Is Colorado really that far off from being Edmonton?

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
2010 Hall = Seguin

Am I the only one who disagrees with the above? IMO Seguin>>>Hall.

EDM is not comparable to the Avs at all, many of which have been covered:
- Avs made the playoffs multiple times or have been an ok team some years, EDM has been a dumpster fire since it's cup run in 2006
- EDM had 3 consecutive #1 overall picks...how you don't draft a D man with at least one of those is beyond stupid
- Avs have a legit #1 Vezina nominated goalie, where as EDM has 2 backups battling it out
- Do I really need to elaborate on the Mickey Mouse management EDM has. In one of the pressers didn't Lowe or MacTavish blame recent lack of success on it being a trickle down effect of the 80s dynasty 30 ****ING YEARS AGO?!

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
More "watch the games nerd" comments?

It is amazing what you have access to as a Rogers customer...

You know, like gamecenter.

Despite what some Avs fans here believe other fans do watch Avs games. I like Duchene, great player.

Varly had a good stretch this year but no where near his performance last year. He is a great PK goalie though.

Varlys been injured all season hes been just fine when hes actually played.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
And what do you call the mediocre job the Avs have done. One year of making the playoffs and all of the other mistakes and soon to be mistakes are forgiven?

And who said Petry is better than EJ..?

What do I call it? A hell of a lot better than what the Oilers are doing. At least the Avs have made the playoffs twice in the past 6 years.

And there were Oiler fans who argued that Petry was better than EJ. One Edmonton fan in particular, Eskimo44, spent a lot of time arguing Petry was as good or better than EJ. I think he said Smid was as well. Good times.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
I think some people were waiting for an eventual demise by the Colorado Avalanche this year. According to fancy stats and all it was inevitable. Fair enough. I expected a bit of a fall for sure.

But to not take into account the man games lost to injury so far, which the Avs are one of the tops in the league, and losing their 2nd line centre to FA for 7 million dollars, the fall has been worse than expected.

There were going to be growing pains no doubt, MacKinnon has looked lost in his own zone being 2nd C this year. He'll get out of it once he learns to be smarter and safer with the puck when there are 2 to 3 forecheckers on him.

The forwards finally look like they're finding some consistency and chemistry. I hope when Mitchell, Stuart, Bordeleau and Winchester are back and healthy they can stay healthy. And when Varlamov gets back he will get some help defensively. Losing McGinn for the rest of the year isn't helpful.

I'm not worried.

Saying that the Avs organization is in such a state of disrupt as the Oilers is laughable though. Even at Colorado's worst in the past 6 years, they were at least on par with the Oilers.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I think some people were waiting for an eventual demise by the Colorado Avalanche this year. According to fancy stats and all it was inevitable. Fair enough. I expected a bit of a fall for sure.

But to not take into account the man games lost to injury so far, which the Avs are one of the tops in the league, and losing their 2nd line centre to FA for 7 million dollars, the fall has been worse than expected.

There were going to be growing pains no doubt, MacKinnon has looked lost in his own zone being 2nd C this year. He'll get out of it once he learns to be smarter and safer with the puck when there are 2 to 3 forecheckers on him.

The forwards finally look like they're finding some consistency and chemistry. I hope when Mitchell, Stuart, Bordeleau and Winchester are back and healthy they can stay healthy. And when Varlamov gets back he will get some help defensively. Losing McGinn for the rest of the year isn't helpful.

I'm not worried.

Saying that the Avs organization is in such a state of disrupt as the Oilers is laughable though. Even at Colorado's worst in the past 6 years, they were at least on par with the Oilers.
Precisely. People love having something to hate and talk **** on, as well as being able to dub themselves experts and say "I told you so" and "I predicted that...".

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The avs have a really good top 6, much better than the Oilers. Their D is questionable, as with the Oilers, but having Varlamov puts them over the top.

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
Avs finishes the last 6 years: 28, 14, 29, 19, 29, 3.
Oilers finishes the last 6 years. 21, 30, 30, 29, 24, 28.

While the Avs clearly haven't been good either, in that time they've turned over their coaching and management group and made trades for a starting goalie and top pairing dman. There are also two playoff appearances during that time. While they're pretty bipolar with the way they drop down to lottery level every year, they're at least trying to improve and they typically play hard (other than the first part of this season).

This.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
The big difference is that they are trending up, strongly, and do not look to be a bottom 10 this season. In fact, they should be top 5-8.

That's a big difference, the Avs are right back at the bottom and could pick top 3 for the 4th time in 7 years unless they turn things around.

The irony in this comment is outstanding.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Do people remember the Avs winning the Central Division last season?

Also, The Avs traded for EJ and Varly. The Oilers have sat on their hands and waited for for things to fall into place. The Avs are further ahead than the Oilers.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Do people remember the Avs winning the Central Division last season?

Also, The Avs traded for EJ and Varly. The Oilers have sat on their hands and waited for for things to fall into place. The Avs are further ahead than the Oilers.

And this season they are currently dead last in the Central division

It's amazing when a hot goalie goes back to his usual average and injury prone self.

nwaZ*

They are nowhere near the Oilers level. The reason? Oiler management. Regardless of talent, that group in Edmonton is horrible. Colorado's is nowhere near that bad.

What has Sakic done to show that he is any great?

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
We can all agree that they have a better top 6 for D, and I prefer their forward depth and goaltending.

However, I don't think there is as large as a gap in reality than we may think. They've drafted 1st, 2nd or 3rd overall in 3 of the last 6 drafts. This year, they could draft within 1 or 2 spots of Edmonton again.

Edmonton has not climbed out of the basement at all, but Colorado seems to be a team that is given a free pass, even though they have been in the lottery %50 of the time over the last 6 years.

Florida and Tampa Bay are the only two teams other than Edmonton that have seen recurring picks in the top 3 over the last 6 years.

Colorado is a major disappointment its a wonder Roy gets a free pass.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think Colorado does get **** on quite a bit on here. Not as much as the Oilers, because they can turn it around almost every other season, but last year all the discussion was about how unsustainable they were, and how long till the fall back down to Earth. Now that that has happened everyone gets to say I told you so. But being able to be good makes them >>>Oilers

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
Like a lot of your posts, the logic really isn't there.

Avs have been on every available defenseman this season. Even effin Brooks Orpik who wanted to stay in the East, Niskanen who overpriced himself out of Avs comfort range, Stralman who also wanted to stay in the East, Leddy, and Boychuk.

Also lol at Oilers defense better than the Avs, not one player I would want to touch on that team except Nurse in the system.

Avs also bid on Parise and Suter in 2012.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Aves have a slightly better roaster but more importantly have a much more competent coaching and management staff.l (though they still do dumb things, like letting Stantsy go)

In reality the two teams aren't all that far apart - if the Oilers had a semi competent front office, they'd be pretty close.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Avs are in a lot better position then the Oilers. Better coach, better management, and better roster. Avs have the better centers. Avs have the better defensemen(At the top anyway. Geunin and Holden are as bad as any defender on the Oilers). Not only the better goalie but even Pickard is looking better then the Oilers goalies.

Also made playoffs more then Oilers as well. Players actually want to come here instead of Edmonton. It's been a weird season where we are seeing our top players playing underwhelming and Varlamov having an injury problem for the 1st time in 4 seasons. Plus the whole top in man games lost but whatever.

Edmonton are in their own league of complete crap. They haven't shown any sort of promise apart from getting a shiny new toy in the draft every year.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I feel like this actually makes me feel more like they are close to Edmonton. That 3rd looks a little flukey.

I hope they make the playoffs personally, a lot of young players on that team that I like, I will just be amazed if they draft top 5 again and people blow it off. They are closer to Florida and Edmonton than I've ever really considered.

It was a complete fluke. Everything that could go right, did go right for them last season. Ridiculous off the charts goaltending was the only reason they were where they were. Take that away and you get a team that is slightly better than EDM and not a playoff team. They did at least change up their management, so that is something EDM still hasn't done.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Always fun to see armchair experts blaming our goaltending for our current place and not our core forwards awful seasons. Dropping from 4th in the NHL to 21st in goals per game is why we are where we are, not because Varly has been battling injuries, a problem he hasn't had with the avs previously.

The Aves have a slightly better roaster but more importantly have a much more competent coaching and management staff.l (though they still do dumb things, like letting Stantsy go)

In reality the two teams aren't all that far apart - if the Oilers had a semi competent front office, they'd be pretty close.

They did everything they could to keep stastny, he wanted to go to the Blues. Once that became clear they got the best forward on the market to somewhat replace him and they're adjusting while MacK learns to Center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad