Is Artemi Panarin second best player in the NHL ?

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
But the licking maniac is better. Meanwhile Panarin carries his entire line - and a significant extent of the team. It's him, Zibanejad, Fox and Shesterkin, but Panarin is the star star.
I would never pick Marchand ahead of Panarin. Panarin is way more talented, worse defensively but is actually likeable. And that's not out of the pest role issue, Marchand goes beyond that like worse than Sean Avery kind of moves. Marchand can stay in Boston.
Which is exactly why Marchand has no chance to end up in the HHOF. He's too much of a dumbass to not even respect the sport and his opponents enough to hold some kind of standard that even 4 year olds know is absolutely disgusting and forbidden.
Don't eat dog shit. Don't eat sand. Don't lick people in the face. The simple stuff that Marchand was never raised to understand. And even detracting this, I don't hold Marchand's hockey skills that highly. If he would've played on a worse team, he would've been held in much less regard. He wouldn't shine as much as on a well oiled Boston 1st line.
He better not do this to a kicking maniac, or he'll send his ass to the moon :laugh:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
2nd best offensive player he has a strong case for, but depending on who you ask, "best player" can mean different things so some people are gonna want a high offensive output center who is defensively responsible and brings a bunch of tools to the table as well rather than a winger who isn't known for his defensive prowess

Reactions: haveandare

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
He brings more to the game than anyone not named Connor McDavid
Draisaitl has him beat in basically every facet.

Stop being a homer.

Panarin however is in the running for 3rd best currently.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
2nd best offensive player he has a strong case for, but depending on who you ask, "best player" can mean different things so some people are gonna want a high offensive output center who is defensively responsible and brings a bunch of tools to the table as well rather than a winger who isn't known for his defensive prowess
Just to add on this, while it's true that he's not exactly good defensively, I wouldn't say he's bad either. Average in that regard to me. And that's a big difference compared to some of the top offensive contributors who generally are below average in that regard (high risk/high reward playstyle).

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Second best player is wayyy too subjective - so many other incredible players that people can make really strong arguments for when you open it to all positions.

Best winger or not is more of an arguable question. Hard to say how he might play with another top linemate. Very hard to compare to guys like Drai, Marchand etc because of that. Maybe he’d score even more in their positions or maybe he thrives being the guy on his line.

Either way, he’s a great player and top winger right now.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
I wouldn't put him at No. 2, but man, I don't know how people can scoff at placing him top 3-5. Stats are skewed due to COVID, but he was gliding towards 110-115 pts last year and is on pace for 120 this year if they played 82. He's incredibly consistent. Last two seasons, who else besides McD and Drai have put up as many points per game? Not many.

I think Panarin is at least in the top 5 and if he continues what he's doing, he will be solidly Top 3. Yes, even ahead of Kucherov. Panarin's linemates have been Ryan Strome, Jesper Fast, Kaapo Kakko and Colin freaking Blackwell, FFS. The numbers he's putting up are incredible, all things considered.

Obv, if you want to look back more than just this season and last, different story. It really depends on how much body of work you need to make definitive statements about who ranks where. I just think Panarin's getting to the point where he's forcing himself into this conversation in a real way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vukotal Recall

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
His playoff performances have been consistently disappointing.

They’re certainly not to the Panarin regular season standard but 28 points in 30 playoff games so far isn’t bad either. He hasn’t had a ton of post season time. As the Rangers emerge from this rebuild he’ll get more chances and see if he can prove himself there.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
They’re certainly not to the Panarin regular season standard but 28 points in 30 playoff games so far isn’t bad either. He hasn’t had a ton of post season time. As the Rangers emerge from this rebuild he’ll get more chances and see if he can prove himself there.
His numbers look better than his performance. Games 4-6 against the Capitals he was Washington's best player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad