OT: Iron Chef HFNYR (Recipes/Game Meal or Snack Pics)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Has anyone used a himalayan salt bbq plank? I'm thinking about getting one for my uncle for christmas since he's big into grilling

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This is the one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/KSJK-Unisex-C...11&keywords=will+smith+ugly+christmas+sweater

Just made the christmas punch. Got the recipe off of google (Great reviews). All the while i'm making it i'm thinking... so many acidic/sourish fruits (oranges + orange juice, lemons + lemon juice, pineapples + pineapple juice) and then it asks me to dump all these marishino cherries and cherry fruit concentrate and sprite at the end...? That thing was going through a civil war for about 30 minutes trying to decide what type of taste it wanted to give off. Once I added the handle of rum the sides made up.
Homemade Amaretto is one of my favorite Christmas gifts. All you need is vodka, sugar, some extract, and an empty wine bottle. It takes like 20 minutes to make. Cheap and tastes fancy, great in a pinch. :laugh:

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Making my awesome jalapeño cheddar sweet corn bread
Edit: Done!

cornbread.jpg

[collapse=recipe]
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup kefir (or buttermilk)
0.5-0.75 cup sugar
1.5 tsp baking soda
2 medium sized eggs
1/4 cup chopped, fresh jalapeño
1/4 cup diced mature cheddar cheese
2 sticks unsalted butter
1tsp salt

* Preheat oven to 400F and grease a 9" cake pan
* Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl
* Melt butter in a pan and remove from heat. Add sugar to butter and stir until dissolved
*Add the eggs and milk to the flour mixture and stir lightely
*Add the sweetened sugar and stir until completely incorporated
*Add cheese and peppers and pour mixture into the greased pan.
*Baking time will differ, but 25-30 minutes is about right. Check with a fork or toothpick.
[/collapse]

This corn bread is great with a nice chili or bbq. If you like a less sweet corn bread, you can reduce the amount of sugar.

Last edited:

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Homemade Pizza.

I made a picture tutorial in the video below. Sorry for the rough voice...I generally don't talk very much. This 7 minutes is something my vocal chords will take awhile to forgive me for:

Basically:

Ingredients

1 Package Yeast (¼ ounce) (2-1/4 Teaspoons)

1 Cup Warm Water

2-1/2 Cups Flour

2 Teaspoons Olive Oil

1 Teaspoon Sugar (Can use Dried Herbs instead)

1 Teaspoon Salt

Directions

Combine yeast and warm water

Stir until dissolved

Add remaining ingredients and mix well

Can add a tad of Cornmeal for crisper Crust

Let rest 5 minutes

Roll out to size and shape you need

Can use same size recipe in jelly roll pans and on round baking stones

Pre-Bake Crust at 450F for 6 to 10 minutes or so

Add Marinara Sauce and Whole Milk Mozzarella cheese (Mixing in some cheddar is very good, too)

Bake at 450F for another 6 to 10 minutes

Use your imagination, this is hard to mess up

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
In honor of Sam Rosen's recent accidental mispronunciation of "Paille" as "paella," we will be having homemade paella as part of our Super Bowl celebration. :D

What's everyone else having/making/bringing?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
In honor of Sam Rosen's recent accidental mispronunciation of "Paille" as "paella," we will be having homemade paella as part of our Super Bowl celebration. :D

What's everyone else having/making/bringing?
****, you just reminded me I have to put the puff pastry in the fridge to thaw out. :laugh:

Making pigs in blankets. Had some amazing poutine tonight for dinner from this place called Pink Bicycle.

o.jpg

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Homemade Pizza.

I made a picture tutorial in the video below. Sorry for the rough voice...I generally don't talk very much. This 7 minutes is something my vocal chords will take awhile to forgive me for:

Basically:

Ingredients

1 Package Yeast (¼ ounce) (2-1/4 Teaspoons)

1 Cup Warm Water

2-1/2 Cups Flour

2 Teaspoons Olive Oil

1 Teaspoon Sugar (Can use Dried Herbs instead)

1 Teaspoon Salt

Directions

Combine yeast and warm water

Stir until dissolved

Add remaining ingredients and mix well

Can add a tad of Cornmeal for crisper Crust

Let rest 5 minutes

Roll out to size and shape you need

Can use same size recipe in jelly roll pans and on round baking stones

Pre-Bake Crust at 450F for 6 to 10 minutes or so

Add Marinara Sauce and Whole Milk Mozzarella cheese (Mixing in some cheddar is very good, too)

Bake at 450F for another 6 to 10 minutes

Use your imagination, this is hard to mess up

Good job! That is pretty much the dough recipe I use, but I honey sometimes. Yours is so nicely rectangular, mine is always like an amoeba :laugh:

Salami + crushed garlic = underrated pizza topping combo. But it will make you Smaug for like 24 hours.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Absolutely had to share this from this past weekend.

9zXZVPp.jpg

Just steak and fondant potatoes. AMAZING way of making potatoes. So rich.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

9zXZVPp.jpg

Fondant potatoes, you say? If you didn't mention it, I would have said those were oddly flat-sided scallops! :laugh:

How are fondant potatoes? I've never heard of them prepared that way.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Those look quite delicious. :handclap: I am going to have to try to make those for my wife when I get back from my trip.

I haven't cooked much in the last week or so but recently did make an outstanding meal. Caramelized onion and brie stuffed chicken breasts with a cauliflower risotto. The recipe calls to de-glaze the pan with white wine. I used a little bit of bourbon instead and it gave the brie & onions such a wonderful, rich flavor.

IW36pkB.jpg

UrFMn3C.jpg

Last edited:

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Fondant potatoes, you say? If you didn't mention it, I would have said those were oddly flat-sided scallops! :laugh:

How are fondant potatoes? I've never heard of them prepared that way.

I heard of them on a youtube channel by chance and then researched them! So first time making them. I used this recipe from Chef John at Food Wishes. Really been impressed with his stuff.

https://foodwishes.blogspot.ca/2013/06/fondant-potatoes-creamy-crusty-blast.html

That brie chicken looks delicious!! Loving the plate haha

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I heard of them on a youtube channel by chance and then researched them! So first time making them. I used this recipe from Chef John at Food Wishes. Really been impressed with his stuff.

https://foodwishes.blogspot.ca/2013/06/fondant-potatoes-creamy-crusty-blast.html

That brie chicken looks delicious!! Loving the plate haha

Thanks for the compliment on the food and plates :laugh: . I've wanted to get plain white plates or plates that are different colors (but the same color throughout). My wife doesn't want to let these go.

I owe this to thepuckmonster though. If she had not got me started on this low carb diet a few months back, I wouldn't have had the need to get creative with things like this.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
www.amazingribs.com

The recipes and techniques are really really good. Just be sure to read all the way through the recipes as they could be written a little better

and a random simple trick I've picked up in recent years. If you like garlic mashed potatoes but either don't have the time to roast a bulb of garlic or just don't feel like it. Just shell as many cloves as you like and throw them in the water to boil with the potatoes. When the potatoes are ready the garlic will be soft and will mash right in. It makes them a little milder so if you really want the garlic flavor use more cloves than you would generally. But it is a great time saver if you need it.

We love cooking especially for game days.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Moonshine apple pie

What you'll need:

1 quart 190 proof everclear and it's legal in NY so check out the local liquor store
1 gallon apple cider
1 gallon apple juice
4-5 cinnamon sticks
2 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla--or maybe just a little more.
1 pot able to handle 2 gallons worth of liquid
somewhere between 9 or 10 quart mason jars with lids.

Pour apple cider and apple juice into pot--add white and brown sugar, cinnamon sticks and vanilla--stir it good. Bring to a boil. Let sit until it cools off and you want it to cool off. When cooled off add everclear and stir for a couple minutes. Put into jars and refrigerate. It's best if it sits for about two weeks. A very smooth drink but it has some kick to it and can sneak up on you.

I have a variation of that which is Moonshine Peach Pie

Peach cider can be found in southern states like Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. It's quite a bit more expensive than apple cider. I'm going to make some of this in the next couple days. This year I went online to get a gallon and between the cost and shipping it was close to $40 just for a gallon. A friend gave me a bottle of everclear (about $30) which kind of negated that. Even so it's more than twice as expensive to make Moonshine Peach Pie than Moonshine Apple Pie.

For the Peach Pie:

1 quart Everclear
1 gallon Peach Cider
about 128 oz's of canned or jarred peaches (in peach syrup--not fruit or apple juice--peach and nothing but peach) from the grocery store
depending on how sweet you want it 2 or 3 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
a large enough pot to boil two gallons of liquid
9 or 10 mason jars with lids.

Pour peach cider and jarred peaches in peach syrup into pot--add sugar and vanilla--stir it good--bring it to a boil. Let sit until it cools off and again you want it to cool off--add everclear and stir for a couple minutes. Put into jars and refrigerate and again it's best if it sits for a couple weeks. Just as a note--the peaches do have a habit of soaking in some of the booze and some people will start scarfing them down like candy.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Um... can't say I have ever had that combination but sauerkraut is so good with so many different foods.

I never had them together either. I eat cashews daily but only bought sauerkraut today after seeing some on my morning news. I eat goofy combinations. :)

RonnieJamesDO

Jul 20, 2016
Stenchburg
I do make an excellent crock pot turkey chili, coconut curry and steak. I can pretty much make anything really, but those are great for game time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00