Is Bernier an elite goaltender?

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
Haha elite goalies play 70 games a season and win a vezina. Bernier has yet to do both.

Lets just see if he can handle 70 games a season, I dont think he does. I see 60 in him tops.

torlev*

Haha elite goalies play 70 games a season and win a vezina. Bernier has yet to do both.

Lets just see if he can handle 70 games a season, I dont think he does. I see 60 in him tops.

Did the Vezina not get awarded last year?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Elite for me is something that has to be demonstrated with consistency across a number of seasons.

It may be harsh, but I've seen too many flash-in-the-pan performances (Raycroft, Carey, Mason, etc.) to apply the moniker to anyone who has put up a decent season and a half.

Sounds like Anderson two years ago.

Indeed, another under rated goalie. Anderson is a great goalie yet you never see his name brought up when talking about the best, probably because of his age, which means nothing to goalies.

FoppaForsberg*

He never has been so far. He's solid but inconsistent. Has the talent to one day get there though.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
That's because of the nashville game (where the leafs allowed 9 goals). Take that game away and their SV % is:

Bernier: .923 sv % and Reimer: .922 sv %

Goaltenders have done their job. It doesn't seem like it because the leafs have been scoring a lot.

Lol, you can't just take away stats to benefit your argument. That game did happen, why should we ignore it.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Obvious answer. Can't believe there is debate in here.
Bernier obviously can not be considered an elite goalie. #1 goalie? yup
Has the potential to be elite but he lets in too many soft goals.
...but he is a goalie who can come in and win games for his team night in and night out, although sometimes I think he plays just as good as he needs to to get the win

torlev*

...Yes it went to Rask.

Apparently that went over your head. Let me spell it out for you.

He said the Vezina only goes to goalies that play over 70 games.

Not a single goalie did that last year.

It's the way the NHL seems to be trending. The average number of games that starters play is dropping. It used to be (10 or 15 years ago) lots of them started 70+ games, and most starters would start 60. Now, the average is closer to 50 or 55.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Lol, you can't just take away stats to benefit your argument. That game did happen, why should we ignore it.

You don't get the point do you? I'm trying to save the his .750 sv % is an anomaly that affect his sv %. You can't take it away obviously, but my point was that in series of great games, you are going to have that one horrible game that affects your sv %. If you look at Bernier's last ten games, he had 7 out of 10 excellent games, but because of that Nashville game, and when people look at his sv % and they think that his play recently was average, which was what I was trying to say to the poster whom I was replying too.

Oct 18, 2011
10392553_10155012007055201_2598300458828534506_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad