OT: Iron Chef HFNYR (Recipes/Game Meal or Snack Pics)

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
3 dishes that I've recently made that I'm proud of.

Grilled tuna tataki

pmMealS.jpg

Flank steak with chimichuri

W5u4png.jpg

Cilantro lime garlic chicken

ArxxHfB.jpg

Reactions: RalphyDanger

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Would actually be fun as **** to do once every few weeks a random ingredient, and we have a week or so to each do and post our own rendition. Real HFNYR Iron Chef.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I wish I was a better cook than I am. Pretty good at fried rice, pasta and sauce, and I can do steak in a pan OK. Beyond that though, not really.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
nice, we have a mini brewery set up in my parents basement.* My dad and I crank out about 12 gallons of beer a year or so, and my brother and I do a batch (4 gallons) of mead every other year. good stuff.

* cooking hookups, mash tun, multiple 6gal/3gal/2gal carboys to make whatever yield, all other rando-equip like bottles, hoses, caps, cleaning, etc
Mead Is great. I do mine with oranges.

I'm in the process of doing some cognac now actually

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
great idea! now i have another resource for finding some recipes! cant wait to see some more dishes that get posted. they all look amazeballs so far!!!

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
This one is coming out for our Halloween party tonight... pecan pumpkin crisp with spiced whipped cream. It's gluten free, but tastes great and has a good mouth feel.

XiKlizZl.jpg

Recipe below in the collapse.

[collapse=text]Pumpkin Crisp
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min | Servings: 4 servings | Difficulty: Medium

Ingredients:

1 (15 oz.) can unsweetened pumpkin
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
0.5 tsp. ground cinnamon
0.5 tsp. salt
1 (18.25 oz) package gluten-free yellow cake mix (King Arthur works very well)
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
ground nutmeg
spiced whipped cream (recipe below)

Directions:

Stir together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Pour into a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish.

Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the pumpkin mixture.

Sprinkle evenly with pecans.

Drizzle the butter evenly over the pecans. Dust on any remaining cake mix.

Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from the oven and let stand for at least 20 minutes before serving.

Can be served warm or at room temperature with whipped cream and lightly grated nutmeg.

Spiced Whipped Cream
Prep Time: 15 min | Servings: 4 servings | Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:

1 cup heavy cream
0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
0.5 tsp ground ginger
0.5 tsp ground allspice
2 Tbsp sugar

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a large, cold bowl and whip to stiff peaks with a stand mixer or hand mixer. [/collapse]

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Unfortunately, I do not take pictures of what I make. As I said, I do not often post recipes, but how can I not share with my HF community?

I started cooking by naturally experimenting in college. You know, come home drunk at 3 am and make grilled cheese........Then, and I fully admit this, came along food tv. Emeril, specifically. And I said, I want THAT! But I realized that it was unfair for me to ask anyone else to make THAT for me. So I started to cook myself. My mom is an amazing cook. But I did not learn from her. My initial love of cooking came from Cajun/creole. Today, I cook with absolutely no borders. Asian food making I love, and back to my Andouille & blue cheese stuffed burgers. But southern in general and Cajun/creole in particular is a favorite.

It is a cathartic for me. Anyway, I will post some things for y'all. But do try the manchego garlic dogs I posted on the previous page. Especially for you beginners. It is an easy dish and the relish has become my go to.

I have also begun to keep a spreadsheet of restaurants that I tried and intend to try. In NY, out of NY, elsewhere in the US, elsewhere in the world. It has taken on a life of its own, and more than likely will be the context for a book eventually as most that know me are always urging me. So if anyone needs suggestions.......

Megustaelhockey

Apr 29, 2011
Unfortunately, I do not take pictures of what I make. As I said, I do not often post recipes, but how can I not share with my HF community?

I started cooking by naturally experimenting in college. You know, come home drunk at 3 am and make grilled cheese........Then, and I fully admit this, came along food tv. Emeril, specifically. And I said, I want THAT! But I realized that it was unfair for me to ask anyone else to make THAT for me. So I started to cook myself. My mom is an amazing cook. But I did not learn from her. My initial love of cooking came from Cajun/creole. Today, I cook with absolutely no borders. Asian food making I love, and back to my Andouille & blue cheese stuffed burgers. But southern in general and Cajun/creole in particular is a favorite.

It is a cathartic for me. Anyway, I will post some things for y'all. But do try the manchego garlic dogs I posted on the previous page. Especially for you beginners. It is an easy dish and the relish has become my go to.

I have also begun to keep a spreadsheet of restaurants that I tried and intend to try. In NY, out of NY, elsewhere in the US, elsewhere in the world. It has taken on a life of its own, and more than likely will be the context for a book eventually as most that know me are always urging me. So if anyone needs suggestions.......

Thanks for sharing. I find cooking really therapeutic, too. I wish we found the gym as therapeutic as the kitchen. :laugh:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This one is coming out for our Halloween party tonight... pecan pumpkin crisp with spiced whipped cream. It's gluten free, but tastes great and has a good mouth feel.
You are a better man than me. I have no sweet tooth and do not usually bother with desert. At dinner parties, that is a failing for sure. I usually do wine/jams & cheese/fruit instead.

Thanks for sharing. I find cooking really therapeutic, too. I wish we found the gym as therapeutic as the kitchen. :laugh:
Which is why I find myself at the gym at 6 am. I like food way too much.

Megustaelhockey

Apr 29, 2011
You are a better man than me. I have no sweet tooth and do not usually bother with desert. At dinner parties, that is a failing for sure. I usually do wine/jams & cheese/fruit instead.

I have had to learn to cook for someone with celiac disease, so that usually makes dessert (and breakfast) extra challenging. Cheese or fruit plates or seconds of dinner would be fine for us, but guests told me they wanted dessert, so I found something easy enough for the holidays that even a science failure like me could make it.

Cooking is an art; baking is a science.

Which is why I find myself at the gym at 6 am. I like food way too much.

Who's the better man than whom again? At 6 am, I'm watching the previous night's NHL highlights half asleep on the couch. :shakehead

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I made killer chicken cacciatore last night that everyone loved: Edited to add: Nights when I make any kind of chicken dish on Ranger game nights I am at 850 winning percentage, so I always TRY to make chicken dishes when we play.

Zippy Chicken Cacciatore Recipe

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Risotto :clittle:

Ingredients:

1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
2 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP butter
salt
4-6 cups chicken broth (homemade is delicious)
1 medium white onion chopped
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
Freshly grated nutmeg (optional)

1) In a medium sauce-pan, bring chicken broth to a boil, and turn down to simmer.

2) In a large ~12-14" skillet, bring the butter and olive oil to medium heat.

3) Add the onion, and season with a dash a salt. Let cook until translucent (about 3-4 minutes) stirring occasionally.

4) Add the rice and stir constantly for exactly 2 minutes.

5) Add the white wine, turn heat down to medium-low, continue stirring.

6) When the rice has absorbed most of the liquid, ladle in 1 cup of chicken broth. Stir well about every minute or so, until the rice has absorbed the broth, then repeat until you've used up 4 cups of broth. I make 6 cups as a precaution, but it should really only require 4.

7) When the rice is no longer crunchy but still firm, and is creating a creamy sauce, and the broth is absorbed, kill the heat and add the cheese and whatever other toppings you desire, and finish seasoning with salt and pepper.

8) Doneski.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I workout so I can eat more. :laugh:
You and me both. And so I can eat things like this:

Game time dip:

Hot Corn Dip with Crispy Tortilla Chips

Ingredients

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 1/2 cups corn kernels (from 4 ears fresh white or yellow corn)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped green onions I use (green and white parts)
1 jalapeno (I do not seed mine at all. For your guests that want less heat, seed. I also always double my jalapeno count or use one jalapeno and one habanero)
2 teaspoons minced garlic (will candidly admit that as a garlic lover, I go over all the time)
1/2 to 1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup (or more) of monterey jack, shredded
4 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (again, I LOVE heat so use more....you can probably double before your guests get scared)
Tortilla chips, for dipping

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the kernels turn deep golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the skillet. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until the onions are wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the green onions, jalapeno, and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened. Transfer to the bowl with the corn. Add the mayonnaise, 1/2 of the monterey jack and half of the cheddar, and the cayenne and mix well. Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve hot with the chips.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
I don't even grill my own steak lol

You guys remind me of my wife, and that's a compliment. She loves to cook and tries new things often. She changes a lot of recipes she finds slightly and does most things by taste. I think it's rare to find a woman that really cooks now.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Risotto :clittle:

Ingredients:

1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
2 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP butter
salt
4-6 cups chicken broth (homemade is delicious)
1 medium white onion chopped
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
Freshly grated nutmeg (optional)

1) In a medium sauce-pan, bring chicken broth to a boil, and turn down to simmer.

2) In a large ~12-14" skillet, bring the butter and olive oil to medium heat.

3) Add the onion, and season with a dash a salt. Let cook until translucent (about 3-4 minutes) stirring occasionally.

4) Add the rice and stir constantly for exactly 2 minutes.

5) Add the white wine, turn heat down to medium-low, continue stirring.

6) When the rice has absorbed most of the liquid, ladle in 1 cup of chicken broth. Stir well about every minute or so, until the rice has absorbed the broth, then repeat until you've used up 4 cups of broth. I make 6 cups as a precaution, but it should really only require 4.

7) When the rice is no longer crunchy but still firm, and is creating a creamy sauce, and the broth is absorbed, kill the heat and add the cheese and whatever other toppings you desire, and finish seasoning with salt and pepper.

8) Doneski.

I've always had trouble finding Arborio rice so I make my risotto with Orzo macaroni. It's so good.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
This is very easy. I make it pretty regularly.

BEER BREAD

Ingredients

3 Cups Flour (sifted, but not a big deal if you don't sift it)

3 Teaspoons Baking Powder

1 Teaspoon Salt (you can use a little less if you like)

1/4 Cup Sugar (I usually use about 1/6 Cup and it's great)

1 Twelve Ounce Beer (Any kind. I've used macros and micros, Lagers to Stouts. All have tasted great)

1/2 Cup Melted Butter (I have used 1/3 Cup and it's fine)

Directions

Preheat Oven to 375F (Can do 350F and cook longer)

Mix Dry Ingredients in a good sized bowl with a Wisk

Add Beer (Note: Do not over-mix! Lumpy is Best. If you see some Flour coating the mix, it is better to leave it alone than to over-mix!)

Pour into a Greased Loafpan (I just spray it with Olive Oil spray. Put a good coating on the pan!). Use a large spoon to slowly move the thick lumpy mixture from the bowl to the pan. Lightly push the mix into the corners of the pan to make sure it is evenly distributed within the pan.

Pour the Melted Butter evenly over the mixture that is in the pan. This'll give it a crispy top.

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes after baking. Sometimes I only let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and it's fine. I have no patience :) .

Not the healthiest bread, but really good! Enjoy! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00