Is Darnell Nurse a #1D?

Discussion in 'Polls - (hockey-related only)' started by Llamamoto, Jun 7, 2021.

?

Is Nurse a 1D?

1. Yes

54.0%
  2. No

46.0%
  1. BB06 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Nurse had his 2018-19 Morgan Rielly season.

Regal and TomasHertlsRooster like this.
  2. MessierII Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Why though? Neither have had a season as good as his this year. Nurse brings a rare mix of size, skating, physicality and skill. Very tough for any coach to pass up.

The Moose is Loose likes this.
  3. DecadeofDarkness one of the 99.95%

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    absolutely he is
    -plays monster minutes in all situations
    -brings offense to the table
    -excellent skater
    -mean streak to boot (a nice bonus)

4. DecadeofDarkness one of the 99.95%

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Doughty didn't even make the playoff
    therefore Nurse > Doughty....right?

5. Ainec ainec#5294 money printer go brrr

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Ya nurse is better. Doughty is average

6. OgeeOgelthorpe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Nurse has turned into a legit top pairing defenseman over the last 3 years. I don't think he's a top 10 or top 15 guy but a lower end number one defenseman for sure. Somewhere in the 16-31 range.

7. Voight #winning

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Its not solely based on this year, especially when this year was a bit of a anomaly season. Not saying Nurse wont make it, but theres a lot of competition for the team and plenty to pick from.

8. UnfinishedBusiness The kids are alright.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If Nurse is a #1D then so is Fowler. They are different type of players obviously with their own strengths and weaknesses but I think they impact the game about the same overall.

biturbo19 likes this.
  9. biturbo19 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I find it pretty hard to ignore the role of deployment and linemates in this. He played what, less than 300 of his well over 1000 5v5 minutes without McDavid and/or Draisaitl on the ice? And in those minutes without those two, his numbers take a massive nosedive. Part of that, is just the Oilers depth being so lacking, and there's inevitably going to be drop-off there. But it's still a major factor i'm not willing to overlook. Not when it pretty much squares with my impressions in just watching a million Oilers games (this year, especially). And especially when we're looking at a one kind of wonky, and shortened season sample of Nurse appearing to "break out" in that role.

So no. I wouldn't say he's a true #1D. In the same sense that i absolutely would not have called Christian Ehrhoff a real #1D at his peak, playing those "top volume minutes" on a Cup Contender posting serious points and robust possession numbers - while stapled to the Sedins up front, and the corresponding type of minutes and deployment.

Doesn't mean he's not a great fit for that particular role with the Oilers, and one that they're going to continue to benefit from for a long time to come. Those types of defenceman can be an "engine" of a team on the back end. I'm just not really ready to call that a true #1 Defenceman. Not with reservations from watching him, about how he'd fare outside of that situation, and how much flattery is involved there. For me, a true #1D comes pretty much without qualifications.

10. Regal Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I agree about Morrissey, but his rep seems to be putting him in that conversation. I would certainly take Nurse over him.

snipes likes this.
  11. snipes How cold? I’m ice cold.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Lol

Nurse was the Oilers best player that series.

He had really good underlying numbers are well that series if I recall after looking at Natural Stat Trick following the games, his analytics were really strong.

Not to mention he logged huge minutes, including over 15 out of 20 minutes in one of the OTs. Absolutely unheard of TOI for a single period of play.

There’s plenty of blame to go around for that Oilers loss, but Nurse most definitely is not one that deserves blame for that. He was pretty viewed by HFOil as our consensus best player that series. Even Jets fans were commenting how well he played.