Is Darnell Nurse a #1D?

Is Nurse a 1D?

• Total voters

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
As I said I don't agree, if you don't like it too bad for you.
It's not too bad for me because I don't care one way or another. But you as an Oilers fan have to hope he gets better. Because if he's your main guy on D then the whole group need to upgrade.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
It's not too bad for me because I don't care one way or another. But you as an Oilers fan have to hope he gets better. Because if he's your main guy on D then the whole group need to upgrade.
No. I criticize the Oilers and players on the Oilers all the time, go look at my posts. Previous to the last 2 seasons I even criticized Nurse's play at times. I even said after their 9-1 start they were not playing that well and no one should get excited, it is too early. I can be completely objective on the Oilers and their players. Just because I disagree with you has nothing to do with being an Oilers fan or not. If you think I am wrong that is fine, you won't change my mind and I will not change yours.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Tough to argue that he isn't in the league's top 32. He's top 32 in points and 5v5 possession and plays a tonne of minutes.

So he's at worst a lower end #1, but if you evenly redistributed top dmen from across the league he'd be in the first round of placements.

Reactions: stl76

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Tough to argue that he isn't in the league's top 32. He's top 32 in points and 5v5 possession and plays a tonne of minutes.

So he's at worst a lower end #1, but if you evenly redistributed top dmen from across the league he'd be in the first round of placements.

He would be chosen in the end tho

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
He would be chosen in the end tho

That is a distinction between a better #1 defenceman and a worse #1 defenceman. Not every #1 dman is a two-way superstar - those are just the really really good ones

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Hes definitely not elite or worth that contract but some of the responses are going way too far. #3-4? That's ridiculous.

At worst he's a good top pairing defenseman/#2. Everyone knows the problem is he's paid like a high end #1, he just doesn't have that kind of impact on a team

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I still don't agree with the first 32D are the best D in the league. Just like the first 32G's in the league aren't all superstars. Boston has 3G's better than every goalie on the Oilers. Arizona has starters but you'd be hard pressed to convince me they are the better than some teams backups.

As a simple example... that would eliminate one of the Top D from the Avs. It is very possible that several teams in the NHL do not have a primo number 1 and some teams have more than one. Eg. last year, the leading goal scorer and minutes guy for Detroit was Filip Hronek. Led the entire team in points and minutes. I love Hronek and he's the best Czech defender but I don't think he's a #1D in the NHL. I'm fairly certain Seider will pass him soon and never look back. Even if you believe Seider is better today (and he very well maybe).. is Seider top 32 today because he is the 1 in Detroit? Is the 1 in Arizona better than the 2 in Colorado? Is the 1 in Buffalo better than the 2 in Vegas?

The list for minutes and the list for points don't have many guys in common.

Here is top 10 by minutes:

upload_2022-1-8_14-10-1.png

Here are top 10 by points

upload_2022-1-8_14-11-16.png

Only 2 guys (Hedman and Letang) on both lists. For scoring, TDA is higher than Slavin on the Canes. Which one do you want? Barrie outscored Nurse last season on the Oil.. which one do you want?

Basically, my stance hasn't changed.. Nurse would be a 2 on a Stanley Cup team. He is top pair for sure. He is excellent for sure. I don't have him up there with the Makars, Hedman's, Slavins of the world though and I dont' feel there are 32 guys in the NHL that are the top tier. I'd say the top tier is about 10 guys. Nurse is in the second tier. No way he walks on the Avs and gets 26 minutes a night.. or the Bolts.. or the Canes.. or the Knights. His minutes are a reflection of his shitty GM and a weak D core.

9 Mill for him next year will also make him a whipping boy in Edmonton but people won't believe that till next Xmas.lol

If he were a forward he'd be Pastrnak and not Drai.

Reactions: stl76

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad