Is Darnell Nurse a #1D?

Is Nurse a 1D?

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not even close.

It's not his fault he's paid what he's paid that's on Ken Holland but the fact of the matter is if he was a #1 D man the Oilers aren't losing 11 of 13

That doesn't happen to teams with true #1 D men won't allow it because they are difference makers.

Darnell Nurse is paid like a difference maker but he's not a difference maker.

Take last night for example.

Last night the Edmonton Oilers played the Toronto Maple Leafs a team that going into last night in 3 weeks and holy shit did they look like it.

Going into the 3rd period it was 2-2, the game was up for garbs it was on the line.

Now if Adam Fox or Cale Makar are playing last the Leafs lose that game because they didn't have it last night they were garbage.

The New York Rangers, or Colorado Avalanche, win that game because Toronto were not even close to their best and Fox or Makar would have made them pay for it and won that game because they are difference makers.

Darnell Nurse isn't going to do that he's not going to take that is clearly on the ropes and finish them off.

Darnell Nurse is a good player he can help a lot of teams.

But he's not a difference maker, he's not a #1 guy and that's a problem because he's paid like he is.

Last edited:

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
This isn't how it works at all. Just because every team has to have someone playing in the 1D/C/G spot does not mean that the person currently occupying that spot is worthy of the position or the minutes they get.
Maybe, maybe not. Lot of people do look at it that way. Either way he's fairly solid and is capable of being a 1d. But a lower end one at that. Imo anyway.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
hahaha hell no.

I guess you can consider him a #1 on the Oilers though with how much they paid him.

Reactions: Paul4587

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I think he's a good #2 D-man. He is capable of carrying his own pairing, ideally I would want him carrying the 2nd pairing. He can fill in for #1 but not a true #1D, then again there's very few of those guys out there.

Reactions: King In The North

Mar 26, 2010
He’s a 3-4 D who has the gift of getting to play with McDavid and Draisaitl which has got him paid.
This exactly, and no way he gets this many votes in this poll if it was created today. He would not get any.

Reactions: bsu

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
#2, capable of filling in as a 1 at times. The last 12-14 games have been brutal, but Nurse is not the problem. Don't let the anti-Oiler bias posters on here fool you.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Look at his TOI and the QoC that he plays against. He's in one of the toughest positions in the league and is somehow succeeding in it.

He isn't worth 9.25 million but he most certainly isn't a #3/4 D. I'd comfortably pay him 7-7.5 million a year.

Mar 26, 2010
Look at his TOI and the QoC that he plays against. He's in one of the toughest positions in the league and is somehow succeeding in it.

He isn't worth 9.25 million but he most certainly isn't a #3/4 D. I'd comfortably pay him 7-7.5 million a year.
He is worth $5M AAV. Not much more.

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
He is worth $5M AAV. Not much more.

Where are you getting that from?

He plays the most minutes in the league after Chabot (on a terrible defensive team), and manages to have a positive impact while he's on the ice. (Look at points, shots, chances, etc.)

You can argue that he isn't worth the 9.25 million, but 5 million just makes zero sense.

Mar 26, 2010
Where are you getting that from?

He plays the most minutes in the league after Chabot (on a terrible defensive team), and manages to have a positive impact while he's on the ice. (Look at points, shots, chances, etc.)

You can argue that he isn't worth the 9.25 million, but 5 million just makes zero sense.
He is a #3 at best. He does not defend well and is not great offensively. He is in a tough spot, that Edmonton D is one of the worst in the NHL.

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
He is a #3 at best. He does not defend well and is not great offensively. He is in a tough spot, that Edmonton D is one of the worst in the NHL.

Any way to backup your claims?

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He is definitely top pairing. Unfortunately he is always paired with a third pairing d-man who is not that good defensively. He is also good offensively and scores at a good pace for a d-man who gets little time on the powerplay. One of the worst things I have read on this board about him is that his offense is because of McDavid. Are people expecting him to get points when he is on the ice with the bottom 6 forwards who cannot score or defend and get caved in by the other team most shifts? He creates a lot of offense and rushes the puck up the ice quite well. He has almost as many points as Tyson Barrie in less games and Barrie gets almost all the powerplay time. His ideal contract might be about 1-1.5 million a season less but I am glad he is staying long term on the Oilers and he is the least of the Oilers problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad