Is Artemi Panarin second best player in the NHL ?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No.

I’d pick C’s who are scoring at a high level and bring it in 3 zones over offensive winger.
Then you have couple of elite of the elite wingers you could argue against Panarin.

McDavid/Mackinnon/Matthews/Barkov/Drai
Kucherov/Kane/Marchand/Pasta

Can’t say Panarin is the 2nd best from that group

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
AHAHAHAHHAHAH
Good Joke.

Where’s the joke.

One of them is the best 2 way winger in the league that can score 100 points and the other is an offensive winger who can score 100 points

You can prefer Panarin but there’s no joke there

Reactions: Score8

BerlinBlueShirt

Feb 25, 2016
Berlin, Germany
No.

I’d pick C’s who are scoring at a high level and bring it in 3 zones over offensive winger.
Then you have couple of elite of the elite wingers you could argue against Panarin.

McDavid/Mackinnon/Matthews/Barkov/Drai
Kucherov/Kane/Marchand/Pasta

Can’t say Panarin is the 2nd best from that group

Exclude McDavid and maybe MacKinnon from the list and ask 20 people to rank them you will have 20 different opinions. There is no right or wrong answer.
One goes by points, another by position, defense, teammates.
I personally love the Breadman and enjoy him every game. I am sure Bruins fans feel the same about Pasta or Marchand.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
He needs to be peak Ovy to be considered anything..

and then he would be worse than a guy with a boatload of secondary assists.

Meh, It's a free flowing list after McDavid and Panarin is easily there

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I haven't seen enough of the other top guys to say but if he is then that means the quality of the other top guys is surprisingly low compared to top guys in previous eras. Panarin is amazing but he's not top 2 in the league material. Doesn't feel like he's dominating like a man against boys often enough. Not that he doesn't dominate, look at the score sheets, it's just there's something even more from the best of the best. He's not far off though. He really is scary good

Last edited:

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
Can we just agree that there is no definitive second best player in the NHL?

As this post suggests, the case can be made for Panarin. But it could be made for 10 other players too. I am just so happy to have him on our team- he is amazing to watch.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Can we just agree that there is no definitive second best player in the NHL?

As this post suggests, the case can be made for Panarin. But it could be made for 10 other players too. I am just so happy to have him on our team- he is amazing to watch.

Blasphemy! Players need to be tiered at all costs! How can one even justify to live this miserable life, if he cant even say star player of his team is BETTER than star player of opposing team!

On more serious note, Panarin is indeed great. He would be even greater, if he cared for winning more than money. By which i mean i am still salty him going to Rangers, when he, if reports are to be believed, had offer from Colorado on table, slightly higher with lesser term.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No chance.
He's not exactly huge gaps behind the best players in terms of ability - but no, others are way more deserving of being called 2nd best (Kuch, Drai, Mack, etc) based on ability/accomplishments

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Are you serious? 135 points in 96 games so far for the Rangers and you're not sure he's top-twenty in the NHL? Seventh in the league in points since he joined, across three systems with darling analytics, and you're not sure if he's a top-twenty player?
And he's 6th in the league in PPG since joining the league. McDavid, Kucherov, Kane, Crosby, Malkin, Marchand and Draisaitl ahead of him, in that order.

3rd in the league in PPG if only looking at his Rangers career, only having - guess which two? - ahead of him. 1st by far in even strength points. Hence his +48 for the Rangers while Draisaitl has +13 and McDavid +5, since so much of their production comes from the PP. Nothing wrong with that though, those also count.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Eliminate contract and age. As a NYR fan, If I had the 2nd choice (after McDavid), Panarin wouldn't be me pick. Panarin is sneaky. He passes as well as he shoots. In my opinion he's better at finding space for other players than looking dominate every time he has the puck. I can't place him second but he's been a hell of a player for us. Or maybe it's all Ryan Strome... :sarcasm:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Gliding around would be the perfect description of Panarin in the play in round
He didn't exactly glide around for CBJ, or his first year in Chicago from what I saw. Last year was a weird year, so until that becomes consistent from him in the post season, I'm going to give him a pass, especially when the entire team forgot to take the ice when play continued...

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The issue with this thread is it goes from "Second best player in the NHL" to "Impacting his team" which is not the same thing.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The nice thing is that I had to read a lot about how much better everyone was than Drai and McDavid in the offseason here. Mack is better AINEC... Matthews is better AINEC... Eichel is better AINEC... Panarin is better AINEC... Crobsy is better AINEC. Happy that's ended!

I honestly think the gap between the top 6 to 8 guys is so marginal that I couldn't even pick. They're all just outstanding and great to watch. I don't follow NYR closely but I feel like they've been putting up touchdowns (eg. 7 goals) since his return. I think they're even close to a playoff spot now... it's damn impressive if they can pull that off!

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Second best LW alive. Great player.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Score8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad