Is Artemi Panarin second best player in the NHL ?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Second best LW alive. Great player.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Marchand might be a very good player, but he has something wrong in the head.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I’ve had him around top 5 for a couple years. McDavid, Mackinnon, Draisatl, Kucherov are ahead but I don’t see anyone else clearly better

Reactions: Bread4Life

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I’ve had him around top 5 for a couple years. McDavid, Mackinnon, Draisatl, Kucherov are ahead but I don’t see anyone else clearly better
Marchand is better. And while not better, I see the following players very close: Kane, Marner, Pastrnak, Rantanen. So you could make a case for Panarin being top 10 player but he is clearly not 2nd best.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
He has a case, anyone who says yes or no definitively is a fool. He's top-5 without a doubt. The other top-5 players for sure are Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Kucherov and Hedman. Any list where somebody out of these guys is #2 is legit. Mackinnon can scare you all you want but the guy never, for any significant period of time, has been the best player in the league or the best player at his position. Never won the Hart or Richard or Pearson or...really anything. He's flashy, he produces, he's a an exciting skater with powerful stride...but these all are traits. What about an actual substance? Is he ahead of the aforementioned players in terms the actual results? The answer is no. One could argue he's not even the best player from his draft but that is for another thread.

Case closed.

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
He has a case, anyone who says yes or no definitively is a fool. He's top-5 without a doubt. The other top-5 players for sure are Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Kucherov and Hedman. Any list where somebody out of these guys is #2 is legit. Mackinnon can scare you all you want but the guy never, for any significant period of time, has been the best player in the league or the best player at his position. Never won the Hart or Richard or Pearson or...really anything. He's flashy, he produces, he's a an exciting skater with powerful stride...but these all are traits. What about an actual substance? Is he ahead of the aforementioned players in terms the actual results? The answer is no. One could argue he's not even the best player from his draft but that is for another thread.

Case closed.
He was never drafted. I guess you have missed his entire dandelion story? I assume you mean his rookie season, but there's a difference. It's goddamn movie material. Otherwise, sure, I agree with you, it's all debatable, but he's up there in the tumble dryer of opinions.
Marchand plays with Bergeron and Pasta

Panarin plays with Strome and Blackwell

Panarin >> Marchand
Yup, who've had chemistry for ages. But the licking maniac is better. Meanwhile Panarin carries his entire line - and a significant extent of the team. It's him, Zibanejad, Fox and Shesterkin, but Panarin is the star star.

I would never pick Marchand ahead of Panarin. Panarin is way more talented, worse defensively but is actually likeable. And that's not out of the pest role issue, Marchand goes beyond that like worse than Sean Avery kind of moves. Marchand can stay in Boston.

Which is exactly why Marchand has no chance to end up in the HHOF. He's too much of a dumbass to not even respect the sport and his opponents enough to hold some kind of standard that even 4 year olds know is absolutely disgusting and forbidden.

Don't eat dog shit. Don't eat sand. Don't lick people in the face. The simple stuff that Marchand was never raised to understand. And even detracting this, I don't hold Marchand's hockey skills that highly. If he would've played on a worse team, he would've been held in much less regard. He wouldn't shine as much as on a well oiled Boston 1st line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bread4Life

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
You could make an argument for best winger, but Ws just don't impact the game as much as Cs or Ds, so by default I don't think a winger can be even a top 5 player in the league.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017

A couple years meaning before last season? Very wild you thought he was around top 5 when he was putting up PPG in Columbus.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Marchand is better. And while not better, I see the following players very close: Kane, Marner, Pastrnak, Rantanen. So you could make a case for Panarin being top 10 player but he is clearly not 2nd best.
Based on the last 2 seasons, Panarin has offensively outperformed (PPG) everyone except McDavid and Draisaitl (who Panarin is outperforming this season)

All players like:
MacKinnon,
Matthews,
Marner,
Rantanen,
Kucherov (I know hes injured this year),
Pastrnak (Goal scoring monster),
Marchand

Im not saying he is better than all these players but I am saying that he is more than worthy of being talked about in the top 5 players in the league.

Especially with each of the those players on stacked lines compared Panarin with Ryan Strome.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
A couple years meaning before last season? Very wild you thought he was around top 5 when he was putting up PPG in Columbus.
Putting up 169 points in 160 games while absolutely driving play for a bad Columbus team made him about top ~10 for me. Before I thought he might be a product of Kane but he really proved he was elite during his Columbus years

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
He was never drafted. I guess you have missed his entire dandelion story? I assume you mean his rookie season, but there's a difference. It's goddamn movie material. Otherwise, sure, I agree with you, it's all debatable, but he's up there in the tumble dryer of opinions..
You need to re-read my post carefully.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
He might be the 2nd best winger right now but not 2nd best player. He has a case for top 5 though, his impact is undeniable and he can play with anyone.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Putting up 169 points in 160 games while absolutely driving play for a bad Columbus team made him about top ~10 for me. Before I thought he might be a product of Kane but he really proved he was elite during his Columbus years
He’s the only player in Columbus history to finish the season over point per game, so that’s a ridiculous task to accomplish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->