Post-Game Talk: is anyone surprised?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Babcock gets a big old failing grade tonight, whether or not his strongest supporters want to admit it. He played bunker mentality in the third and then once again with mystifying line choices and decisions in overtime in terms of aggressiveness. We all know we're terrible at the shootout at this point, so what is Babcock playing for there? :shakehead

This isn't new. And when we had the PP in OT and Babs brought that sharpie out.... I knew we were ****ed... Let Dats and Z come up with the strategy. At least he gave Tats some ice time late.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Question: Is Holland going to allow this team to slide into mediocrity because of his complacency or is he going to do SOMETHING?

Just my opinion of course, but I think he's been doing nothing but allowing it to slip further and further into mediocrity for several years. The man either has bought the myth of himself as the smartest guy in the NHL, or he's become too risk adverse to change from what he already knows and feels is the safe bet. Or a little bit of both. Either way he's put himself in a terrible situation with no leverage to make any move except using waivers, and that means he won't get any return for the spare parts he (supposedly, I doubt he wants to part with "his guys" at all) would like to move, and he will have to overpay quite a bit for help. And considering he needs to do both, unload the dead weight and bring in reinforcements, I suspect the cost would upset quite a few people. Say bye-bye to some of the better prospects, a good pick or two.. Or wait out the season and begin from scratch.

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
The blame for this team's performance thus far lies squarely on Holland's shoulders. Not enough talent or hunger on this team. I don't care who the coach is, this roster has been getting progressively worse since 2009.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Ok guys.. we realize that we are starting to really SUCK in OT/SO… even when the game is played OK up till that point.

What went WELL tonight?
WHO played WELL tonight?

(I missed most the game)

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Ok guys.. we realize that we are starting to really SUCK in OT/SO… even when the game is played OK up till that point.

What went WELL tonight?
The first period. That's about it, got worse from there.

WHO played WELL tonight?

(I missed most the game)
In no order; Franzen, Tatar, Miller, DK. I was most impressed with Miller though, he had a ton of quality chances.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
meanwhile in a parallel universe Nyquist scores 3 more points tonite at GR

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
meanwhile in a parallel universe Nyquist scores 3 more points tonite at GR

ken-holland-2011-5-13-1-10-38.jpg

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
The biggest problem we have this year is our inability to defend a lead. Last year we had the 5th lowest GA in the league overall and our goals per period was pretty consistent with 36 in the 1st, 36 in the 2nd & 35 in the 3rd. The big change game in the playoffs where we allowed 37 goals overall but 20 of them came in the 3rd! We allowed only 8 & 7 goals in the 1st & 2nd periods but come the 3rd it's like the Wings forgot how to play defence.

Fast forward to this year. Through 20 games we have allowed 52 goals which is 16th in the league. The problem is that the trend from the playoffs has continued where we have defensive meltdowns and just allow 2 or 3 goals in the 3rd. Going by period our GA looks like this: 1st = 12 (T9th in the league), 2nd = 16 (T8th in the league) & 3rd = 21 (T28th in the league).

For whatever reason we allow more goals as the games goes on & if we don't learn how to defend better in the 3rd we could miss the playoffs because of it. I'm not sure if it's in the players or if it's on Babcock for not being able to settle them down but hopefully they can fix it.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Really is amazing, we have won 3 of our past 12 games, and where do we sit in the standings?? 4th in the East. Thank God we're not in the West. That being said if they don't win a few games here, we will start to fall rapidly.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm surprised. They just asked Babcock if Glendinging was up for tomorrow.
He said no, GUS!!! and stormed out of the interview! :handclap::nod::D

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The first period. That's about it, got worse from there.

In no order; Franzen, Tatar, Miller, DK. I was most impressed with Miller though, he had a ton of quality chances.

Miller couldn't convert any of those glorious chances, a big part of the reason he was getting them to begin with. I liked him, but best player tonight?

Franzen was our best player tonight, nice to see him do that, Tatar was second best. If DK's name was Smith or Quincey all you guys would talk about even with points was his horrible turnover in the first that led to the goal. I was glad to see him bounce back from that though, really terrible pass then pinches up after it on a bad read compounding his mistake.

If I had to do stars

1.) Franzen
2.) Tatar
3.) Kindl

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Missed the game, surprised to see double D leading all Detroit skaters with 26:35 TOI and a goal and an assist to boot. How'd he look and who was he paired with?

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Not possible unless I am missing something, if you just made that up I hope you have run into something unfortunate to teach you a lesson for raising hopes of other people.

Did anyone else watch the post game? I am not imagining things, the last word he said was Gus! That is not Gustavsson!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad