the rest of us moderate types who can't stand either side are left having to pick sides.

Reactions: El Cohiba and PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I miss Coaches Corner and Cherry, big time. So often during the playoffs I would see a defenceman get his stick in the shooting lane and tip the shot, I'd think "oh man Grapes is gonna have something to say about that" and then I'd remember, oh right.

People want to talk about "cancel culture" stuff but I think we all know the real story here is Sportsnet, those crooked Rogers bean counters looked at how much he was making and ginned up this publicity campaign with all the Toronto Star types who never watched or cared about Coaches Corner anyway, cause they can be dependably "outraged" or "offended" about anything like this, but the goal with Rogers is always the bottom line, he made more than any of the other analysts and they wanted him out. I still can't believe people sided with Rogers over Don Cherry, have fun paying your System Access Fees or whatever they call them now, Don Cherry was voted one of the ten greatest Canadians in history and Rogers, well we know what they are.
Yea the stick in the lane. Don would show the tip into the net, and then 10 similar examples.

Never once showing the highlights from thousands and thousands, where the tip worked for the dman and the goalie and foiled the shot.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He had been a huge proponent of the no touch icing rule, that was only implemented recently. So saying he hasn't been relevant in decades is just false.
also translucent netting behind the goals if i'm not mistaken?

Sep 19, 2008
I thought I'd be a frequently listener to the podcast following his exit... I listened to the first one and half of the second.
I listened to most of them until the playoffs started. Don't really listen to many podcasts anymore to be honest, as I'm at home all day and have other things to do with my time now

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Wow, just discovered this thread. He must be pretty relevant if he got a thread that is 8 pages and growing. I will say, I listened to some of his podcasts, but I am disappointed because too much time is taken up by him waxing poetic about days of yore rather than him taking on current events. Without the filter of CBC & Sportsnet I thought he'd now have the green light to speak as unfiltered as possible.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Its funny because the Democrats are going to be the one that puts him there....Joe Biden is the best they could come up with???Lol they practically gave it to him..
and Donald Trump is the best THEY could come up with ! :biglaugh:

"got covid? try some crystal meth into the lungs" :biglaugh:

my cleaning lady paid more taxes in 016 and 017 than Trump did.:laugh:

Is he still on balcony saluting to no one? :laugh:

He should be on Just for Laughs.........he certainly is funnier than Cherry.

Even old Joe can beat this clown.............then turn it over to Harris in two years.

Last edited:

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
Don Cherry was must see tv in his prime but that was 15 years ago. The problem with Don Cherry and Bob Cole is that these guys didn't retire gracefully, they were forced to retire. Bob Cole went out kicking and screaming in his 80's and Don Cherry was on tv until he was 85, enough is enough. That is too old to be on TV. Reminds me when ESPN had Lou Holtz and it sounded like he was talking with marbles in his mouth. When you sound like the grandpa on the Simpsons, you have to go home.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Yea , Cherry and Subban . They both like to parade in front of the camera looking like Kramer from the pimp episode on Seinfeld. :laugh:

I always like that Cherry wanted to dislike PK but he couldn't deny the mans fashion :nod:

Reactions: PaulD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad