Is Bernier an elite goaltender?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
HfBoards is very ironic. In almost every thread you'll see "The Leafs suck, they just rely on elite goaltending to win games".

Yet, no one considers Bernier a top goaltender when they're constructing their goaltending lists. So which is it, either Bernier (or Reimer) is elite, or the Leafs simply aren't relying on elite goaltending as much as the other teams...

If the defence is as bad as HfBoards claims, and the team is horrific. Why isn't Bernier an elite goaltender for doing what he does with that team in front of him?

JimmyChan9191

Feb 9, 2014
He has the potential (and was for the most part last season), but I'd like to see him play a full season (at least ~60+ games) before I group him in the "elite" category. He has elite IQ and is technically flawless but is a small goaltender who is not all that athletic.

eklunds source

Jul 23, 2008
Ed Snider's basement
Solid and above average but not elite. His career 5v5 sv% is VERY comparable to Halak, Price, Howard, Reimer, Crawford, and Bryzgalov (which should identify for you how Price is not elite either, but that's a whole different can of worms)...

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
He has the potential (and was for the most part last season), but I'd like to see him play a full season (at least ~60+ games) before I group him in the "elite" category. He has elite IQ and is technically flawless but is a small goaltender who is not all that athletic.

He's not atheltic because he doesn't rely on it to make saves. He's more of a positional goaltender, that relies on his skills, reflexes and ability to read the play to make saves. He can actually be pretty athletic when he's making a desperation save, but it's not a part of his game.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
The Hypocrisy of HF when it comes to the Leafs is laughable.

As for the OP, Bernier needs to play far more to be considered elite.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Solid and above average but not elite. His career 5v5 sv% is VERY comparable to Halak, Price, Howard, Reimer, Crawford, and Bryzgalov (which should identify for you how Price is not elite either, but that's a whole different can of worms)...

If you go back three seasons ago when he broke out in LA, his sv % is 8th overall with .922, and 4th in goaltender playing 80 + games.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He has had 1 season as a teams #1 goaltender. He has the potential to be elite. Just let him play.

Notice how the "elite" goaltenders are the ones who have done it year after year? Let Bernier play and become that.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
No. hes simply a goaltender on a hot streak.

but an above average starter...not like we in Edmonton know anything about good goalies...:(

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Hes a good goalie.

Until the Leafs lose 10 of 12 in January, which will cause the "Gardiner and Bernier for an established #1 goalie" threads to surface.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Um, no....
He's really good, but not elite. "Elite" is not a word that should be tossed around. It should be reserved for those who truly are.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
He has had 1 season as a teams #1 goaltender. He has the potential to be elite. Just let him play.

Notice how the "elite" goaltenders are the ones who have done it year after year? Let Bernier play and become that.

Agree. He's not elite until he proves that he can put up numbers for more than one year.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

My argument in regards to save percentage is that save percentage is reflective of the team you play for. The better defensive team you have, the better save percentage you will have. Look at Ben Scrivens in LA versus Ben Scrivens in Edmonton. You put any goalie on a solid defensive team and his save percentage will increase, you put them on a terrible team that plays wide open hockey and allows a lot of breakaways/open men in front of the net, and the save percentage will drop.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
Bernier is sporting a .918SV%, Reimer a .908.

Good but hardly world-beating. Anybody that thinks this year's Leafs team is being carried by goaltending hasn't been paying much attention. Goaltending is definitely a strength of the Leafs but I'd say having the 2nd most potent offense in the league so far has more to do with their success. Maybe that's just me though.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
A few years back before the kings won their first cup I recall he was one of their top goalie prospects, I recall forums back then saying his potential cap was higher than Quick.

How things change.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Bernier is sporting a .918SV%, Reimer a .908.

Good but hardly world-beating. Anybody that thinks this year's Leafs team is being carried by goaltending hasn't been paying much attention. Goaltending is definitely a strength of the Leafs but I'd say having the 2nd most potent offense in the league so far has more to do with their success. Maybe that's just me though.

That's because of the nashville game (where the leafs allowed 9 goals). Take that game away and their SV % is:

Bernier: .923 sv % and Reimer: .922 sv %

Goaltenders have done their job. It doesn't seem like it because the leafs have been scoring a lot.

Captain Mittens*

A few years back before the kings won their first cup I recall he was one of their top goalie prospects, I recall forums back then saying his potential cap was higher than Quick.

How things change.

Depending on what year it was....Quick did get better. He really broke out in 2011, but most of hockey didn't notice until the playoff run of 2012

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Elite goalie = top 5, for at least 3 consecutive years.

Currently elite goalies: Lundqvist, Rinne, Rask

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal

How things change.

what's changed? the potential is still there. the difference between now and then is that he used to play behind a competent defense corp and now he doesnt. look at goalies like Bryz...he put up stellar numbers under Tippett's system in PHX, then he went to Philly (a team with a similar defense to that of Toronto's) and he completely **** the bed. Bernier is actually doing quite well despite his lackluster support on D. put any other 'elite' goaltender in his position and I highly doubt they'd maintain their career averages

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
what's changed? the potential is still there. the difference between now and then is that he used to play behind a competent defense corp and now he doesnt. look at goalies like Bryz...he put up stellar numbers under Tippett's system in PHX, then he went to Philly (a team with a similar defense to that of Toronto's) and he completely **** the bed. Bernier is actually doing quite well despite his lackluster support on D. put any other 'elite' goaltender in his position and I highly doubt they'd maintain their career averages

Last year was Bernier's statistically best season.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Not quite yet, but he could be. Elite is guys like Lundqvist, Price, Quick, etc. Bernier isn't on their level yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad