Post-Game Talk: is anyone surprised?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Kenneh!
Kenneh!
He's our man!
If He can't do it
No one can!

I have to tell you how impressed I am with this depth our GM has created. We've waived Cory Emmerton, Jordin Tootoo and Patrick Eaves and NO ONE wanted any of them. So now we get to send them down to Grand Rapids and can call them back up if we ever have the roster spots to do so. That's how you build a Stanley Cup winner!!

It's really quite impressive. I wonder how many more players we could waive and not have a single team in the NHL show the slightest bit of interest in acquiring that player. Mikael Samuelsson? Dan Cleary? Drew Miller? Kyle Quincey? Jakub Kindl?

We truly have an incredible amount of depth. Oh, is Kenneh still working on that trade to alleviate the roster crunch? :laugh:

Jakub Kindl doesn't belong on that list

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The point is the same though. We have a ton of guys no one wants.

Now, part of that is because of the cap crunch this year because of the ceiling coming down. I'm fairly sure if it had risen like it had previous years, someone would have been interested in Tootoo and Eaves.

There's just not that much room for most teams to take any players on, even if they wanted to.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
When we didnt score in the 3rd with all that pressure I knew they would tie the game. And yes they did tie the game on a lucky ass goal. Positive is we outplayed them. Negative is we still dont have our best team out there.
Dats-z-bert
alf-nquist-helm
tartar-weiss-franzen
:shakehead

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
The point is the same though. We have a ton of guys no one wants.

Now, part of that is because of the cap crunch this year because of the ceiling coming down. I'm fairly sure if it had risen like it had previous years, someone would have been interested in Tootoo and Eaves.

There's just not that much room for most teams to take any players on, even if they wanted to.

you ant tell my hockey is losing money cap goes down. Soon there wont be any stars in the NHL. :shakehead

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Lol goal differential is definately catching up to us now. We actually scored 3 goals in regulation not playing against a team that should be contracted if it didn't reside in canada so shocked by that one.

Playing not to lose again babs in the third? Seriously? Why not play the way that got you that lead moron? I really hope next year he is gone. I really don't trust him at all handling the development with the 4-5 young players coming up next year. He really doesn't have a good track record at all with young players and we are about to have a bunch hit at once coming next year.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I saw a much brighter side to this game than most.

We did control the play for 3/4 of the time and it was small blunders that allowed WAS to capitalize. Dekeyser's one-timer and Franzen's 2 were sick, beautiful shots. The Laich goal should not have happened, Latta's goal was purely bad luck for Detroit. Speaking of which, why does Detroit give up so many 1st NHL goals to our opposition? :help:

For a large percentage their stars Ovi and Backstrom were held completely silent. Tatar had an excellent game, so did the 1st line IMO. Our D was proficient. Didn't notice much bad from Quincey or Ericsson while Dekeyser and Kindl stood out in a good way. Kindl is such a smooth skater, I agree with Babcock he looked good on the PP.

The negatives are obvious: Samuelsson and Cleary! Those 2 should not be on the ice, and we shouldn't have players that sicken the fans and make us hate. Holland may catch hell for seeing some glimmer of hope in these two but I blame them. Your time is done, step aside because you are dead weight. They are watchers, riding for free and dragging this team down. Please retire!

LeftBackLegend

Oct 15, 2011
Last 10 games, only Florida is in worse form in the division - even the supposedly tanking Buffalo is now doing better than the Wings.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
Last 10 games, only Florida is in worse form in the division - even the supposedly tanking Buffalo is now doing better than the Wings.

Yet the Wings are 4th in the conference.

Also, the only team in the Atlantic with more points in those 10 games is Tampa. Where did u go to school?

Xvash2

Jul 8, 2010
Yet the Wings are 4th in the conference.

Also, the only team in the Atlantic with more points in those 10 games is Tampa. Where did u go to school?

Luckily the entire Eastern Conference is a massive joke.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Clearly Holland and Mr. Realgud don't think that a dynamic player like Gus will not only boost our offense in the first 60 minutes of these snooze fests, but they also seem ignorant to the fact that he may provide some help to our putrid shootout production.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Holland and Babs are not in the business of winning hockey games, bottom line. They are in the business of friendships and loyalty and its finally catching up to them. Everything but icing the best possible team to win games is failure in my eyes. If you can make the team better with a few simple moves its idiotic to not do it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Clearly Holland and Mr. Realgud don't think that a dynamic player like Gus will not only boost our offense in the first 60 minutes of these snooze fests, but they also seem ignorant to the fact that he may provide some help to our putrid shootout production.

Maybe they are as drunk as I am right now, but all the time.

Watching the replay after watching the game from the front row (next to a couple freaking delightful Capitals fans) makes me think we don't need Gus, either. :sarcasm:

Honestly, that game could have used a guy like Nyquist to take the play to other lines just a bit more than they did tonight. One more neutral zone or offensive zone faceoff instead of a defensive zone or neutral zone faceoff could have been the difference and led to another goal for or one less goal against.

Free Nyquist!

crashman

How any minutes did Alfredsson play in the 3rd and OT? I only caught those 2 periods and I don't recall seeing him play at all.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I thought DRW was the better team, so why all the venom. Wings is going on a tear soon, book it.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
How does it work? Cant the red wings just waive Sammy and Cleary?

They can waive Sammy but only saves $100K on the cap because of his contract 35+
I'd still waive him because he sucks

They can waive Cleary too and he would probably clear waivers like the rest.
I'd waive him because he sucks

I am not the GM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad