OT: Iron Chef HFNYR (Recipes/Game Meal or Snack Pics)

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
****, you just reminded me I have to put the puff pastry in the fridge to thaw out. :laugh:

Making pigs in blankets. Had some amazing poutine tonight for dinner from this place called Pink Bicycle.

o.jpg

OMFG.

The dream. FU CANADA

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
I am looking at this thread and an ad for Mama June shows up and i think of her recipe for sketti, ketchup and butter.

spaghetti-ketchup-19.jpg

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
****, you just reminded me I have to put the puff pastry in the fridge to thaw out. :laugh:

Making pigs in blankets. Had some amazing poutine tonight for dinner from this place called Pink Bicycle.

o.jpg
I experimented w. poutine recently. Made it w/ yucca fries. And instead of cheese curds, used blue cheese & smoked gouda. And added habaneros. Came out quite good.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How do yucca fries compare to potato? I've never had them.
I had to buy the yucca first and then cut them into shape. The yucca is more starchy. Makes for a better flavor. They can also be healthier, but that is not why I tried it.

I would boil the yucca first, along with garlic. Then you can fry it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Moonshine apple pie

What you'll need:

1 quart 190 proof everclear and it's legal in NY so check out the local liquor store
1 gallon apple cider
1 gallon apple juice
4-5 cinnamon sticks
2 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla--or maybe just a little more.
1 pot able to handle 2 gallons worth of liquid
somewhere between 9 or 10 quart mason jars with lids.

Pour apple cider and apple juice into pot--add white and brown sugar, cinnamon sticks and vanilla--stir it good. Bring to a boil. Let sit until it cools off and you want it to cool off. When cooled off add everclear and stir for a couple minutes. Put into jars and refrigerate. It's best if it sits for about two weeks. A very smooth drink but it has some kick to it and can sneak up on you.

I have a variation of that which is Moonshine Peach Pie

Peach cider can be found in southern states like Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. It's quite a bit more expensive than apple cider. I'm going to make some of this in the next couple days. This year I went online to get a gallon and between the cost and shipping it was close to $40 just for a gallon. A friend gave me a bottle of everclear (about $30) which kind of negated that. Even so it's more than twice as expensive to make Moonshine Peach Pie than Moonshine Apple Pie.

For the Peach Pie:

1 quart Everclear
1 gallon Peach Cider
about 128 oz's of canned or jarred peaches (in peach syrup--not fruit or apple juice--peach and nothing but peach) from the grocery store
depending on how sweet you want it 2 or 3 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
a large enough pot to boil two gallons of liquid
9 or 10 mason jars with lids.

Pour peach cider and jarred peaches in peach syrup into pot--add sugar and vanilla--stir it good--bring it to a boil. Let sit until it cools off and again you want it to cool off--add everclear and stir for a couple minutes. Put into jars and refrigerate and again it's best if it sits for a couple weeks. Just as a note--the peaches do have a habit of soaking in some of the booze and some people will start scarfing them down like candy.

I feel like these are the exact recipes I posted a while back on here! ;)

Apple Pie moonshine is the best.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
So we always go to my inlaws house for Christmas. Well used to. We campaigned to host Xmas since we are the only ones with young children. Xmas dinner was always a beef roast & ham centered meal that was average at best. Luckily my wife is a bad ass. So this year we serving an all day feast-all home made

Italian meats and cheese plate
Wisconsin cheeses and sausage
Bacon wrapped, stuffed jalapeños

Lasagna made with spicey Italian sausage and my wife's homemade sauce
A roasted turkey breast & gravy
A prime rib roast
Mashed potatoes
Sweet corn that was canned this summer to save for Christmas dinner

And I'm probably forgetting several things. This is gonna be like Thanksgiving on PEDs.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I experimented w. poutine recently. Made it w/ yucca fries. And instead of cheese curds, used blue cheese & smoked gouda. And added habaneros. Came out quite good.

It looks delicious. :)

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Thinking about going all out this year and getting the General Tsao's combo with a free Christmas themed fortune cookie.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Made some stuffed mushrooms, salsa and guacamole, turned out really good. Happy holidays to all!

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Perhaps a new New Year's Eve tradition in the making: Ragù alla Genovese, a delicious and herby sauce of beef, charcuterie, and onions. It takes hours to make, but it tastes like love.

MRc0wtkl.jpg

Recipe in the collapse.

[Collapse=recipe]Pasta with Beef and Onion Ragù
Prep Time: 1 hr | Cook Time: 3 hr | Servings: 6 to 8 servings | Difficulty: Medium

Ingredients:

1 boneless beef chuck eye roast (about 1 to 1.25 lbs), cut into 4 pieces and trimmed of large pieces of fat
Kosher salt and pepper
4 ounces pancetta, cut into half-inch pieces
3 ounces salami, cut into half-inch pieces
1 small carrot, peeled and cut into half-inch pieces
1 small celery rib, cut into half-inch pieces
3 pounds onions, halved and cut into one-inch pieces
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine, divided
2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram (or oregano), divided
1 pound pasta (prefer rigatoni)
1 ounce Pecorino Romano cheese, grated (1/2 cup), plus extra for serving

Directions:

Sprinkle beef with 1 teaspoon salt and half a teaspoon of pepper and set aside. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees.

Process the pancetta and salami in a food processor until ground to a paste, about 30 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add carrot and celery and process 30 seconds longer, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Transfer the paste to a Dutch oven and set aside. Do not clean out the processor bowl.

Pulse onions in the food processor in batches until eighth- to quarter-inch pieces form, 8 to 10 pulses per batch. Look out for any huge pieces.

Cook pancetta mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until fat is rendered and fond begins to form on bottom of pot, about 5-10 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until browned, about 2-3 minutes.

Stir in 2 cups water, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in onions and bring to a boil. Stir in half a cup of wine and 1 tablespoon of marjoram.

Add the beef and push into the onions to ensure it is submerged. Transfer to the oven and cook uncovered until the beef is fully tender, 2 to 2.5 hours.

Place the pot on the stove over low heat. Transfer the beef to a carving board. Using two forks, shred the beef into bite-size pieces. Once the meat is shredded, turn the stove up to medium heat and cook the onion sauce, stirring frequently, until it is almost completely dry. This step can take up to 30 minutes, but it's extremely important. Stir in the remaining half cup of wine and cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir beef and remaining 1 tablespoon of marjoram into the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat, cover, and keep warm.

Bring 4 quarts of aggressively salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add pasta and cook to one minute shorter than package directions, stirring often. Drain the pasta and add to the warm sauce.

Add Pecorino and stir vigorously over low heat until the sauce is slightly thickened and the pasta is coated and al dente, 1 to 2 minutes.

Serve with extra grated Pecorino.[/collapse]

Reactions: slocal

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I'm gonna try this out next Sunday for the family Gusta, looks really nice.

I have a surprise food item coming either this or next month. Stay tuned :laugh:

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Perhaps a new New Year's Eve tradition in the making: Ragù alla Genovese, a delicious and herby sauce of beef, charcuterie, and onions. It takes hours to make, but it tastes like love.

MRc0wtkl.jpg

Recipe in the collapse.

[Collapse=recipe]Pasta with Beef and Onion Ragù
Prep Time: 1 hr | Cook Time: 3 hr | Servings: 6 to 8 servings | Difficulty: Medium

Ingredients:

1 boneless beef chuck eye roast (about 1 to 1.25 lbs), cut into 4 pieces and trimmed of large pieces of fat
Kosher salt and pepper
4 ounces pancetta, cut into half-inch pieces
3 ounces salami, cut into half-inch pieces
1 small carrot, peeled and cut into half-inch pieces
1 small celery rib, cut into half-inch pieces
3 pounds onions, halved and cut into one-inch pieces
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine, divided
2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram (or oregano), divided
1 pound pasta (prefer rigatoni)
1 ounce Pecorino Romano cheese, grated (1/2 cup), plus extra for serving

Directions:

Sprinkle beef with 1 teaspoon salt and half a teaspoon of pepper and set aside. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees.

Process the pancetta and salami in a food processor until ground to a paste, about 30 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add carrot and celery and process 30 seconds longer, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Transfer the paste to a Dutch oven and set aside. Do not clean out the processor bowl.

Pulse onions in the food processor in batches until eighth- to quarter-inch pieces form, 8 to 10 pulses per batch. Look out for any huge pieces.

Cook pancetta mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until fat is rendered and fond begins to form on bottom of pot, about 5-10 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until browned, about 2-3 minutes.

Stir in 2 cups water, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in onions and bring to a boil. Stir in half a cup of wine and 1 tablespoon of marjoram.

Add the beef and push into the onions to ensure it is submerged. Transfer to the oven and cook uncovered until the beef is fully tender, 2 to 2.5 hours.

Place the pot on the stove over low heat. Transfer the beef to a carving board. Using two forks, shred the beef into bite-size pieces. Once the meat is shredded, turn the stove up to medium heat and cook the onion sauce, stirring frequently, until it is almost completely dry. This step can take up to 30 minutes, but it's extremely important. Stir in the remaining half cup of wine and cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir beef and remaining 1 tablespoon of marjoram into the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat, cover, and keep warm.

Bring 4 quarts of aggressively salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add pasta and cook to one minute shorter than package directions, stirring often. Drain the pasta and add to the warm sauce.

Add Pecorino and stir vigorously over low heat until the sauce is slightly thickened and the pasta is coated and al dente, 1 to 2 minutes.

Serve with extra grated Pecorino.[/collapse]

That's awesome Gusta! I made a bunch of dishes over the holidays I'll post some later.

I've been really trying to get into "modern" presentation plating style.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
That's awesome Gusta! I made a bunch of dishes over the holidays I'll post some later.

I've been really trying to get into "modern" presentation plating style.

I don't know, man. I'm pretty sure you could cook all our butts under the table.

I just do it because I find cooking for real at home to be immensely therapeutic. I'd definitely want to see what you come up with sometime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->