Is Darnell Nurse a #1D?

Is Nurse a 1D?

• Total voters

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Why though? Neither have had a season as good as his this year. Nurse brings a rare mix of size, skating, physicality and skill. Very tough for any coach to pass up.

Its not solely based on this year, especially when this year was a bit of a anomaly season. Not saying Nurse wont make it, but theres a lot of competition for the team and plenty to pick from.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If Nurse is a #1D then so is Fowler. They are different type of players obviously with their own strengths and weaknesses but I think they impact the game about the same overall.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I find it pretty hard to ignore the role of deployment and linemates in this. He played what, less than 300 of his well over 1000 5v5 minutes without McDavid and/or Draisaitl on the ice? And in those minutes without those two, his numbers take a massive nosedive. Part of that, is just the Oilers depth being so lacking, and there's inevitably going to be drop-off there. But it's still a major factor i'm not willing to overlook. Not when it pretty much squares with my impressions in just watching a million Oilers games (this year, especially). And especially when we're looking at a one kind of wonky, and shortened season sample of Nurse appearing to "break out" in that role.

So no. I wouldn't say he's a true #1D. In the same sense that i absolutely would not have called Christian Ehrhoff a real #1D at his peak, playing those "top volume minutes" on a Cup Contender posting serious points and robust possession numbers - while stapled to the Sedins up front, and the corresponding type of minutes and deployment.

Doesn't mean he's not a great fit for that particular role with the Oilers, and one that they're going to continue to benefit from for a long time to come. Those types of defenceman can be an "engine" of a team on the back end. I'm just not really ready to call that a true #1 Defenceman. Not with reservations from watching him, about how he'd fare outside of that situation, and how much flattery is involved there. For me, a true #1D comes pretty much without qualifications.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t disagree with your last sentence.

Morrissey is not even close, he’s always been overrated and Trouba leaving really exposed a lot of his faults. Just ask Jets fans how they feel about him right now.

I agree about Morrissey, but his rep seems to be putting him in that conversation. I would certainly take Nurse over him.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nurse as your #1 d gets you swept by the Jets in a competitive 4 game series

Same jets that gets swept in a non competitive 4 game series by the Habs who will lose in the next round

Lol

Nurse was the Oilers best player that series.

He had really good underlying numbers are well that series if I recall after looking at Natural Stat Trick following the games, his analytics were really strong.

Not to mention he logged huge minutes, including over 15 out of 20 minutes in one of the OTs. Absolutely unheard of TOI for a single period of play.

There’s plenty of blame to go around for that Oilers loss, but Nurse most definitely is not one that deserves blame for that. He was pretty viewed by HFOil as our consensus best player that series. Even Jets fans were commenting how well he played.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
He's still a lower end 1d. Don't think you can find 32 d men that r better. His contract is absolutely shit tho.

Reactions: bh53

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He's on the fringe of it...

... But whoever told Ken Holland he was in the same stratosphere as Werenski, McAvoy, etc... Lol.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Bump. Can't believe how many people got fooled by a Covid season where he shot at an absurd rate.

His goal totals have gone down but he's had a fine season playing insane minutes. He's not even close to the issue with our D.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
He's still a lower end 1d. Don't think you can find 32 d men that r better. His contract is absolutely shit tho.

This isn't how it works at all. Just because every team has to have someone playing in the 1D/C/G spot does not mean that the person currently occupying that spot is worthy of the position or the minutes they get.

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
This isn't how it works at all. Just because every team has to have someone playing in the 1D/C/G spot does not mean that the person currently occupying that spot is worthy of the position or the minutes they get.
Hency why he said lower end 1d. You are confusing elite/norris worthy defenseman with #1 defenseman.

If a defenseman can play the #1 role on a NHL team without being completely out of place/a total liability and actually be tied a 15th in points since 2020-2021, he is worthy of being considered a low end #1D. Even if his contract is bad.

Reactions: SwedishFire

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
He is. Great skating, great athlete, great compete, though. But he is darn expensive.

Hes a keeper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad