OT: Iron Chef HFNYR (Recipes/Game Meal or Snack Pics)

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Hey, since aufheben, Gardner McKay, and I are constantly cooking, I thought it would be fun to see who here is a master in the kitchen (or on the grill). If you have pics, recipes, or stories about food you'd like to share, do it here. If the pics are huge or if the recipes are long, you may wish to put them under a collapse tag like in the example below.

Here is some rigatoni alla Genovese. ;)

Btl4AroCMAAsklB.jpg

[collapse=recipe]Ingredients:

1 boneless beef chuck eye roast (about 1 to 1.25 lbs), cut into 4 pieces and trimmed of large pieces of fat
Kosher salt and pepper
4 ounces pancetta, cut into half-inch pieces
3 ounces salami, cut into half-inch pieces
1 small carrot, peeled and cut into half-inch pieces
1 small celery rib, cut into half-inch pieces
3 pounds onions, halved and cut into one-inch pieces
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine, divided
2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram (or oregano), divided
1 pound pasta (prefer rigatoni)
1 ounce Pecorino Romano cheese, grated (1/2 cup), plus extra for serving

Directions:

Sprinkle beef with 1 teaspoon salt and half a teaspoon of pepper and set aside. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees.

Process the pancetta and salami in a food processor until ground to a paste, about 30 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add carrot and celery and process 30 seconds longer, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Transfer the paste to a Dutch oven and set aside. Do not clean out the processor bowl.

Pulse onions in the food processor in batches until eighth- to quarter-inch pieces form, 8 to 10 pulses per batch. Look out for any huge pieces.

Cook pancetta mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until fat is rendered and fond begins to form on bottom of pot, about 5-10 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until browned, about 2-3 minutes.

Stir in 2 cups water, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in onions, season with salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil. Stir in half a cup of wine and 1 tablespoon of marjoram.

Add the beef and push into the onions to ensure it is submerged. Transfer to the oven and cook uncovered until the beef is fully tender, 2 to 2.5 hours.

Place the pot on the stove over low heat. Transfer the beef to a carving board. Using two forks, shred the beef into bite-size pieces. Once the meat is shredded, turn the stove up to medium heat and cook the onion sauce, stirring frequently, until it is almost completely dry. This step can take up to 30 minutes, but it's extremely important. Stir in the remaining half cup of wine and cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir beef and remaining 1 tablespoon of marjoram into the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat, cover, and keep warm.

Bring 4 quarts of aggressively salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add pasta and cook to one minute shorter than package directions, stirring often. Drain the pasta and add to the warm sauce.

Add Pecorino and stir vigorously over low heat until the sauce is slightly thickened and the pasta is coated and al dente, 1 to 2 minutes.

Serve with extra grated Pecorino.[/collapse]

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I put Iron Chef on in the background while I cook and pretend I'm on the show.

No shame.

Made Scotch eggs last night.

No shame.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
If you win, you have to give the prize money (that I just made up) to aufheben. Deal? :laugh:

I will give it to the dog.

-----

hb77O4Ol.jpg

Prime Rib Dinner with popovers, garlic mashed potatoes and beans

eeMxRvvl.jpg

Bacon Topped Chicken with a Blonde Ale Sauce (33 Acres of Sunshine, Vancouver BC) with garlic mashed potatoes (srsly my recipe is the best) and sauteed veggies

Mc7zgfOl.jpg

Beef Bourguignon

krnBwOil.jpg

Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken with the Crispiest Skin ever.

----​

This is all I could find on my phone quickly so I guess I can post more later.

Reactions: egelband and Cag29

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
All these meals look delicious. Can you guys post your recipes? Want to impress the wife!

I'll post the simple ones because the beef bourgouginon is really labour intensive.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
[collapse=taters]
  • 4-5 large Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 egg
  • 2 TBSP cream cheese or chevre (goat cheese)
  • 2 TBSP sour cream
  • 3 TBSP butter
  • salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350F. Boil potatoes and garlic in a large pot until the potato pieces are fork tender. Drain and put back in pot or in large mixing bowl. With a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix in remaining in remaining ingredients and mix until you reach desired consistency. Put potatoes in a oven safe dish or bowl and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes covered, remove foil and bake another 10 minutes. Serves 4 (or 2 if you're me and Auf).[/collapse]

Bacon Beer Chicken
[collapse=beer]
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 4 pieces thick cut bacon
  • 1 cup beer (I like ale but whatever you have is fine)
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 2 lemons, peeled (and de-seeded) and chopped
  • 2 TBSP butter
  • 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375F. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and cook onions until translucent. Add in lemon pieces and cook another 3-4 minutes. Add beer, salt and water (or chicken stock) and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook for 25-30 minutes or until sauce thickens (you can add more butter to the warm liquid to do so).
Cut bacon strips in half and place on top of chicken. Cook on baking sheet or oven safe dish for 25-30 minutes. When done, turn on the broiler to high and move a rack to the highest position possible. Cook chicken under broiler for 5 minutes or until bacon is crispy. Put sauce on. Eat it. You'll have extra sauce but it's also good on eggs.[/collapse]

Epic Roast Chicken
[collapse=roast]
  • 4-5lb whole chicken, giblets removed
  • 1 head garlic
  • 2 lemons, one halved and the other quartered
  • 2 shallots, sliced
  • 1 large onion, cut into wedges
  • 2-3 tbsp butter melted
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 425F. Toss all vegetables and lemons (aside from the garlic and halved lemon) in the olive oil, salt and pepper and place in baking or roasting dish. Take the chicken and pat it down well with paper towel to remove moisture. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper all over. Tie with twine if not already done (helps it cook evenly). Stuff cavity with the lemon halves and head of garlic (cut in half laterally). Drizzle the chicken with the melted butter and add more salt and pepper. Cook in oven for 1 to 1.5 hours or until juices between thigh and body run clear.

You can make a good sauce with the drippings in the pan by deglazing it with some white wine or sherry.[/collapse]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cag29 and egelband

Hobgoblin Steve

Bacon of Light
Feb 5, 2009
Bay Ridge
I made beer.

nice, we have a mini brewery set up in my parents basement.* My dad and I crank out about 12 gallons of beer a year or so, and my brother and I do a batch (4 gallons) of mead every other year. good stuff.

* cooking hookups, mash tun, multiple 6gal/3gal/2gal carboys to make whatever yield, all other rando-equip like bottles, hoses, caps, cleaning, etc

Reactions: egelband

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oh, wow. I do a lot of cooking. Love it. I do not usually post recipes. But will share. Here is something quick and easy.

Manchego and garlic dogs

1. Relish:
o 2 large heads of garlic, top 1/2 inch cut off
o 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
o 1/2 cup diced drained roasted red peppers (make your own or from jar)
o 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
o Coarse kosher salt

2. Hot dogs:
o 6 grilled hot dog buns or 2 1/2-inch-wide pieces ciabatta (I prefer ciabatta)
o 6 grilled all-beef hot dogs
o 2 ounces Manchego cheese,* grated
o Sherry wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar

1. For relish:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place each head of garlic, cut side up, in center of square of foil; drizzle each with 1 teaspoon oil. Enclose garlic in foil. Place packets on oven rack; roast until garlic is tender, about 45 minutes. Open packets; cool 15 minutes.
2. Squeeze garlic cloves into small bowl. Mash enough roasted garlic to measure 1/4 cup (reserve remaining garlic for another use). Transfer 1/4 cup mashed garlic to bowl. Mix in 3 teaspoons oil, red peppers, and parsley. Season with coarse salt and pepper.

2. For hot dogs:
1. Arrange buns on plates. Top each with grilled hot dog, then cheese, garlic relish, and drizzle of vinegar.

Reactions: egelband

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If anyone likes chicken marsala, Emeril has a great recipe and it's super easy to make. I've made it a few times and it always comes out fantastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad