Is Bernier an elite goaltender?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Elite goaltender isn't a strong enough description for Bernier. I would say that he is the Nelson Mandela of NHL goalies

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
IMO any goalie who's capable of putting up ~.920+ save percentage on a season to season basis, is an elite goalie. Bernier had a .923 save% last season, and .918% right now. If he can do ~.920+ % this season and next, he should be considered elite

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Except 20 other people made the joke already and their posts were deleted. See post 52.

People are going to be making these jokes forever. That is one of the funniest things I have ever seen a pro athlete say.

When Bernier retires people are going to be bringing that up.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'd say he's an average starter at this point. He certainly has the talent to be elite, though.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
he's not elite today.

he's a really good goalie that has the potential to be an elite goalie in the future. if he continues his upward trend and helps the leafs get into the playoffs and do some damage there, then yea he will be elite.

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
No

Firstly, let's wait till and if he actually stars 60+ games this year

Can't be elite only playing 2/3 of the games

I believe he has elite skill and fundamentals, but hes just not big enough

3 more inches and he would be elite

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Also, an average goalie can still put up elite performances, getting his team points they didn't deserve. These are two different things. It's like weather and climate change. Because there's one day in december that's way colder than usual doesn't disprove the fact that the global climate is warming up.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Price has just recently entered the elite conversation. He has had a few rough years where he dipped below .910. No one was calling him elite at that point. In fact, there was a time where there was a debate between trading Price or Halak.

Quick's story is very similar. He has put up much better numbers in the past few years (minus the shortened season and 2013-2014 wasn't so great).

They key things with those guys is that, at some point in recent history, they have put up elite numbers. Bernier has not. His career sv% was used to show that he's right about where he has been in his career.

Berniers .923 last year is impressive but it takes more than 1 season to be elite.
I would look more into Bernier's record with Toronto. If you can take away Price's bad years, you should take away Bernier's as well. What I'm trying to say that basing a goaltender elite status on sv % is not always the best as you have potential elite goaltenders who played less games that have a similiar sv % to proven elite goaltenders. I agree with your last line.
I get that but the question isn't "Is Bernier good?" Everyone knows he's a good goalie.
I know that but the point of the poster whom I was replying to was different. I was trying to show him that our goal tending has been good and how one bad game affected his stats a bit.
Those are all qualities of an athlete.

[MOD]
I'm saying that's more of his style. Every goalie has a different style and that fits his game more.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Also, an average goalie can still put up elite performances, getting his team points they didn't deserve. These are two different things. It's like weather and climate change. Because there's one day in december that's way colder than usual doesn't disprove the fact that the global climate is warming up.

Yes and an average goaltender can also put up multiple bad performances. That's what separates them from the best.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He has the potential (and was for the most part last season), but I'd like to see him play a full season (at least ~60+ games) before I group him in the "elite" category. He has elite IQ and is technically flawless but is a small goaltender who is not all that athletic.

Yeah...no he doesnt.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Question 1:
Are Leafs any good?
HFBoards: No, they are getting elite goaltending.

Question 2:
Is Bernier elite?
HFBoards: Hell no!

Lol :laugh:

Well according to Leaf fans Gardiner = future Norris trophy winner, Tyler Bozak = Tavares, Reimer = Optimus Reim top 10 goaltender, Kessel >>> Kane etc etc

Well according to HFboard posters, Leaf fans are entirely different creatures that, once they decide the leafs are a good team to cheer for, suddenly develop a disease in there head that causes them to think irrationally and make up stories about Leaf players being gods among men.

Please describe the average leaf fan to me and I'll tell you a more hilarious description about the average HFboard poster's description about the average leaf fan.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad