Is Darnell Nurse a #1D?

Is Nurse a 1D?

• Total voters

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
This year he was...will be interesting to see if he can continue his performance next season.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If he makes it.

Doughty, Weber, Makar, Chabot, Letang, Girard, Parayko, Pietrangelo, Theodore, Ekblad and Hamilton are all guys who could easily make the team over him.
For left shooting D he is the best right now. He will make it easily. Weber and Letang are too old. Girard is small and doesn’t play as many minutes.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
For left shooting D he is the best right now. He will make it easily. Weber and Letang are too old. Girard is small and doesn’t play as many minutes.

Weber and Letang will most likely make the team. Weber 100%. Team Canada always relies on veterans especially ones who have played for them at the major tournaments. Both are still playing at a high level and bring loads of experience with them.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
If he makes it.

Doughty, Weber, Makar, Chabot, Letang, Girard, Parayko, Pietrangelo, Theodore, Ekblad and Hamilton are all guys who could easily make the team over him.
He’ll likely make it due to handedness, for some reason most of the Canadian elite dmen shoot right.

He’s ahead of Chabot, Girard, Theodore, Reilly currently. I agree Makar, Pietrangelo, Ekblad are probably ahead, with Hamilton Letang being at a similar level but Canada’s coach isn’t going to want 6 right handed guys for a dcore. I think it’s extremely likely he makes the team.

Reactions: MessierII

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Nurse as your #1 d gets you swept by the Jets in a competitive 4 game series

Same jets that gets swept in a non competitive 4 game series by the Habs who will lose in the next round

Reactions: Voight

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Nate Schmidt lol
Schmidt is better than Nurse? Nurse had more goals than Schmidt had points, and it’s not like Schmidt is some defensive stalwart, he along with the other Canucks dmen got caved in this year.

I’m extremely confident most people would take Nurse over Schmidt

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

Same jets that gets swept in a non competitive 4 game series by the Habs who will lose in the next round
You’re just proving your opinion is uneducated. Oilers had a lot of problems in the playoffs but Nurse wasn’t it. He played well in the Jets series despite of his partners weak defensive games. He played massive minutes in every game, he was probably the Oilers best player.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He’ll likely make it due to handedness, for some reason most of the Canadian elite dmen shoot right.

He’s ahead of Chabot, Girard, Theodore, Reilly currently. I agree Makar, Pietrangelo, Ekblad are probably ahead, with Hamilton Letang being at a similar level but Canada’s coach isn’t going to want 6 right handed guys for a dcore. I think it’s extremely likely he makes the team.

If Canada was smart

Toews Makar
Theodore Pulock
Chychrun Spurgeon
Ekblad

But Doughty and Weber somehow makes it on

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
You’re just proving your opinion is uneducated. Oilers had a lot of problems in the playoffs but Nurse wasn’t it. He played well in the Jets series despite of his partners weak defensive games. He played massive minutes in every game, he was probably the Oilers best player.

Which is a problem. Remaining teams #1 d

Hedman (nurse is probably better than an injured Hedman)
Theodore
Makar
Pulock/Pelech
Petry (injured)

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Schmidt is better than Nurse? Nurse had more goals than Schmidt had points, and it’s not like Schmidt is some defensive stalwart, he along with the other Canucks dmen got caved in this year.

I’m extremely confident most people would take Nurse over Schmidt

Most gms too. I'd take Nurse over Schmidt as well. Much more value and potential. Talking about a league that will pay Seth Jones at least 8.5m a year.

Still a valid post because I can see Schmidt excel on the Oilers in that role. Look at Barrie.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
If Canada was smart

Toews Makar
Theodore Pulock
Chychrun Spurgeon
Ekblad

But Doughty and Weber somehow makes it on
Again these opinions make 0 sense.
Pulock and Toews don’t have a chance to make team Canada. Spurgeon likely doesn’t even make the team due to the right handed depth in front of him.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Again these opinions make 0 sense.
Pulock and Toews don’t have a chance to make team Canada. Spurgeon likely doesn’t even make the team due to the right handed depth in front of him.

So basically Nurse has 0 chance and doesn't belong on Team Canada then. Those are better dmen

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
So basically Nurse has 0 chance and doesn't belong on Team Canada then. Those are better dmen
They aren’t.

But I’m not going to waste my time trying to convince you of that fact since you seem to have already formulated your opinion.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I guess McDavid isn’t a 1C.

McDavid as your 1C gets you swept by the jets.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I guess McDavid isn’t a 1C.

McDavid as your 1C gets you swept by the jets.

McDavid and Draisaitl gets you the opportunity to be swept by the Jets that got swept by the Habs

Rest of the team is Sabres level

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
I admit this season he substantially improved, but I'm also not willing to discount the effect McDavid/Draisaitl had on his scoring. I don't think it's a coincidence that Edmonton had the highest point getting defenceman in Barrie and the 2nd highest goal scoring defenceman in Nurse, neither of whom were particularly close to the top of league scoring any other year.

Not that I'm saying I have much evidence supporting my position. I just hope they pay Nurse like the top 10 D their fans seem to think he is.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Based on the way he played this year, I’d love to hear someone explain to me why Darnell Nurse isn’t a top 30 defenseman

Amongst defensemen: 2nd goals, 1st in 5v5 goals, 12th in points, 2nd in 5v5 points, 5th in +/-, 4th in minutes per game, and solid defensive metrics despite having weak 2-way partners (Barrie and Bear) being stapled to his hip. All while bringing the intangibles like physicality, shot blocking, and a willingness to drop the gloves.

Nurse is a top 30 defenseman, and a #1Dman for sure. People who claim otherwise obviously didn’t watch Nurse this year, he has grown significantly in terms of hockey IQ and situational awareness.

care to provide these metrics?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I admit this season he substantially improved, but I'm also not willing to discount the effect McDavid/Draisaitl had on his scoring. I don't think it's a coincidence that Edmonton had the highest point getting defenceman in Barrie and the 2nd highest goal scoring defenceman in Nurse, neither of whom were particularly close to the top of league scoring any other year.

Not that I'm saying I have much evidence supporting my position. I just hope they pay Nurse like the top 10 D their fans seem to think he is.
Nurse has played with McDrai his entire career.. He himself took a big step forward this year

His 5 on 5 production was very good but it's his defensive game that's mainly made him noticable

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

He wasn't better than Theodore this year and hasn't been in the past, and while he was better than Chabot and Rielly this year, they've been better the past couple. There's also Chychurn and Morrissey. Remember when Leaf fans thought Rielly was a team Canada lock after his 72 point season? He's in the mix but I really don't see how he has a leg up on the other top lefties. It'll depend highly on how they do next year.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
He wasn't better than Theodore this year and hasn't been in the past, and while he was better than Chabot and Rielly this year, they've been better the past couple. There's also Chychurn and Morrissey. Remember when Leaf fans thought Rielly was a team Canada lock after his 72 point season? He's in the mix but I really don't see how he has a leg up on the other top lefties. It'll depend highly on how they do next year.
I don’t disagree with your last sentence.

Morrissey is not even close, he’s always been overrated and Trouba leaving really exposed a lot of his faults. Just ask Jets fans how they feel about him right now.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Chabot and Theodore are certainly ahead of him. Hes probably on par with Girard and Rielly.

Anyways. He is far from a lock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad