Interesting Info: Part XXI (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Speaking of defensemen and the work they're doing here... The Athletic has a piece out today on defensive deployment situations:
Which NHL defencemen have (and haven’t) earned their coach’s trust? Analyzing matchup data from all 32 teams

For the Jackets...

Screen-Shot-2022-02-09-at-8.21.02-PM.png

With the departure of partner Seth Jones, the Columbus Blue Jackets have turned away from using Zach Werenski in a matchup role. That responsibility has instead fallen on the shoulders of Vladislav Gavrikov, who’s also had to deal with a rotating cast of partners — a very challenging role to say the least.

Andrew Peeke also stands out here. The big, young right-handed defenceman wasn’t even expected to crack Columbus’ roster as an everyday defenceman this season but has gained trust in a top-four role.

Who here had Gavin Bayreuther as our #2 guy for handling tough minutes? Anyone? Anyone at all? :scared:
Also, I knew Boqvist was being sheltered but holy hell.

makethesave

Nov 8, 2021
Speaking of defensemen and the work they're doing here... The Athletic has a piece out today on defensive deployment situations:
Which NHL defencemen have (and haven’t) earned their coach’s trust? Analyzing matchup data from all 32 teams

For the Jackets...

Who here had Gavin Bayreuther as our #2 guy for handling tough minutes? Anyone? Anyone at all? :scared:

Wow, that is interesting. I also did not suspect that in Bayreuther's 24 games. But not at all surprised by Boqvist's sheltered minutes...it's so apparent.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Bayreuther and Harrington are just as good defensively as Gavrikov and Peeke.

So is Bean, and he also adds offense.

Bye

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Gavrikov is outscoring Bean?

Which means what exactly?? That he gets “lucky” secondary assists?? That “statistics” can’t be trusted to make an evaluation??

He has a hard/heavy shot that he DOES have an above average quality to get through traffic onto a goalie.

Other than that, his offensive game is BRUTAL and negatively affects the team while he’s on the ice.

He also seems to get credit defensively for his “reputation” the way Peeke gets credit for “potential”.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

For the Jackets...

See I look at that and almost all of them are the same. The quality of competition difference between Gavrikov at one end and Bean at the other isn't that much. Everyone plays everyone. Only Boqvist derives a very big advantage. I side with the analysts that say zone starts has a bigger impact than qual-comp. Except for maybe playoffs, that is when coaches get a little wild with line matching.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So....let's trade Peeke. What can CBJ expect to get in return ? Keep in mind this is really only his first full season with only 77 NHL games under his belt. A 6'3", 200 lb, RHD that's a two-way defenseman with snarl. What could we expect back in return ?

You're allowed to discuss things that our young players need to work on, it doesn't imply that you want them traded. That's a poor caricature.

Reactions: thebus88 and VT

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
See I look at that and almost all of them are the same. The quality of competition difference between Gavrikov at one end and Bean at the other isn't that much. Everyone plays everyone. Only Boqvist derives a very big advantage. I side with the analysts that say zone starts has a bigger impact than qual-comp. Except for maybe playoffs, that is when coaches get a little wild with line matching.
It would probably be best to look at the whole article (and thus what other teams look like) for that kind of context.

makethesave

Nov 8, 2021
You're allowed to discuss things that our young players need to work on, it doesn't imply that you want them traded. That's a poor caricature.

That "trade Peeke" was.....sarcasm. Prompted by an earlier post. Of course that would make obvious zero sense to trade him (although the return could be very good). In fact, we will likely have both Gavirkov and Peeke here long term.

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
What’s the franchise record for worst +/- for one season ? Laine managed to end up with -28 last year but Bjorkstrand is allready at -27

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Bayreuther and Harrington are just as good defensively as Gavrikov and Peeke.

So is Bean, and he also adds offense.

Bye
Late comment here, but Harrington has consistently been our worst defenseman for lord knows how long. He’s slow, constantly out of position, and just overall not a smart player.

The fact that you say he’s as good as Gavrikov defensively shows that your talent evaluation has serious issues. Guess it’s creeped over from your goalie evaluation as well.

Reactions: NotWendell

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
While I do not think the CBJ can make the playoffs, if they are, now would be the time to catch the Capitals. 10 points back with a game in hand. The Caps have a difficult next 5-10 games.

CBJ have NJ LA BOS TOR @NYI MIN VGK @OTT WSH.
Bolded are ‘must win’ and then if you can steal a few points from the other games you’re in a good spot.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So, this:

Dunno if he specifically has received any such threats, but Gavrikov is one of Milstein's clients.

(Also, a preemptive reminder that general politics discussion is still Not Okay)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
So, this:

Dunno if he specifically has received any such threats, but Gavrikov is one of Milstein's clients.

(Also, a preemptive reminder that general politics discussion is still Not Okay)

How about specific politics discussion (specific to hockey, that is)?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How about specific politics discussion (specific to hockey, that is)?
Let's try to keep it Jackets-focused here, for the benefit of my and DSL's and Cdub's sanity. ;) There's threads on the IIHF and NHL statements on those things in NHL general.

(Fair warning, tho - the NHL statement thread in particular is... a bit of a wild mess.)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The teams against - 60 games:
5c3a97cbbb82.jpg

Boston has 2 PO teams from 6.
Washington has 3 PO teams from 5, but one of them is Edmonton.
Columbus has 5 PO teams from 6.
Detroit has 5 PO teams from 6.
Islanders has 4PO teams (now) from 10.
-----------
It`ll be very difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad