OT: Iron Chef HFNYR (Recipes/Game Meal or Snack Pics)

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Pizza Friday!
Sausage and spinach, garlic infused olive oil.

Attachments

• 20210820_211734.jpg
    20210820_211734.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 8

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Doing my 1st (& very small) feast of seven fishes for my fiancee and myself...

- Cajun crab dip (store bought... cheating I know)
- Seared Sesame Tuna steak w/wasabi aioli
- Grilled Tiger Shrimp skewers
- Stuffed clams
- Butter poached Canadian lobster tails
- Grilled Salmon filet
- Grilled King Crab legs w butter

Reactions: egelband and Crease

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Anyone making anything for Thanksgiving this year?

The bf and I are contributing with cornbread sausage stuffing, brussels sprouts with bacon and walnuts, homemade apple butter, and pumpkin pecan crisp.

All delicious, nothing healthy. lol

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

The bf and I are contributing with cornbread sausage stuffing, brussels sprouts with bacon and walnuts, homemade apple butter, and pumpkin pecan crisp.

Bringing roasted veggies to the family event.

Doing braised short ribs, roast chicken, roasted veggies and salad for the friends event here.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

Making my "world Famous" green bean casserole

(basically the same cambell's soup recipe but I add mushrooms, a lot! I sautee them in butter and red pepper flake... S&P to taste

I also use fresh beans that have been blanched before going into the oven... keeps them bright green instead of turning that drab grey)

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Here You go!

Bob Borealis Award winning Fish soup

Ingredients

Vegetables/Fruits
Fennel - chopped
Red bell peppers - coarsely chopped
Carrots - Sliced
Parsnips - Sliced
Potato (optional)
Garlic ( I like to add a lot)
Leak - sliced

2 green apples

Spices
Indian Curry (medium)
Sweet paprika powder – high quality
Ancho chili powder
Ginger
Saffron
Tumeric

Spices (In a metal tea bag)
Dill seeds
Fennel seeds
Dried (or chopped fresh) thyme
Bay leaves (whole)

Liquids
White wine
Apple juice – concentrated
Crushed tomatoes + ev tomato paste
Tabasco or habanero sauce (depending on preference)
Homemade lobster stock (unsalted)
Homemade fish stock (unsalted) – preferabely from sole, turbot, monkfish and flounder
Fresh cream

Fish filling
Salmon, trout or char (best but may be hard to find)
Halibut or Monkfish
Turbot or sole
Cod
Pealed cooked shrimp
Crawfish tails (cooked)

Langoustine tail (or scallops) on a skewer

Background
Decide how many people are going to eat – but I suggest you make a lot of this as most people LOVE THIS SOUP. Therefore – I will give no measurements to exactly ”give away” the original recipe. But you will little by little figure it out, as the taste of spicing varies.. The original stock is quite spicy – but gets milder when adding cream. This is not an easy recipe to perfect, but well worth discovering. When I served this soup in my gourmet seafood restaurant - about 100 km outside Stockholm - many people would literary pilgrimmage driving 200 km each day to buy it. I always find a good place for it – with great pride – everywhere I cook or own/manage restaurants. It is a must on my menu. The co-creator of the award winning soup, Mikael Palje, unfortunately passed away some years ago – so it is my task to pass on its legacy. Thousands have made it their favourite soup. It’s been served to Kings & Queens, Presidents, Prime Ministers, the former Secretary General of the UN, numerous Hollywood celebrities, CEOs & tycoons and The Rockefeller’s.

Method
Step 1
Peal and chop all the fresh vegetables into medium sized pieces (or as cited above). Root crops should not be cut too big. Press the garlic in a garlic press – or finely chop it manually – ( I do not mind using it quite considerabely) – and fry quickly – preferably in a large wok pan – in a good, neutral vegetable oil (preferabely not olive oil).
After about a minute – fry all the veggies together with the garlic while immediately spicing them with all the aforementioned dry spices (do this after taste – the saffron is necessary! but is not to be used too heartliy + using tumeric gives the nice colour) and stir them rapidly until they are ”sweating” while turning them over fast enough to be careful not to burn anything. Important to note is to add the apples, bell peppars and leaks last as they require least heat.

Step 2
When reasonably softened - turn off the pan and place the veggies into a large pot/bowl for cooking and add prereduced white wine (a little sweeter variety - alcohol free is a good option here), tomatoes, apple juice, water and then stir gently. Drop in the closed metal tea bag with the spices inside. Add water succesively and simmer at below heavy cooking temperature for at least 45 minutes. Taste constantly by adding salt, peppar and tabasco/habanero to desired taste. Remove tea bag.

Step 3
The base for the soup is now ready and can be stored up to a week (if it is not touched by impatient sticky fingers) in a cold temperature (under 4° C), that is if you are not intent on using it directly. It is always good – if possible – to cool the soup as rapidly as possible to a low temperature before storing it in a cooler. If you want – you also have have the basis for an excellent veggie soup – but then I add more tomatoes. I have tried the veggie alternative using it both unscathed and mixed in a food processor – but the unpasteurized variant (no food processor) is better imo.

If you are going to eat it the same day – the lobster stock and fish stock needs to be added 10-12 minutes before the simmering is done. Perhaps add some water under stirring – as the soup base easily can be come too thick. To make the finalized soup – Use the completed soup base that is then hot (eventually reheated in a smaller pot). Add fresh cream and stir it for 2 minutes while cooling. Use about 0,4-0,5 liter per portion.

Step 4
Lastly you add the fish (salmon/monkfish/turbot/cod are great combo) – with about 150 gr per portion in normal sized pieces. Let them simmer together (not cook) for around 2 minutes while stirring gentely to get a firm fish that is not over/undercooked – but this is only possible if the pieces are not too big. Put the precooked shrimp and crawfish tails (weighing around 50 gr together) in the bottom of a soup bowl (do not cook them). Use a large spoon to pour over the hot soup in each bowl. Add sage croutons and herb oil on the top to taste. Can even be topped with a small click of saffron aioli. Serve together with saffron aioli topped on hot homemade white french bread. Also - its very nice to have a spicy skewer of langustine and (or scampi) as a side condiment. Enjoy - VOILA!

P.S. - It is a hearty soup. But you will not get enough of it…

Reactions: tlk and Crease

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
If you ever find yourself in SLC go to a place called the Copper Onion downtown... best carbonara I have ever had
I've actually eaten there, back in 2011. I honestly don't recall what I ordered, but it's an extremely cool restaurant that always stood out in my mind. SLC is actually an underrated city for good eats(At least it was before the California influx...i have no idea how it is now). The area had a bunch of hidden spots that only the locals knew about. There's a place in Sandy, I believe, called The Porcupine that had the tastiest calamari I've ever had. Although this was a decade ago, so I have no idea if it's still good. I was at Squatters brewery downtown a year ago & that's still a great spot...excellent beer & REALLY good food.
100% bourbon
Red wine it is! :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Riche16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad